PDA

View Full Version : Easy way to bake with the kids!!

5 Little Monkeys
10-06-2014, 07:36 PM
In past threads there has been a few who have posted that they never bake with the kids due to messiness, germs etc.

Here is a simple, quick and easy recipe for those who may want to try again!!

A cake mix
A can of pumpkin

Mix the two together and bake at 350F for 30-35 minutes (or until done)

Last year I did a spice cake and they were so good. Today we did a chocolate cake mix and I did add about 1/2 cup of milk to make the batter a bit less thick. They taste so good and according to the recipe I found online, only 2 WW points if you follow ww. I did mini ones so they're probably only 1 point! lol

Any other REALLY easy and quick recipes you have? I also made pumpkin donuts today and they loved shaking them in the bag to coat with the sugar. We had homemade butternut squash soup for lunch and it's an easy recipe too but the kids didn't help me with that as I made it yesterday.

http://www.cookingclassy.co m/2014/08/pumpkin-doughnuts/

http://ottawamommyclub.ca/soups-on-butternut-squash-recipe/

Lee-Bee
10-06-2014, 07:55 PM
Thanks for the ideas! I have all the ingredients to make the butternut squash soup tomorrow!!

I just need to clarify for the cake mix and pumpkin puree. Do you mean to make the cake mix as per the box directions and add the canned puree? Or, would I need to tweak the cake mix to accommodate the puree?

I need a kick to get baking with the girls...especially now that I only have 2 kiddos (19 and 23months). I would love any other suggestions for having them 'help' in the kitchen. Right now they just tear apart the pots and Tupperware cupboards and play at my feet :-)

5 Little Monkeys
10-06-2014, 08:03 PM
The soup was quite good! Even my husband liked it lol

Nope, just dump the cake mix into a bowl and add the pumpkin purée....no eggs or oil! Add a bit of water or milk if you use chocolate cake mix though as it seems to be thicker than a white, spice, carrot etc mix.

I have two that are 17 months and 21 months and they help me by dumping in the ingredients I have pre-measured, stirring ( I do the first stirs so the flour is mixed in a bit and doesn't go flying lol) and decorating. If they decorate I just write on the parchment paper which ones are theirs lol. The 2 three olds help a bit more with mixing, stirring, measuring and pouring. I only had my 2 little ones today though.

5 Little Monkeys
10-06-2014, 08:09 PM
When I worked in centres baking was a bit more chaotic but we would sit around the table and each child got one job and than took turns stirring. Make sure you have all your ingredients, spoons, bowls etc ready and within reach, have a bowl ready to wash hands and kleenaxes or paper towel handy just in case!

Rachael
10-07-2014, 05:50 AM
I cook with the older ones more routinely than I do with the very little ones. For me, I find pre-measuring the ingredients is the key. Then they can add the sugar, etc, to the mixer at the appropriate time.

For cooking ideas which include everyone, think about individual pizza with a English Muffin base. The children can then choose their own toppings before I put them under the grill/broiler to cook.

Then, depending on the parents and their preferences, some children can enjoy this...(One of my older children whose older sister was also in my care but she's now in school, so I know these parents wouldn't object)...https://www.flickr.com/photos/rachael2012/11327387716/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rachael2012/11327387716/

mickyc
10-07-2014, 08:59 AM
Thanks 5LM. I am still going to pass lol. I don't enjoy baking/cooking alone nevermind with kids lol

5 Little Monkeys
10-07-2014, 09:18 AM
Lol, I'm an odd one. I actually prefer to do my baking during work hours with the kids as it forces me to get it done. I've usually got it all done and cleaned up by 11am whereas on weekends I'm much lazier and don't get around to it until late afternoon.

Secondtimearound
10-07-2014, 03:39 PM
I made strawberry muffins this morning and my dd made her first batch of banana bread during nap !
My dayhome is all done downstairs and there is not a kitchen so I can't lol
I'm sorry lol I'm solo in the kitchen !!

Tangerine
10-09-2014, 12:03 PM
When I worked in centres baking was a bit more chaotic but we would sit around the table and each child got one job and than took turns stirring. Make sure you have all your ingredients, spoons, bowls etc ready and within reach, have a bowl ready to wash hands and kleenaxes or paper towel handy just in case!
I bake with the kids every Friday morning and this is how I do it as well. Right now I have two 2 years olds and a 3 year old but I start baking with them when they start with me at 1 year of age. I just make sure for the youngest ones that nothing is within their reach until it is their turn.
The other thing I do is as soon as we have added an ingredient, I go and put it away. It can sometimes get busy and this way I don't miss any steps or ingredients. I know if an ingredient is left on the table at the end then I missed it.
My group loves baking and we try all sorts of recipes. Tomorrow we are baking spiced pumpkin cookies. Blueberry yogurt muffins and oatmeal chocolate chip cookies are some of our faves though. And whatever we bake is our afternoon snack that day.

5 Little Monkeys
10-09-2014, 12:21 PM
I bake with the kids every Friday morning and this is how I do it as well. Right now I have two 2 years olds and a 3 year old but I start baking with them when they start with me at 1 year of age. I just make sure for the youngest ones that nothing is within their reach until it is their turn.
The other thing I do is as soon as we have added an ingredient, I go and put it away. It can sometimes get busy and this way I don't miss any steps or ingredients. I know if an ingredient is left on the table at the end then I missed it.
My group loves baking and we try all sorts of recipes. Tomorrow we are baking spiced pumpkin cookies. Blueberry yogurt muffins and oatmeal chocolate chip cookies are some of our faves though. And whatever we bake is our afternoon snack that day.

We sound a lot alike! I do the same, putting it away as I use it! More so just for the fact that it means less accidents of someone accidentally knocking it over!