PDA

View Full Version : Drop-in fees...am I charging too much??

MunchkinMinder
10-08-2011, 11:57 AM
I just had a parent call me inquiring about drop-in care. I told her that I charge $25 for up to 5 hours and $40 for 5-10 hours. She said that it was a bit high as there was a day home in her area that only charges $20 for a full day's care. I personally thought that the day home provider closer to her is undercharging and selling herself short.

I mentioned that I have 15+ years experience and provide all their meals and snacks through out the day. And really for on a Sunday, which would be the day in the week that she needs care for, I thought I was being generous not raising my weekday rate. What do you guys think?? Am I charging too much?? Or is this parent being unreasonable to think that I should charge in my opinion basically$2/hour or less for a full day??

Play and Learn
10-08-2011, 12:35 PM
Parent is being unreasonable. Drop-in fees should be higher in my opinion. She doesn't like it, the door is there!

playfelt
10-08-2011, 01:57 PM
If she was just coming on a day that I had open anyways ie filling in with other part timers then I would likely just charge my daily rate for the date. The fact it is a Sunday warrants a premium rate anyways. My weekend rate is $50. When I don't have other kids in care then I am the one entertaining the child all day and not getting my own things done so it needs to compensated. How regularly is she planning to drop in.

MunchkinMinder
10-08-2011, 02:41 PM
From the sound of it she was wanting to come every Sunday. That's why I was a bit stumped at why she was saying I was charging a bit high of a fee.

Play and Learn
10-08-2011, 03:34 PM
As playfelt said, you charge them a premium as they're taking your Sunday from them (for me, Sundays are a day of rest and cleaning up the house!). It's not high at all.

MunchkinMinder
10-08-2011, 04:17 PM
Thanks ladies...I didn't think I was charging too high, but sometimes I just like find out for sure if I was wrong or not lol

mlc1982
10-09-2011, 01:45 AM
I'm in Calgary and have my drop in rate set at $50.00. This is a weekday rate. I wouldn't even considering doing care on a weekend since this is mine and my families time, but if I was to do it I would charge at least that if not more. You are not being unreasonable.

mom-in-alberta
10-11-2011, 12:19 PM
My drop-in/part time rate is exactly the same, $40 daily. IF I was going to take in a child on Sundays (which I wouldn't, as it takes my own family time away; so she is darn lucky that you are even considering it) I would absolutely charge a premium rate.
Sounds like she is trying to get a "deal". Tread carefully with that one!

MunchkinMinder
10-11-2011, 02:08 PM
That is exactly what I was thinking mom-in-alberta. She was pushing for a better deal and that worries me. Not only because I'm taking a risk taking this family on but I also get worried for the type of care the child will end up getting if she goes with the lowest quoted price (ie. the $20/day I had originally mentioned).

Skysue
10-11-2011, 04:27 PM
Just ask her if she is looking for quality care or cheap daycare!

I just had a parent call me inquiring about drop-in care. I told her that I charge $25 for up to 5 hours and $40 for 5-10 hours. She said that it was a bit high as there was a day home in her area that only charges $20 for a full day's care. I personally thought that the day home provider closer to her is undercharging and selling herself short.

I mentioned that I have 15+ years experience and provide all their meals and snacks through out the day. And really for on a Sunday, which would be the day in the week that she needs care for, I thought I was being generous not raising my weekday rate. What do you guys think?? Am I charging too much?? Or is this parent being unreasonable to think that I should charge in my opinion basically$2/hour or less for a full day??

Cocoon
11-15-2011, 09:45 PM
I would kindly tell her to consider the one closer to her home as it is very cheap and she can also save on the gas and time to and from.

I always say "if you pay peanuts you will get monkeys" :)