PDA

View Full Version : What to do if a parent does not pick up their final receipt?

MunchkinMinder
10-05-2011, 03:54 PM
I was just going through my paperwork for an over haul, which I do every month around the 1st, and realized that the parents of a child who's care I terminated back in May never stopped by for their receipt. What should I do as I don't have a forwarding address for either the mother or the father?? Furthermore after noticing the receipt still in my receipt book I checked around and found a bag of the little girls belongings still up in the top of the closet that were all put together for pickup...but were never picked up.

Play and Learn
10-05-2011, 04:37 PM
Do you have a phone number that you can reach them at? Otherwise, it's up to them to get the receipt from you. I would just keep it on file, just in case!

playfelt
10-05-2011, 07:43 PM
They will figure it out by next April when they go to do their taxes. Just file it where you can find it and leave it up to them to contact you. As for the bag of stuff if you can store it fine but after the end of Dec if it hasn't been picked up you are free to do what you want with it. By then it won't fit anyways. Just like a school donates the lost and found to charity at the end of each semester.

mamaof4
10-05-2011, 08:39 PM
I would keep it on file and mail a copy via certified mail.

MunchkinMinder
10-06-2011, 09:33 AM
Thanks ladies! In response, I have no phone number or forwarding address as mom was in the process of moving that month and dad never got me his new address here in Calgary. And I guess after new years I'll just drop off the bag of stuff to the good will or somewhere, better that than it cluttering up my closet.

playfelt
10-06-2011, 12:51 PM
The same situation happens when a family leaves on bad terms. There is usually one more receipt for them. I give a weekly receipt with each payment but I also give an annual statement in January for taxes that summarizes the previous year. Those I just hang onto and wait for them to contact me to get it. There is no way I would pay to send it certified. The law says I have to make it available not jump through hoops to get it to them. All they have to do is pick it up or email me an address for mailing.

MunchkinMinder
10-07-2011, 09:40 AM
ok thanks...