PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else nervous ?

Secondtimearound
10-08-2014, 01:31 PM
I have a full dayhome right now and each family seems to be going on vacation ect all over the place . Last night I was sitting and thinking and got myself paranoid about all the different viruses and Ebola ect .
I know it's all out there , but I started feeling guilty that my dd has not only public places she can pick up germs but also my own home .
Is this bothering anyone else ? I get that kids go to school and are subjected to multiple opportunities for germs but ...
With each of my dcks there is numerous family members and last night was not a fun time thinking of all the people who's health /wellness affect my family !
I think I totally went over board but I was wondering if I'm the only one getting nervous ?

Dreamalittledream
10-08-2014, 02:03 PM
Me too! We were discussing a possible cruise over Christmas and I am so scared of exposure via Air and Cruise travel. My husband just shrugs it off. It is a scary world for sure. I remember reading the book 'Hot Zone' (Ebola Outbreak) about 20 years ago...and it terrified me then! I don't want to be one of those hand sanitizer attached to my hip, making my my kids paranoid Moms...but it's scary for sure!

Secondtimearound
10-08-2014, 02:07 PM
I'm already that mom lol !! But hearing dck picking family members up from the airport I'm trying to not get all worried !

Rachael
10-09-2014, 05:47 AM
NO, I don't worry. Maybe, having lost a husband, who was a health fanatic, who took good care of himself, made me realize that you can't control everything. When it's your time, it's your time. Of course that doesn't mean going crazy and not taking care of yourself or taking preventative measures that are reasonable like having a clean home, but there's no point in living in fear. Most of the things we worry about don't happen anyway. It's non-productive and steals your time and energy.

You can't control where other people go nor can you control the germs and diseases they come into contract with. Just think - how successful would you be in trying to stop the common cold coming into contact with your family. You'll drive yourself insane stressing about it.

bright sparks
10-09-2014, 06:00 AM
I have definitely given it some thought, especially since the announcement that someone in the US has tested positive for it in Dallas, TX and my husband has weekly work colleagues travelling from TX to Toronto so I have for sure had a conversation with my husband about it. That being said, I tend to overthink and worry about other things lol, this is not a cold or flu but a very dangerous epidemic so I think it's foolish not to give it some attention but that being said, I can not control other peoples actions or know their travel history so I don't concern myself with worry over those specifics. I am going back to the UK next summer so I'm hoping that this is somewhat under control by then considering the high population of African people there and the risks associated with that, but I can only imagine that majority of people aren't going to willing fully travel to these places with the outbreak being what it is currently. It seems also that the minute someone from the western world is even so much as suspected of having Ebola, the military are involved and every measure is taken to isolate them from the GP. I lose enough sleep over my "NOW" problems and while sometimes I can overthink other things, I'm usually to busy to worry for long. I miss far to much of the present as it is worrying about things which I am trying hard to combat and also I try to keep my anxieties to myself for fear of passing those onto my kids unnecessarily.

Lee-Bee
10-09-2014, 06:41 AM
I used to nanny for a family with 4 children (1-5yrs at the start) and the mom was a doctor (family medicine and walk-in).

My husband still calls them the black plague family. That family had EVERYTHING known illness (nothing major) but every cold, flu, and other minor illness. There wasn't a week where many of us weren't sick with something.

The mom brought home all her doctor germs, the older kids brought home all the school germs and the younger kids picked up all the playgroup germs. Then we all cuddled and shared what we brought home with us and it all mutated and spread and re-spread. The worst was when we all got H1N1...we all had it minor in the bigger realm of things but that was the worst I've every been...everything, including my teeth HURT for days.

It does get worrisome when we have these bigger illness threats looming overhead. But all we can do is be as preventative as we can. Keep our kids as healthy as we can (rested, active, well fed). I'm not as worried about the ebola right now as this other one going through with many children in the hospital with polio like symptoms. That one just seems so much easier to catch and more spread at the moment. :-(

Dreamalittledream
10-09-2014, 06:41 AM
NO, I don't worry. Maybe, having lost a husband, who was a health fanatic, who took good care of himself.
Really sorry Rachael.

bright sparks
10-09-2014, 10:13 AM
I'm not as worried about the ebola right now as this other one going through with many children in the hospital with polio like symptoms. That one just seems so much easier to catch and more spread at the moment. :-(

I've not heard about this Lee-Bee. Is there any published info about this that could bring me up to speed? I haven't heard a peep about this!

5 Little Monkeys
10-09-2014, 12:22 PM
This thread popped into my head last night as I was watching survivor lol.

Daisy123
10-09-2014, 12:31 PM
Here's an article from msn today.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/%E2%80%98no-plan%E2%80%99-to-make-enterovirus-reportable-in-ontario-as-toll-mounts-across-province/ar-BB8kjdB

Samantha33
10-09-2014, 01:20 PM
I had no idea there is something out there like this in Ontario. I was also surprised to see how many cases there are in Ontario and nothing is being done to report them. This is scary.

Lee-Bee
10-09-2014, 01:28 PM
I've not heard about this Lee-Bee. Is there any published info about this that could bring me up to speed? I haven't heard a peep about this!

It's been in the paper for at least 2 weeks now. It has a weird name (EV-D68 ), not as easy to remember as Ebola. It's a 'cousin' of sorts to polio but different enough that the polio vaccine doesn't protect. It's been around for a long time (nothing new) it just seems to be more prevalent this year so is in the news. There are a handful of children in hospitals across the provinces with it.

Just be aware, wash your hands often and stay healthy!

bright sparks
10-09-2014, 01:56 PM
It's been in the paper for at least 2 weeks now. It has a weird name (EV-D68 ), not as easy to remember as Ebola. It's a 'cousin' of sorts to polio but different enough that the polio vaccine doesn't protect. It's been around for a long time (nothing new) it just seems to be more prevalent this year so is in the news. There are a handful of children in hospitals across the provinces with it.

Just be aware, wash your hands often and stay healthy!

Not meaning to make this a for or against vaccination debate but do you think perhaps it is similar to the measles outbreak not to long ago and that as more and more parents choose not to vaccinate that more things are coming up and obviously as they mutate they are no longer covered by the regular childhood vaccinations? Just a thought

daycaremom9
10-09-2014, 11:23 PM
This brings to mind the threat of shingles. Just wondering if anybody has had them. Also if anybody has had the immunization against it.

Secondtimearound
10-09-2014, 11:58 PM
I had shingles about 2 yrs ago , it must of been mild as I wasn't in a lot of pain .

Rachael
10-10-2014, 07:31 AM
I had no idea there is something out there like this in Ontario. I was also surprised to see how many cases there are in Ontario and nothing is being done to report them. This is scary.

It's been all over the news here in NS with daily updates. I think it hit the news here at least two weeks ago.

Teagansmom
10-10-2014, 08:32 AM
My husband has had shingles, unfortunately you can't get the vaccine until you are 50 years old. I myself am concerned about this entrovius as it effects kids breathing. Systems start out as a common cold. All my daycare kids sleep in the same room and I have a video monitor but now I'm thinking when one has a cold I may stay in the room to monitor them just in case. The virus has already been reported in my area.

Secondtimearound
10-10-2014, 11:00 AM
Yes it really makes me nervous as my dd was rarely sick with anything before I started my dayhome . I started out scrubbing everything almost nightly and then switched to weekly as I read maybe I was going overboard ! Last year I had two that were constantly sick with cold like symptoms from October until they left in May . During that time my dd at 5 had her first ear infection and 3 prescriptions as well as myself and my assistant caught their pneumonia !
I worry as my dd is my youngest and basically an only as her next sibling is 14 years older , so she has zero child contact other than my dayhome ( which I started to give her child interaction )
How horrible would I feel if she ended up with something because of me !

SillyGirl_C
10-10-2014, 01:29 PM
I try not to get worried about it. It helps to remember that every illness helps built a stronger immune system. Of course, if a widespread serious illness is rampant in your area, I 100% agree with caution and care. At this time Ebola in the western world is contained and in control. My concern is more focused on the respiratory illness making its way over from the Eastern US. Article from Daisy123 posted earlier.
Yeesh...grim conversation....

Secondtimearound
10-10-2014, 02:05 PM
I was thinking the same thing silly girl ! It is prob not good to dwell on negative things !! I'm very positive around my family and really needed to vent my fears !
I usually say well it is what it is and we will do our best ! So maybe I should take my own advice ! Lol