PDA

View Full Version : Trying to fill 2 spots

daycaremom9
10-17-2014, 04:20 PM
I am getting very frustrated with trying to fill 2 spots. I'm in an area with a lower demand for daycare but am close to other areas that are in need. Sort of between two city centers with lots of families. I've had an empty spot for 5 months now. I've been noticing a trend of parents wanting group daycare. I'm just wondering how to compete with these daycare centers. Any ideas?

5 Little Monkeys
10-17-2014, 05:45 PM
For myself, I let parents know that I am a smaller group setting. They get the family home like environment and relationships but they also get a centre feel to it because my dc is in the basement with it's own kitchen, washroom, play room, naproom and a backyard for outside time. I also run my program like a mix of both....it's relaxed and nothing other than lunch and naptime is scheduled but we do have a fairly normal routine. Things like circle time, baking, art, story time, sensory play etc is all offered but it's not at set times every day.

Another thing I recently did to set myself apart was start a fb page for my dc. I was leery and hesitant to do so but so far it's working great.

I've had a spot open for about a month and a half and the not knowing when it's going to fill can be hard. Luckily I am okay financially for a bit. If it's still open in Jan/Feb I know it will fill then because I have an infant turning 2.

Ask your current families to spread the word as well as your friends and partner (if your married etc). Good luck!!

daycaremom9
10-18-2014, 11:21 AM
For myself, I let parents know that I am a smaller group setting. They get the family home like environment and relationships but they also get a centre feel to it because my dc is in the basement with it's own kitchen, washroom, play room, naproom and a backyard for outside time. I also run my program like a mix of both....it's relaxed and nothing other than lunch and naptime is scheduled but we do have a fairly normal routine. Things like circle time, baking, art, story time, sensory play etc is all offered but it's not at set times every day.

Another thing I recently did to set myself apart was start a fb page for my dc. I was leery and hesitant to do so but so far it's working great.

I've had a spot open for about a month and a half and the not knowing when it's going to fill can be hard. Luckily I am okay financially for a bit. If it's still open in Jan/Feb I know it will fill then because I have an infant turning 2.

Ask your current families to spread the word as well as your friends and partner (if your married etc). Good luck!!

Unfortunately my home doesn't have a second floor. We also have a pretty routine day with circle, arts & crafts, book club, sensory experiences. Right now I have all 4 year olds with the exception of two children that will be turning 4 soon. My clients like the fact that they're all about the same age since I have a preschool program. I've found that parents will often pull their kids around the 3 year old mark as they would prefer their kids to be in more of a preschool environment and around kids more of their age rather than the babies and toddlers. We also have a pretty large outside play area. I had asked a few of my clients to use them as references. One of the moms only wanted to give me a reference if it was for an older child.
I haven't had a slow period like this for a while so I guess it's just one of those times I have to ride out. I'm also concerned that I'll be loosing most of my clients in September when they all go to Kindergarten.
I don't know, maybe I should accept out of schoolers again.

Rachael
10-18-2014, 02:23 PM
It's hard when you have more than one opening. I went through that last year for the first time in 8 years and I don't ever want to repeat it.

I had two I knew would be going to school in Sept so against my better judgement, I permitted one of my FT'ers to drop to PT (which I never normally do) because the plan was they would return with the baby.

So 6 FT places fill but dropped to 5.5 in February but thought even though I'd lose two more in Sept, with the PT'er returning to FT and his sibling taking one place too, I'd only have one opening come September.

Then one of mine took a year off to be with her son before he started school - so down to 4.5 and another was posted to Ontario so I lost two siblings - down to 2.5 children and this is the sole income! It sucked and no one was even coming for interview let alone filling the places. Then PT'er dad got laid off and they didn't come back to FT until the Nov. It took until January for it to pick up and thank goodness by Feb I was back up to 5 and then this August finally filled the 6th place.

The market is saturated here and lots of people working for cash or really cheap which does affect the rest of us.

I try and avoid having more than 2 born the same year so to avoid the mass vacancies come September but with my current clients, in a couple of years, I will lose 4 at the same time for Primary school.

Other Mummy
10-18-2014, 06:10 PM
I've been doing this for 4 years. I have 2.5 spots to fill. One family left for mat. leave, my part timer is moving and the last spot was just vacated due to a family needing longer hours (11.5 hrs in the day...with the same fees...I wasn't going to do that). So I've always run a great program. Excellent references, etc. BUT....I cannot fill the spots as fast as I could in the past.

It is definitely a slow period for myself and the other daycare providers in my area. I'm upgrading my graphic skills in January. Then if I am still unable to fill spots, I'm going back to my graphic design career.

Thank goodness we have some savings. However, I hate to keep dipping into it. I love this job, but I hate the uncertainty of the finance side.

Van
10-21-2014, 01:36 AM
I hope you fill the spots soon dcmom9, and Other Mommy
it is hard as we have all been there at one time or another
I have being doing home d/c for over 10 years and lots of ups and down
if we can wait it out it works out fine it is just hard to wait
Hang in there everyone:)

daycaremom9
10-21-2014, 04:12 PM
I'll never forget when I lost 4 of my clients early on but can't remember why aside from one that was sending her son to the preschool at school. She worked from home and didn't really need daycare anymore. Anyway I was quite upset that I lost pretty well all my clients. I didn't realize that it wasn't that rare for that to happen. It's comforting to know I'm not the only one that this happens to.

5 Little Monkeys
10-21-2014, 06:04 PM
I'll never forget when I lost 4 of my clients early on but can't remember why aside from one that was sending her son to the preschool at school. She worked from home and didn't really need daycare anymore. Anyway I was quite upset that I lost pretty well all my clients. I didn't realize that it wasn't that rare for that to happen. It's comforting to know I'm not the only one that this happens to.

I felt the same in the past but now realize it's common. I'm already dreading next Fall as I could have 3 potentially leaving!! 2 to preschool and 1 to cheaper care as both parents are going back to school. I luckily have 1 for sure wanting a spot at that time, possibly 2 more but it's the unknown that stresses me out!

Other Mummy
10-23-2014, 08:18 AM
That's how I feel 5LM, that 75% of this job stress is actively looking for clients, interviewing and transitioning. I hate that part of the business. The financial ups and downs are nerve racking. I cannot imagine how I would do this if I was a single income earner.

Now that all 3 of my children are in school I am seriously considering hanging up my paint brushes and going back into my original field :( Very sad that I have to consider this but my area has dried up for pretty much all of us local providers.

Fun&care
10-23-2014, 09:00 AM
I hate the uncertainty too. I am just waiting for my youngest dd to start school next September and once she is settled in, if I happen to go through a dry spell again I will probably quit. I am doing this to be with my kids in their early years, but once they are in school all bets are off and who knows what could happen. If other career opportunities show themselves I will take them in a heartbeat.

5 Little Monkeys
10-23-2014, 09:05 AM
I do prefer when parents keep me in the loop but it's also a bad thing....now I'll be uneasy until closer to next Fall when I know what everyone is doing! The preschool ones may not leave because they don't want to loose their space here and both moms aren't sure if they can manage to get them back and forth to ps as some are just half days. They don't have jobs that allow them to leave during the day. The parents going to school are also not sure what they're doing. If they can't get subsidy through the college for Childcare they will have to leave for cheaper care.

Next Fall an old coworker turned casual friend wants a spot for her child and a mat leave mom also goes back to work then but is unsure if they can afford 2 spots in my dc. It's not fun not knowing!! :(

I have no children of my own but we are trying. It makes me uneasy though because that would take up a paying spot. It's very stressful not having a consistent and reliable income but for now, the pros still outweigh the cons.

Good luck to you if you decide to work out of the home again!! I imagine it's a hard decision to make!

Secondtimearound
10-23-2014, 01:38 PM
I love this job ( most days !!) and wish I would of started earlier . Having my one child at home , she will be 7 next year and I homeschool . I'm seeing a ceiling !! The last year was fun for her as she was 5 and "friends" were a novelty . This year I've noticed she is more frustrated . I am pretty sure I will close in June . We are thinking/planning a month travelling to reward everyone . It's hard to think of it really but in my case it doesn't make sense to be at home Monday to Friday when my family's lifestyle can allow us to homeschool while we travel or visit family or go places and experience things .
I wish I would of started in her 2 nd year . I'm now organizing myself towards "the plan".
Sorry I went off topic , I was thinking of your posts , I was thinking I will miss not having my dcks until they go off to school !

Other Mummy
10-30-2014, 12:29 PM
Wish me luck! I have a double interview tonight. First time I've done one like this, but they are acquaintances of each other from daycare. Their current provider is closing her doors and since I have 2 spots available....I would then be up to 4.5 daycare children. It's been a very slow 6 months. And the bonus for me...they are 2 girls 2.5 and 3.5.yrs of age.

This business certainly has it's highs and lows. It would be great to be full again!

5 Little Monkeys
10-30-2014, 08:16 PM
Good luck!!

Artsand crafts
10-30-2014, 11:54 PM

Judy Tricket has helped me a lot. I went from 8 months with a couple of calls and not interviews to at least 1 or 2 calls every week. She's awesome with marketing. She has also helped me to fine tune my business and now I have increased my income and improved the way to handle clients to make this business more motivating. I am also at full capacity. Even one family just left I already had their replacement signed on for January. I did not want to enroll a family earlier since I want to enjoy my newborn without a transition for the rest of this year.

She helped me when I was facing a very bad reputation (because the girl that died on a overcrowded home daycare, which is also the cause of Bill 10, was very close to my place). Also parents first choice here are daycare centers, then nannies and at the very bottom are home daycare. On top of that I was pregnant, but that did not turned off the family that I enrolled on June.

Her coaching site is: http://www.daycarecoaching. com/