PDA

View Full Version : Child with clothing too small

Busy ECE mommy
11-03-2014, 09:12 AM
Hello all,
I have never had to address this issue with a parent before, but how do you tactfully talk to them about dressing children in clothing that fits appropriately. I have a new family of a 1 yr old who is wearing clothing(especially outdoor wear) that is far too small. The mornings have been cool here lately, requiring hats/mitts/fleece lined fall coat or winter coat. If the fall coat arrives, it is about 2 inches too short in the arms, leaving bare arms outside. Often the pants were about 2 inches too short, leaving bare legs. The snowsuit is also too short in the arms and legs. This family lives in a big house with 2 successful parents working, so I don't think it's a financial issue. We have lots of affordable second hand shops if they didn't want to buy new. How do I address this? Should I speak to them privately, or put in in my monthly newsletter to all parents?

Lou
11-03-2014, 09:22 AM
I would address it first in a newsletter asking all parents to make sure that outdoor wear and clothing be the appropriate size as the weather is now getting cooler. Mention that "when the snow falls we don't want any bare arms being exposed limiting our fun, health and safety. Your child and I thank you for your cooperation and understanding in this matter."

mickyc
11-03-2014, 09:55 AM
When the seasons change I send up a very specific letter to parents outlining EXACTLY what kind of clothing is required. I find too often that there are issues with what the kids are wearing. I still have kids sent in questionable clothing!

I think the problem is parents (especially those with a little one) don't play outside. They don't realize how 30 minutes out in -15 weather can affect their child. If a child is dressed properly it won't be an issue but those that don't come prepared are often cold quickly.

Send out a mass email to parents dictating what you expect. If you don't see any changes in the next week then you will need to address it directly with this parent. Just tell them that their child's arms and legs are getting cold being outside.

Good luck. Sometimes I wonder what parents think when they dress their kids, but remember most are going from house to car to daycare and never actually spend much time outdoors.

Rachael
11-03-2014, 10:21 AM
If you already have a routine newsletter, then that would be the perfect place to issue a general reminder. Then if nothing changes, you can always speak to them personally.

This family lives in a big house with 2 successful parents working, so I don't think it's a financial issue.

You never know - that big house likely has a big mortgage and some people take on more financially then they should. A years mat leave would have reduced a potentially already tight budget and now back at work, although back to two incomes, they now have day care fees. They might well have little disposable income.

monkeys
11-03-2014, 11:12 AM
I have run into the problem of children wear clothes that are too small for them. I do get upset when its their outdoor clothing, especially winter clothes. We all have budgets, but if your child needs a new coat, boots or snow pants than make the appropriate adjustments to the budget. if that means, not eating out on Saturdays for a month, or not going for coffee with the girls, then I will not do them. There are second hand stores, great sales in the off seasons, hand me downs from friends and family. There are always options.

5 Little Monkeys
11-03-2014, 11:22 AM
I have a newsletter and a dc fb page that I put reminders in/on. This was the first year in 4 winters that I got more specific ( toques must cover ears, mitts must cover wrists, neck warmer's instead if scarves etc) because I find it much more enjoyable for both them and I if they are in appropriate clothing. I also stated that it's not necessary but I prefer one piece outfits. In the past I've had parents leave a one piece here and just use a jacket for going between car and homes and it's the best! Makes getting little ones dressed so much quicker! Not all parents can afford to have 2 outfits though and some just used the one piece all the time. It also REALLY helps with the dreaded forgotten ski pants if they take them home!! This year I've bought a one piece as a backup because I got it super cheap, used.

Some parents can't handle getting their child dressed though so those ones tend to use 2 pieces because they only have to put their arms in the jacket and don't bother with the ski pants lol. I had one mom who would use leg warmers because she couldn't get her child to put the ski pants on....however that didn't work with me and the child knew the ski pants had to be worn at dc!

If it's still one or two parents who aren't sending appropriate clothing than I'd talk to them directly and find out the scoop!

Lee-Bee
11-03-2014, 11:25 AM
I'd simply tell them that little johhny is showing signs of being cold and comfortable while playing with his friends outside because his bare arms and legs are exposed.

You're merely stating a fact. They should ideally realize that their child is uncomfortable and respond with bigger outfits. It isn't pointing out their failure to notice or prevent the situation so they shouldn't get upset.

Other Mummy
11-03-2014, 01:21 PM
Lee-Bee got it spot on in my opinion. Be upfront.