PDA

View Full Version : Question about closing and charging for the day

MonkeyPrincess
11-13-2014, 10:52 AM
I closed one this week because my daughter was sick. Of the 3 kids that would normally come, 2 siblings stayed home and didn't pay for the day, as per my handbook. The other child wasn't going to come anyway because the dad had the day off anyhow.

Question- should that parent still pay for the day? They were going to stay home regardless if i closed or not. What would you do?

mickyc
11-13-2014, 11:19 AM
I would refund the money to all those that paid for the day regardless if they were to attend or not.

superfun
11-13-2014, 12:57 PM
I would do the same as mickyc

Lee-Bee
11-13-2014, 01:25 PM
If your contract states they don't pay on days your close for illness then they shouldn't pay on a day you were closed for illness.

If I were the parent and found out you didn't charge the other families but charged me because I had given notice that I wasn't planning on sending my child that day then my response would be to not tell you ahead of time that I didn't plan to send my child, as I was penalized for being diligent and respectful!

MonkeyPrincess
11-13-2014, 01:43 PM
I hear you. My intention is to subtract the fees on principle. I was curious if anyone would do it differently and to explain why. Thanks for the responses friends :)

Rachael
11-13-2014, 01:48 PM
The other child wasn't going to come anyway because the dad had the day off anyhow.
Question- should that parent still pay for the day? They were going to stay home regardless if i closed or not. What would you do?

No. You were not available. Doesn't matter that they didn't intend coming, if they had a change in plans, you were not available.

It's like being employed, booking a day vacation and being sick - just tough luck.

I would refund all the money to the three children who would normally come.

torontokids
11-13-2014, 01:55 PM
I guess I am the odd one out on this. I had a family go a way one Fri and they still paid me. I ended up closing for some reason (I think I just switched days of my part timer) and I didn't refund them. I wouldn't of closed had they been in town so I saw this as a bonus.

Lee-Bee
11-13-2014, 02:04 PM
I guess I am the odd one out on this. I had a family go a way one Fri and they still paid me. I ended up closing for some reason (I think I just switched days of my part timer) and I didn't refund them. I wouldn't of closed had they been in town so I saw this as a bonus.

But this is different as you would have stayed open had that child been coming The OP would have still closed if that child was supposed to come that day. That's the key difference.

5 Little Monkeys
11-13-2014, 10:10 PM
I agree with the others. I wouldn't charge them. If they had paid and decided they wanted to come for the day they have that right. You weren't open though so that option is no longer an choice for them and it's unfair to make them pay while the others didn't.