PDA

View Full Version : Parents and Bill 10

ttremble88
11-11-2014, 06:28 AM
I am just wondering how many of you have explained Bill 10 to your daycare parents. If it passes, what it will mean in terms of their care. Have you told specific families that they will be terminated? Have you told them of a fee increase? Or are you waiting until it DOES pass to start the panic?

Teagansmom
11-11-2014, 06:31 AM
I have told all my families, I believe that we should educate them....otherwise how can they fight against the bill also.

playfelt
11-11-2014, 05:24 PM
My families have all been told but it won't effect any of them. I have non of my own that will be taking spaces. I will be the one impacted going forward. Only current family that may have issues is one going on mat leave next Spring in terms of what will happen when they need two spaces the following year.

I have made them aware that the government is making changes, outlined what they are, told them but for all but the one above I have either the last child in the family or likely the last child. For that reason they are not too interested in taking up the fight so to speak but have agreed to pass on the info to people they know. Whether they have I don't know. Only one parent asked me for more info to pass to a friend. I am at the 28 year mark and undecided what I want to do to be honest. Any changes are devastating and take time to adjust to. For me it was living through the change from 6 months to 12 months for maternity leave. It was a 2 year struggle for sure and meant the end for many daycare providers unable to adjust to the lack of children to fill spaces. Again we have been going through a similar lack of children due to a glut of providers in many areas. Changes with Bill 10 will be the most dramatic changes for sure and I would like to believe that we don't have the final version of those changes and that the message is getting across. Naïve maybe - probably. But as to the question it is families planning to have more children or those not even in care yet will be impacted. From an interviewing standpoint I have been educating any parents that have come for interviews about what the changes would mean for them.

33 Daiseys
11-11-2014, 09:01 PM
At this point I almost don't care.... parents who watched the news knew this was coming, and they were just as and are needing to stand up and say we won't take this. In my option they haven't.When this goes through, and i believe it will, then my rates will increase 10 dollars a day for under 2 and 5 for 2 and up. My part timers will be given notice that they can go full time, or loose their spot if a full timer comes along.
To often have I taken the pay cut, the extra time ect. now i need to look out for myself and family.
i know a bitc*y attitude, but i am getting sick of parents attitude wanting everything handed to them, not wanting to put the work into it/

cfred
11-11-2014, 09:58 PM
I'm one of the lucky ones. My clients have been fabulous about the whole thing. They've all listened and done the reading, they've been writing letters....one even sent a lightly veiled threat to our MPP. They came to my rally and stayed for the whole thing and have even been bringing little gifts and thank you notes for my work on this cause. I was very concerned that if I told anyone, they'd leave, but it's been just the opposite. They're behind me...us...100%.

Fortunately, if the bill does pass and take effect in Sept, I won't have to terminate anyone or raise my rates immediately. But they certainly didn't know that. So far as they knew, two of them were to be cut by way of a lottery, to keep it fair.

33 Daiseys
11-12-2014, 12:39 PM
I'm sorry I should have clarified that that this doesn't apply to anyone who is currently in care.
When speaking to parents at play group, buses, on the street ect, there is this mass attitude of OH WELL. It seems as if everyone I run into just doesn't give 2 cents about anything anymore.
Case in point on the bus yesterday, a guy with a suit case wouldn't move to let a very elderly couple sit down. No one said a darn thing. Even after the gentleman asked the man to move the case so his wife could sit since her hips were bad after having surgery. I finally had to tell the driver, long story short, dude had a bad attitude and was kicked off the bus.
Does anyone care about anything any more?????????

Teagansmom
11-12-2014, 01:14 PM
Cfred you are lucky all your families are supporting you in this venture. I on the other hand have 1 family that this bill will effect and they don't care. Today I notified my families that I would be taking Monday off to attend the Toronto rally. I explained how the committee woukd be meeting that day Yada Yada Yada. Anyhow the mother of this family is upset saying her husband can't get the day off and she can get fired. I explained that 1 day missed of daycare is better then having no care. They are leaving care on November 21 st so I believe that's why she dosent really care. I don't understand how she expects for me to put her ahead of my future. She actually wanted me to hold her 3 spots for 3 months. Like come on lady..... I let then know about the bill, I've posted groups, articles, videos on my daycare fb page. I given them CICPO flyers and asked them to join in on our local rally. Btw they have 11 month old twins, don't know what they are going to do if 2 under 2 doesn't get amended.