PDA

View Full Version : Before and after care question

3littlemonkeys
09-29-2014, 10:16 AM
Hi
I have been running my dayhome for many years but have just started before and after care. How do you calculate the hours? It is stessing me out.
I found on a site 0-2 hours and 2-4 hours and use the same rates which seemed good. How would you work it out.

Mon - Thursday:
He usually arrives at 8:30. Bus comes to pick him up at 8:45. But occasionally late up to an hour.
I leave to pick him up at the bus at 3:45 bus should arrive at 3:50 or just after. He goes home between 4:30 and 5:30

The parents are currently paying 2 hours. Which if bus is on time and they come at the end of the day is 2 hours even.

Fridays.
Same for the bus in the morning 8:30-8:45
Afternoon 1:45-4:30 /5:30

They pay 2-4 hour rate.

Today he arrived at 8:00. and will leave at 5:30. And after chatting last week is sounds like some days they want to bring him at 7:00 some days. which okay for me but goes over the time.

So my question is this. Do you charge them extra when the bus is late and for the added time in the morning. And if so how would you go about it?
My parents pay in advance for the month to come. would you keep a time sheet and inform them of time they are over?

Thanks

playfelt
09-29-2014, 10:57 AM
Many who do school age use an event pricing meaning child pays regardless of the time used as in up to two hours per event so doesn't matter if child comes at 7 or 8 but is gone by 9 the price is the same $15 or if they come after school no matter how long they stay the price is $15. Often the price changes to $25 if they come before and after school. Prices vary per area but you get the idea. Charging by the hour just gets confusing but yes if they come early charge more and if bus is late charge more. It will likely make more sense to charge more for the flat daily rate and then on the days the bus is late or child early it balances out with the rest of the week.

mickyc
09-29-2014, 10:58 AM
Personally I would pick a flat rate and that is that. They pay regardless of hours or attendance. Keep it simple and then it is easier to figure out and they will also know what to expect as far as what their payments will be.

3littlemonkeys
09-29-2014, 11:26 AM
thank you!
One other question. When working out before and after care you exclude school holidays right? I figure many will do camps and if they ant childcare those days it would be extra.
What are your thoughts?

torontokids
09-29-2014, 11:40 AM
This would depend on the arrangement you have with them. If you offer all day care on those days you have a different fee for the day e.g. $40. If they opt not to have them with you on those days they still pay the before and after care fee.

If you decide you don't want to offer the full day care then you let them know that they need to find alternate care those days and the B&A fee isn't due because it isn't available to them.

mickyc
09-29-2014, 01:07 PM
For myself anytime I have before/after school kids the rules are as follows: Flat rate due only on the days child attends for before/after school. If child attends morning OR afternoon OR both, doesn't matter same rate. I do not give refunds though so if a child is going to be away on any given day I must be told in advance, then there will be no charge. Days that there is no school I would not charge any fee if the child was not here, if I have room and take the child I charge a regular full day rate. When it comes to spring break/Christmas/summer holidays I take the child if I have room (full day rate), if not then no charge.

Rachael
09-29-2014, 01:17 PM
I never, ever charge on hours attended. If the child is present for any part of a day, that place is reserved for them for that day. I cannot fill the hours they don't use on a short-notice basis.

I would have a charge for before and after school care rate which would be a flat daily rate. If they only come in the morning, or only come in the afternoon, or are only here for a couple of hours, too bad. They are still taking a place.

Secondtimearound
09-29-2014, 03:24 PM
Thats how it almost has to be done, otherwise you are just losing money and your mind trying to keep track of everything !!!

Busy ECE mommy
09-29-2014, 04:28 PM
Flat rate only, no hourly rate. Charge a full day rate if they are in during school breaks(ie. $40)

3littlemonkeys
09-29-2014, 04:41 PM
Thank you! This transition to B&A care has been driving me nuts! Flat rate on school days it is. If they want school holidays they will have to let me know in advance.
I am also dropping the option for Before or After care only and doing 1 set rate.

Thank you all for your help.

mommydaycare
10-04-2014, 02:01 PM
I charge $7 for the mornings, $15 for the afternoons and if both morning and afternoon I charge $20.