PDA

View Full Version : Structure, maybe to much

Samantha33
10-30-2014, 09:39 AM
Wow, we are having an inside morning here and I've let them take out whatever, whenever and they are playing wonderfully. No fighting, just playing. It's a mess but maybe that's what this group needs when they play. Do you let the kids just mess and play with whatever and then clean up everything or do they take one toy out and put it away? I am inbetween these two. I don't mind somewhat of a mess but not the whole room. And in addition they cleaned it all up themselves.

Daisy123
10-30-2014, 12:10 PM
Both actually. I have a "classroom" which is more structured- one thing at a time but in the regular toy room I let them take out anything they want at the same time. Like homeschoolmom though the toys are limited. I have a bin shelf, a toy box 2 wicker baskets and a few larger loose toys out at a time. They do their own clean up as much as possible. Sometimes I will ask them to stop though and clean up whatever they aren't currently using.

AmandaKDT
10-30-2014, 12:45 PM
I don't make them put back a toy every time in order to play with another. Often times it is a combination of toys that get played with - blocks and little people being used to build towers/houses, then trucks being loaded to drive it all around afterwards. I usually have them clean up if the floor is getting too cluttered (I can't stand stepping over toys!) or if it is apparent they have completely finished playing and moved onto something else.

**Didn't mean to put the thumbs down icon, don't know what it is there!**

Rachael
10-30-2014, 01:20 PM
I'm like AmandaKDT - they have a selection out without dragging it all out and then at the end of free-play, they have a mass put away. Periodically if it gets too spread out and there's no floor space, I'll push it into the middle.

mickyc
10-30-2014, 01:45 PM
I am the opposite by the looks of things. I let free play be that free play. I have tons of toys and by tons I mean tons! LOL Most days you cannot even walk across the floor but that is OK with me. They are all playing with something different and having fun. There are multiple things being played with together. I love watching them use their imaginations. I do have a few rules though. Costumes must be put back in the bucket and not just thrown on the floor and books must be put back once they read them so they don't get ripped. I also make the kids clean up after themselves. I do not help. For the little ones (under 2) I sit on the floor and hand them things I know they can put away (little people, blocks, cars). It usually takes a good 30 minutes to clean up, we only clean up once.

Currently we are upstairs as my basement is redone so I have a smaller amount of toys. I still do the same other than they must keep the toys out of the kitchen and not too many things down the hall.

One thing about letting them take everything out is running in the house is never an issue lol.

AmandaKDT
10-30-2014, 02:12 PM
U

One thing about letting them take everything out is running in the house is never an issue lol.

That's funny! Love it!

5 Little Monkeys
10-30-2014, 08:13 PM
I have a lot of toys...they are seriously in every closet and nook and cranny of my daycare, shed and garage lol. However, my playroom has toy shelves so the toys get rotated. I find this helps with keeping their imagination new and exciting as they don't get stuck in ruts. It keeps toys from getting broken or forgotten about. It also helps with cleaning!! When an illness goes through I only have to clean the toys in the playroom.

I am like Amanda, I allow toys to be taken from one area to the other and toys get mixed with to go along with their play. Like mickyc tho, the dress up clothes and books have to be put away when not in use. They also are in charge of putting the toys away. Once or twice a week, if I'm bored, I'll sit down and sort them out if they are too mixed up. It's my OCD kicking in lol.

mickyc
10-31-2014, 02:56 PM
Also want to add that even with the huge amount of toys I have they all get put back where they belong. I have a tote for dolls, a tote for food, 2 totes for little people etc. The kids learn very quickly that everything has its place. I am also very particular about that.

As far as cleaning toys - well, I don't (I know that sounds bad). Just spray with Lysol and carry one.