PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Eve

zen39
10-11-2011, 11:11 AM
This year Christmas Eve is on a Friday. For those of you open that week, do you close all day for Christmas Eve? Close early that day? or work till close?

Just curious, thanks!

Katskids
10-11-2011, 11:16 AM
Hi! I think Christmas eve is on Saturday, with Christmas day Sunday. If I'm mistaken, then I will for sure have the Friday off!

zen39
10-11-2011, 11:25 AM
Thanks Katskids...you are right.

Play and Learn
10-11-2011, 12:11 PM
Just to answer your question, as if it were on a weekday. I would be closed. For me, it's a religious holiday, and time to spend with family. On Christmas Eve, we celebrate the birth of Christ at church, then dinner with family and close friends.

mom-in-alberta
10-11-2011, 12:14 PM
Last year, I planned on staying open, as I would have only had one family coming and they were doing a half day. It turned out that they decided not to come after all, so I ended up with it off.
I will in the future be taking it off it it falls on a weekday. I am usually the Christmas hostess, and I can certainly use that day without all the extra kiddos to finish everything last minute!!

MunchkinMinder
10-11-2011, 12:16 PM
As the holiday lands on a weekend I close either the Friday or Monday. As I am also closed on the 26th, this year I will close the Friday instead of the actual holiday.

Skysue
10-11-2011, 12:20 PM
Christmas is on a Friday & Boxing day is on the Mon then Friday and Monday are both stats! YEAH

playfelt
10-11-2011, 12:32 PM
Normally if Christmas Eve falls on a weekday I am open as usual but most pick up early. I do have it in my contract that I reserve the right to close early to facilitate family plans. We are involved with church services that night - our church as 4 to accommodate demand 5, 7, 9, and 11. Sometimes the youth were involved with tableau or singing for the 5 and then I closed at noon so they could rest up before the evening. Now we are just involved with the other three - teens for 7 and adult choir for 9 and 11 but it makes for a long night because once we arrive at 6 we are stuck there till midnight but we do things between services, share food, etc. so it is fun for the participants too.

Nifer
10-17-2011, 07:31 AM
Christmas is on the Sunday, boxing day is Monday and new years day is the Sunday.

Do we get stat pay for the 2 Sundays?

I was gonna take the week off between Christmas and New years bc most of my dcps will be off.

playfelt
10-17-2011, 07:53 AM
It all depends on what you have put into your contract to cover situations like this. Some specificallky put that they will take the Friday or Monday if the holiday falls on the weekend. Others just accept that it is the weekend so doesn't matter. Most parents will get the Friday or Monday off for weekend days and in that case you can insist on getting the same days too. As far as pay goes again that will depend on what you put into your contract. If they are weekend days then some people won't get paid the stat or get a day off work. Others will get paid or a day or both according to their contract. If you are with an agency, they will stipulate what you get in lieu of the day being on the weekend.

momplus6
10-17-2011, 08:16 AM
I have the week off in between paid so am not taking any extra days or charging for extra days.

MunchkinMinder
10-17-2011, 09:17 AM
I usually get the week between off paid because my parents do so for those 2 states only I usually don't make a thing about it landing on the weekend.

mlc1982
10-17-2011, 12:31 PM
I take lieu days as stated in my contract for any stat that falls on the weekend. This year I will be taking dec 27th (tues) in lieu of christmas and jan 2(mon) in lieu of new years. I will get paid for these as it's in my contract, as well as boxing day.
by the sounds of it, most of my parents are off that week anyways so it might be a quiet week anyways.

horsegirl
10-17-2011, 03:39 PM
My last day is Dec 22 and I reopen Jan 3, 2012. I have found in the past that most parents have the time off and the only children that show are the ones whose parents are home and the parents have decided to go for lunch, go to the mountain to ski, go shopping or just want the time away from their kids. I tried staying open my first year for Dec 24 and between Christmas and New Years, but the only child that attended was one whose father said "I'm paying for the day so I might as well drop him off". When my son was 6 years old he asked me one time about parents being home and dropping their children off at daycare. He asked "Mom, don't they like their kids?" Out of the mouths of babes. :)

I have worked it in my contract that I always take off the week between Christmas and New Years. It is a good time for me to recharge as well.