PDA

View Full Version : Toys/food from home

Dreamalittledream
10-01-2014, 08:37 AM
So, my policy has been to allow my Daycare children to bring in toys from home as they wish; I think it reinforces well the share concept and it generally goes along just fine. Everyone understands that it's community property when it enters the daycare and is at risk of being broken. Some toys however, like today's singing Dora Doll (2 hours of 'do do Dora'!) tend to find adventures quickly to the cubby to have a rest;). However, my issue seems to be when little ones bring in breakfast in the run. The rest then want food..so, it ends up being double snack in the morning. How do you all weigh in on toys/food from home?

5 Little Monkeys
10-01-2014, 08:51 AM
I am like you in regard to the toys. It is stated in my contract that I would prefer if they stay home but if they do bring one in, it is not my responsibility to keep it safe and unbroken. If the parent and child both understand that it may end up broken or lost than it's fine to bring. I agree with you, it teaches sharing but it also teaches that this is xxx's toy and she is kind enough to share with us but she can also be able to play with it on her own. If it becomes too much of an issue though the toy goes away. I've never really had a problem with toys brought from home.

In regard to food, I do allow it. I will either let the child finish it and just tell the others that it's xxx's breakfast and you will get snack later (so does the child who brought food in but they usually don't want it which is fine too) OR I will take the food from the child and give it to them at morning snack with the others. It all depends on what it is, what we're doing when they come in and if they really want it at that point or not. Again, I've never had an issue of the other kids wanting to eat at the same time or eat the same thing as the child who brought it. They know that if I say no it's not the end of the world and they will get snack soon enough. I have found the little ones who don't understand that are too little to put up a fuss anyways and usually don't even realize that another child is eating because my snack table is in the kitchen and they are in the play room.

monkeys
10-01-2014, 08:59 AM
When I allowed the kids to bring toys from home, I had troubles with kids taking my toys home with them (hot wheels, trucks, planes, etc), so I stopped doing so.

I have set times for breakfast at my house. We need to take a couple of kids to school, so I serve breakfast until 7:30am. This gives the families who arrive at 7:25 time to finish their breakfast. If a child arrives with food they are welcome to eat it at the kitchen table, but when its time to get ready to go to school their breakfast is finished. I understand that a parent may sleep in and is rushed, but they usually only have to get one or two ready to get out the door. I have 6, it takes a lot longer to get all of them to the bathroom or diaper changed and into outdoor clothes. I need to start around 8 to have them all ready, and even earlier in the winter.

When I used to drive to preschool, a number of parents would tell their children that they could eat in my car. I had to tell the families no food in my car, its too messy and during the winter months I don't want to be vacuuming the car out when its freezing outside.

mickyc
10-01-2014, 09:46 AM
I don't allow toys from home. I have enough here there is no need to bring something from home.

The breakfast thing drives me crazy!! Lol I have in my policy that all kids must be fed breakfast BEFORE attending daycare. From time to time I have the odd child come in still eating their breakfast. I hate it when parents do this, depending on what it is I can't imagine what their vehicle must look like. I usually make the child sit at the table to finish. The other day a child came around 9 (snack is at 10) with his full breakfast still in hand. I sat him at the table until mom left and then it went in the garbage, I washed his hands and sent him off to play. I was annoyed. I have better things to do that worry about kids eating breakfast/added mess and then chances are the child wouldn't eat what I feed him in a bit (plus all the other kids thinking it was snack time already). I realize they were running late but the car ride is literally 3 minutes to my house and this kid is the slowest eater. He certainly wasn't going to starve in that hour! I can't stand kids coming in with food all over their hands/coat and then mom just sending them off to play. I usually scoop them up and say lets go wash those sticky hands first.

It is just one of those things that really annoy me LOL

torontokids
10-01-2014, 12:04 PM
I have a no food rule. I remind parents of the rule and either send it with them or I "hold on to it" (throw in the garbage). I had a severe peanut allergy so this was super easy to reinforce. This child has left for kindergarten but the rule still stands.

Re: toys- I don't allow outside toys either. The kids can have a blanket and a stuffed animal for nap time but those are inaccessible until nap. I have started doing a "show and tell" with Wed morning circle time and this is going really well. This allows the kids to bring a a toy and they share it with everyone then we put them away. I have different themes for show and tell as well so this week the kids brought in their favourite baby, last week they brought in a game they play with their family etc. The kids know that they need to share their toy or it goes away and I am with them facilitating this. Helps them learn to share, the parents dig it and the kids look forward every week.

Crayola kiddies
10-01-2014, 12:28 PM
I have a no toy rule .....and I serve a parent provided breakfast to all my daycare children so that's not an issue here.

Fun&care
10-01-2014, 12:47 PM
No food or toys here. I already have both! Lol

Dreamalittledream
10-01-2014, 12:48 PM
I have started doing a "show and tell" with Wed morning circle time and this is going really well. This allows the kids to bring a a toy and they share it with everyone then we put them away. I have different themes for show and tell as well so this week the kids brought in their favourite baby, last week they brought in a game they play with their family etc. The kids know that they need to share their toy or it goes away and I am with them facilitating this. Helps them learn to share, the parents dig it and the kids look forward every week.

I LOVE that idea! May have to borrow it:)

Secondtimearound
10-01-2014, 02:12 PM
If it's breakfast they have brought I will let them sit and eat it at the table , to me that is not the child's fault ! The others are told to go play and leave x to eat . I won't address early snack , just a simple , it's not snack yet .
I think teaching kids if someone has something everybody gets one is ridiculous !
If they have brought a snack item , that gets put up and they will have it for snack . They will not however get my snack .
I feel badly for children that are not prepared for the day , dressed , fed ect but I understand as a mother sometimes it's just been a rushed morning .
With toys , as long as the toy is shared and not causing a problem , ( Dora for 2 hrs ?? Wow you are amazing !!! I can't handle Dora's yelling ugh !)
I let them have it , if it a special toy it's fine for the child not to share again as long as they aren't causing issues with it .

mickyc
10-01-2014, 02:21 PM
I understand that it isn't the kids fault but if I felt bad for every child that didn't come prepared for daycare I would have to supply everything around here. Some parents are just not capable of being organized and yes their child will suffer because of it. I used to let kids sit and eat but I am so done with it! More mess, more hassle, disruptive of our routine. If one is allowed to do it in no time the whole crew will be doing it and then I might as well just serve breakfast and not have parents feed their own kids.

adaycarelady - OH I hear ya when it comes to crumbs! drives me crazy. My basement (when we were down there) was carpet and I hated when kids would get their crumbs all over the carpet. Food is for the table only IMO. my daughter very rarely gets to eat in the vehicle. I almost gag sometimes when I ask for parents to leave their child's car seat and they are so absolutely disgusting from food and drinks! YUCK!! I cringe at the thought of putting the seat in my clean vehicle.

You can tell it is something that really bothers me lol!!

Secondtimearound
10-01-2014, 02:41 PM
Well if they come with breakfast you are not supplying anything , just allowing them time and opportunity to be fed .

mickyc
10-01-2014, 02:46 PM
Still something that I don't allow anymore. When the kid who comes at 7:30 can come with fed and ready to start the day but another gets here at 9 and isn't ready for the day to start I have an issue with it! Bottom line is contract says to feed your kids BEFORE daycare so if they aren't finished eating in the car then sit in there and let them finish.

I used to allow a family to bring the children's breakfast because I felt bad for the kids as they had a long drive to my house. It was more work for me having to clean up after kids eating breakfast which normally wouldn't have been here, other kids coming in sitting down at the table too thinking they were getting to eat, often times breakfast was drive thru junk. I cut it out all together. My daughter has her breakfast before daycare starts so the rest of the kids certainly can too.

Secondtimearound
10-01-2014, 02:51 PM
Understandable !! If it's in your contract I get it than that it would be an issue for you.
For me all of my dcks come at 8 and I do not have a problem if someone brings and sits and eats breakfast .

Rachael
10-01-2014, 08:15 PM
..he rest then want food..so, it ends up being double snack in the morning. How do you all weigh in on toys/food from home?

And this is why I don't permit outside food. All children are expected to have had breakfast before they come. If a child hasn't had breakfast, then morning snack is at 9am and golly, they'll be ready for that. I am a day care not a cafe.

33 Daiseys
10-01-2014, 11:55 PM
no outside food or toys. I have mini stuffed anmals that are day care property for snuggling at nap time. they are washed with the bedding every week. No exception ever

33 Daiseys
10-02-2014, 12:00 AM
Well if they come with breakfast you are not supplying anything , just allowing them time and opportunity to be fed .

She id supplying time, care, extra cleaning time and cost, and extra time and work in consoling the other children that they can't have what "x" has. Also what is she has a time set for work, teaching, crafts, or outings? everyone has to suffer or miss out because one family cant get their act together?

5 Little Monkeys
10-02-2014, 07:32 AM
I think everyone runs their dc differently. If you don't want them bringing outside food that is up to you and it should be clearly stated in your contract so you don't run into issues with parents.

For me personally, it happens so rarely that a child comes in with food that it's a non issue for me. However, my daycare kids are taught that they don't always get what xxx has. This is just a life lesson that I believe needs to be taught early on or else we have self entitled adults later on. I'm also not super strict on my routine and it can change from day to day on the kids behaviour, mood, play, weather etc. There are so many variables that affect my routine. Each person is different though and that's okay! :)

Dreamalittledream
10-02-2014, 09:15 AM
no outside food or toys. I have mini stuffed anmals that are day care property for snuggling at nap time. they are washed with the bedding every week. No exception ever
Wow, love this idea too...every wash day I'm sorting who's stuffy, blanket etc. goes to who...this would completely solve that...thanks!

SillyGirl_C
10-02-2014, 04:46 PM
Slightly off topic, but on the laundering...
I am a parent. At the daycare my daughter attends I am required to bring bedding (sheet and blanket) every Monday. It is sent home Fridays for laundering. Anything that gets dirty during the week (clothing, bedding) is sent home same day and I must restock clean items.

Ladies, if you are doing laundry for the kiddos, you are working too hard :)

5 Little Monkeys
10-02-2014, 05:39 PM
Slightly off topic, but on the laundering...
I am a parent. At the daycare my daughter attends I am required to bring bedding (sheet and blanket) every Monday. It is sent home Fridays for laundering. Anything that gets dirty during the week (clothing, bedding) is sent home same day and I must restock clean items.

Ladies, if you are doing laundry for the kiddos, you are working too hard :)

lol, I used to do this but than decided it was just easier if I did it. I feel it's just a part of the job now....like cleaning the toys etc. In centres, we did the laundry so to me it's no big deal. I have other daycare laundry anyways and it only makes one load. I send home their dirty clothes though.

superfun
10-02-2014, 05:52 PM
I'm the same as 5LM. It's just easier if I do it. I'm washing all the hand towels, and the clothes I use to clean the kids after they eat. I may as well do the bedding as well. I'm sure it would just add the the monday morning stress if parents had to remember to bring the bedding each week, and I would have to have backup bedding here if they forgot.

Secondtimearound
10-02-2014, 08:06 PM
She id supplying time, care, extra cleaning time and cost, and extra time and work in consoling the other children that they can't have what "x" has. Also what is she has a time set for work, teaching, crafts, or outings? everyone has to suffer or miss out because one family cant get their act together?

I have a schedule that I keep to but I let the schedule serve me , I don't get all caught up in trying to keep it . I will just disagree .