PDA

View Full Version : Runabout questions.

3littlemonkeys
10-05-2011, 12:22 PM
Hi

I am looking at getting a runabout for my dayhome. I live in Calgary and the snow is always a problem and my elbow is not to good after a break last year.

Has anyone tried it? Is it good in snow and getting onto sidewalks?
And which ones do you have? Is it better to get all in a single row or side by side?

It is a huge, cost so I need to make the right choice.

I bought the Valco Tri mode with toddler seat. It is 3 years old and the front wheel broke off today. :woot:They will fix it - at a cost to me as warranty is only 1 year.:(
But I am guessing in 3 years I will be back in the same boat.

It cost me over $1000 with the bells and whistles :woot:. It is okay in snow (better than many strollers) but not great. When I invest again I must make a better choice. Please all feed back is welcome!!:rolleyes:

Spixie33
10-05-2011, 01:26 PM
I had this same question a couple of months ago and got some great answers in this thread.....
http://www.daycarebear.ca/forum/showthread.php/539-Runabout-Questions
Everyone was so helpful with their input and I really had a hard time finding anyone who had a bad thing to say about the strollers.
I officially placed my order for a quad stroller last week and I am waiting for it to be delivered in the next couple of weeks.
I am excited and nervous.
I felt worried about spending that much money too and wanted to think long and hard about it and see what the negatives are but there really don't seem to be any negative reviews on anything other than the price (although it has EXCELLENT resell value) and that it is hard to transport with a car (I don't plan to)
:)
I am sure you will get some good responses

Spixie33
10-06-2011, 09:41 AM
http://www.daycarebear.ca/forum/showthread.php/473-Winter-Dilemma-How-do-you-get-from-A-Z

This was another great thread with info about the runabouts and other alternatives

Emilys4Guppies
10-06-2011, 11:22 AM
I have a Runabout quint and I love it. I'm in southern Ontario. It's great in the snow and pushes better than the Peg Perego triple I had. My good friend and I both have one. She's had hers for 5 years now and I've had mine for 1. We both do 4 miles a day with them, rain or shine. She has replaced her back wheel twice (but he has changed the design since and she hasnt' had a prob) and I have yet to have any repairs. The frame has a lifetime warranty. The wheels my friend replaced we done for free for her by the manufacturer. Roger Berg is extremely good with his customer service and won't disappoint.

It's a worthy investment for a dayhome that does a lot of travel by foot.

jodaycare
10-06-2011, 12:45 PM
I have the six seat version of the runabout and I love it, I have had it about a year now. I had two quads before that and I sold them for excellent money.

3littlemonkeys
10-19-2011, 11:12 AM
Thank you. I will be pushing through snow and cold from November to May each year (being in Calgary). So I worry about how it glides through the snow when filled with children.

Spixie33
11-18-2011, 11:11 AM
Today we had our first snowfall that actually covered the sidewalks and lawns and had some ice underneath.
In the morning I decided to use my choo choo wagon for the bus run and had a hard time pulling it with two 30 pound kids inside.
after our bus run, I decided to try how the Runabout Quad would handle itself. We live in a very hilly area where there are large downhills and uphills all over the subdivision when you walk so I wanted to try it out.
The Runabout was fantastic. It was the first day where I felt like I made the right choice buying it. My own shoes/boots were slipping and sliding up some of the hills but the runabout was easy to push with two 2.5 year olds in it and never lost traction. It was a dream to drive on the ice and snow and easy to push even up the steepest hills where I was trying it out
I liked driving the runabout better on the snow than I do on dry ground.
I have only had the Runabout one month now and would say it this way

Disadvantages: :unsure::huh:

The front wheel on the quad is not a swivel wheel so that means you have to lift the stroller slightly to turn it which can be kind of awkward on dry ground. I really wish there was a swivel wheel. That is the worst feature of the stroller

The blue canopy that covers the stroller as part of the weather cover makes it impossible for you to see the kids in the stroller unless you stop the stroller and go look. Today one of the kids had taken off their mitts and his hands were turning red from cold but I didn't see it until I pulled the stroller over and walked up to the front to see everyone and make sure everyone was okay. The canopy should have a window or something

The canopy is attached nicely with rods that go into the frame of the stroller but the bars then hit against the stroller handle whenever the terrain is bumpy and makes a clanging sound as if you are driving an old jalopy.

Getting kids into the stroller is hard because the space between seats is very tight. Putting a 2.5 year old or 30 pound child in can be a tight squeeze but they sit very comfy once they are actually in and buckled up.

]The stroller attracts a lot of attention and stares when you are out walking

Advantages :D:)

Excellent turning and traction on snow/ice
The canopy is sturdy and seems like it won't fly off in the wind
The harness system is quite secure with shoulder straps as well as a lap belt
The wagons are well made and seem like they will last
The stroller goes up sidewalk curbs very easily
Smooth, quiet ride other than if the canopy metal bars hit against the metal handlebar area
The kids love to ride in there
Easy to push even though the stroller is 75 pounds and I was pushing about 65 pounds of kids today
Goes uphill easier than it is to pull a wagon up hill
Sturdy weather cover

So far I would say this for the runabout... it seems like it will make my winter bus stop runs much better and less strenuous to go through snow

daycare woman
11-30-2011, 09:58 PM
spixie is right the runabout is better in snow and even slush than it is on dry pavement! This was when I realized how great it was. I have the 6 seater, because I stack it high with stuff to go to the park with I'm happy to have the extra space. But I do not like the bar in the back to make it not tip backwards. That is a bad design in my opinion. Its hard to grab and it sometimes sticks when moving it up and down to stablize. Other than that its a great stroller and everyone stares!

Kabloozi
09-04-2013, 08:01 PM
I had one for Ontario winters! I regret selling it :(...get one! Amazing and life Long reliable :)

treeholm
09-04-2013, 08:10 PM
I wish I had a runabout... I have a Foundations which isn't bad on flat areas, but today's walk was hilly, and it was awful... It must weigh at least 120 pounds with four toddlers in it, and I has to push with all my might... Last year I did not take it out at all in the snow, so we were stuck here from November to almost March... Not looking forward to that again...

pink
09-05-2013, 12:20 PM
I have a quad foundation stroller, it's very hard to push, I only bought the quad foundation because it was affordable, I would of loved to own a Runabout Stroller. They are very easy to push and winter weather is a breeze if you have to go to bus stop during our harsh Ontario Winters. If you can afford a Runabout spend the money, you can always sell it later on.