PDA

View Full Version : Possible move to South Fallingbrook Orleans

sunnydays
10-05-2011, 07:56 AM
I have a daycare in Beacon Hill North (Otttawa) and we are looking for a new house. We found one we love, but it is in South Fallingbrook Orleans. It would mean starting over with new daycare clients. Does anyone live in that area or know how the daycare scene is in that area? I am trying to find out how much demand versus supply there might be there. Any info would be wonderful! Thanks!

playfelt
10-05-2011, 08:06 AM
I do. Charlemagne and Merkley area near St. Peter's High school.

Demand comes and goes. There are definitely more caregivers than kids most of the time but at the same time people travel around Orleans if the care is good. There are many of the "fly by night" kind that start up when mat leaves are over thinking it is the best of all worlds only to be faced with the reality a few months into it. There is always a demand for school age which I don't do and make it clear in my ads but always get a few desperate callers non the less. The longer your hours are the better - again by the time people travel the extra distance in rush hour traffic from where you are now they may need an extra 20 minutes so consider that when you set your hours. Rates vary from $35 - $45 so probably about the same as where you are now.

Go to the homepage for daycare bear and put in your new postal code and it will bring up a list of caregivers starting with the ones closest to you. Check what they are listing for hours and rates and also their writeups to get a sense of what they are offering. I find people in this area fussier than in some other places I have lived. If you speak French that is a definite plus which I don't.