PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving Crafts?

zen39
10-04-2011, 10:05 AM
Just thought I would see if anyone is doing a Thanksgiving craft for the DK's to give to parents? If so, any ideas for two and three year olds?

Thanks.

playfelt
10-04-2011, 10:15 AM
We don't do specific for the parents type crafts throughout the year because I have several with separated/divorced/remarried parents so it saves creating issues when you are dealing with several parents and even more sets of grandparents. But we are making turkeys where I will print the body of the turkey for them to colour - I print on beige cardstock so it is semi coloured no matter what colours they scribble on. And then trace the hand and cut several times from construction paper for tail feathers.

KingstonMom
10-04-2011, 12:42 PM
Yes, the hand turkey craft is what i was going to suggest! kids love tracing their hands!!
Another one for fall time (not specifically Thanksgiving) is to draw a tree trunk and cut out from brown construction paper, and trace their hands as the leaves of the tree and glue on top. Using lots of different colour 'leaves' for the fall colours.
I dont think it makes a difference if parents are divorced/seperated, i just send the craft home with whomever picks up that day. If it is a concern, that dck wants craft to go with mommy, then suggest the dck make two of a certain drawing/craft...

playfelt
10-04-2011, 01:12 PM
For general work/crafts we do it goes home at the end of the day and that is it so no it doesn't matter parental status. But the question was about special things for parents - they generally cost more money, take more time and are meant as gifts not just the craft of the day. Those are hard to duplicate and as a similar question was asked about grandparents day what could be two sets of grandparents for some kids could be 4 sets of grandparents for others and in this day and age some of those grandparents are divorced and remarried. At the risk of causing parental battles better to just let the day slide with the idea my contract is with the parents. If they want their child to do something special for the grandparents that is their responsibility. For occasions such as Thanksgiving or Valentine's day or Easter it is nice to make the craft something concrete as in 3D not just on paper. That way it can sit on display wherever the child goes, looks like a gift, but does not need to be over the top in terms of complexity or cost to be appreciated.

Skysue
10-04-2011, 01:27 PM
Just thought I would see if anyone is doing a Thanksgiving craft for the DK's to give to parents? If so, any ideas for two and three year olds?

Thanks.

We made Give Thanks cards with a nice saying inside about family!

For each new morning with its light,
For rest and shelter of the night,
For health and food, for love and friends,
For everything Thy goodness sends.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson

You could also do the give thanks Turkey, make a turkey out of construction paper and on it's wings put, words like, blessing, love, family, friendship etc...

http://www.dltk-holidays.com/thanksgiving/m-givethanks-turkey.htm

JennRichards
10-31-2011, 09:56 AM
Give thanks cards are a great idea. I usually make table place cards with the kids. They include sayings on them about their family members and it also helps them feel good about helping with Thanksgiving dinner. I used this guide to make these.

http://factorydirectcraft.c om/factorydirectcraft_b log/burlap-button-turkey-placecards/