PDA

View Full Version : What to Charge?

Sharonw
10-03-2011, 09:09 PM
Hi,
I am trying to figure out what to do and I need your help. I have been taking care of two boys recently, one is mild autistic and his younger brother. I have the mild autistic one just after school. Currently I charge for him $17.50 per day. I have his brother in the afternoon as he is in kindergarten in morning, I charge $30 per day for him. The mum just asked me if I would mind taking the boys to school in the morning as well. I suggested to her that I would have to adjust the rate slightly for the extra time they are in my care. I suggested an extra $4.50 per day for the two boys. So it would work out to an even $20 for the older boy, and $32 for the younger boy. She did not seem too pleased. Am I right in charging slightly more, or not? I need some advice.:ohmy:

Play and Learn
10-04-2011, 07:01 AM
Yes You are right for charging more!!! I would have asked more $35, and $22, but that's just me! You have to remember (and the parents too) that you're providing THEM a service.

You even said,
I suggested to her that I would have to adjust the rate slightly for the extra time they are in my care. So why is she not pleased?!

waterloo day mom
10-04-2011, 07:18 AM
You are doing something for them. You are not doing it as a favor, you are doing it as part of your job. Just like adding a manicure to your spa day increases the price. Extras cost more, she just needs to realize that. You're getting all the kids dressed, out the door, and getting the kids to school... this mom needs to start valuing your time and effort.

playfelt
10-04-2011, 07:57 AM
I am assuming that the boys are not in your care in the mornings. If you start doing the morning school runs remember that the length of time it takes includes from the time they arrive until the time you are back in your house - not just the time you drop at the school. Also it means you can no longer fill the morning slot with a part time child so in effect the parent is now asking for the equivalent of full day care with only a couple hours away in the morning for the kindergarten child and before and after for the older boy which is almost like doubling his hours in your care.

Sharonw
10-04-2011, 08:16 AM
Thanks ladies for all of your advice. Talked to the mum this morning, she told me it is not about the money. She said she already has her son (the autistic one) signed up for a special bus in the morning's. Her husband is trying to change his shift in the morning so he can go in a little later. She understand that I already have a hefty load of kids that I walk in the morning too, 3 of my own and 3 daycare children. She thinks, which I also agree, that adding two more may be a little too much, especially in the winter.

I wonder if I had offerered my services in the morning without the extra charge would it of been a different story this morning. Hard to know.

Sharon

Sharonw
10-04-2011, 08:18 AM
I guess she wasn't pleased because she is already forking out $475 to me every two weeks. I am essentially asking for $45 more every two weeks to walk her boys. She told me this morning though it is not about the money, so I really don't know now what is she thinks.

Play and Learn
10-04-2011, 08:31 AM
It's about the money....but they don't want you to think it is! Good luck!

Sharonw
10-04-2011, 09:41 AM
You are probably right Play and Learn. Oh well.

playfelt
10-04-2011, 10:12 AM
It is totally about the money. I think she figured since you were going to the school anyways that it was no bother to just take her two as well and so why pay you were already doing it so it isn't like it is an extra service at least in her eyes. What she needs to realize is that you are being paid for the service by the other children and if she wants the service she needs to pay for it too. Maybe if you even explained it to her this way she would admit it is the cost or at least realize that it is an add on item.