PDA

View Full Version : Vacation during holiday season and how to charge

MonkeyPrincess
11-30-2014, 11:38 AM
I took the first week of Christmas Break (week of Dec 22) off as my vacation- I never took that week off before. According to my handbook, i am not paid when closed for vacation or sick, but paid for all statutory holidays. That being said, i am open for the second week (from Dec 29-Jan 2) except New years day, but with my 4/5 DCk's being teacher's children, they will be staying home with their parents, but my policy is that i am paid half my rates when the children take vacation. The fifth child will not attend as that is her "off" week due to an 'one week on, one week off' schedule. I have two questions:

-for the first week, should i be paid for stat holidays when they fall in my vacation week (Ie Christmas day and boxing day)? Or cut my losses and not be paid anything at all that week?

- for the second week, should i be paid for the stat holiday (New Years day) as well half rates, or just half rates for the whole week and cut my losses?

playfelt
11-30-2014, 12:49 PM
I have the stat days as paid days whether child would normally have been in attendance or not. So for me Dec 25, 26 and Jan 1 are paid days. I also give a specified number of days to parents to use at half fees so those days do not count in their days either.

MonkeyPrincess
11-30-2014, 01:29 PM
-So for week 1- should i get paid for the 2 stat's and not for the rest of my week off, or not get paid at all because it's my formal vacation? I have both clauses in my contract but i have never had a stat fall in my vacation.
-so for week 2, do the parents pay me regular rate for the stat and half rate for the rest of the week?

5 Little Monkeys
11-30-2014, 01:52 PM
I've had stats fall on my holidays before and I've charged for them but not the other days.

2nd week, I'd charge the half rate and the stat rate for nye

Lee-Bee
11-30-2014, 02:09 PM
When you booked the time off you should have noted that you were taking days x,y,z as holidays and day A and B as stats. Noting that you were closed for the full week. This would remind the parents that you were paid for the stats, as per your contract. It also means that you only used 3 of your vacation days instead of 5 (or what ever number were stat days versus holiday days). If you sent out a notice saying you were taking the week as holidays then it gets confusing. BUT, your contract hopefully states that the stats are paid so you can refer them back to that when they ask.

It will largely depend on what your contract with the families says. In the future be more specific when booking the time off so it's clear as can be!!

Rachael
11-30-2014, 02:44 PM
I think since you are confused yourself and it's your policy and your contracts, then your clients are going to be just as equally confused. The only thing which is clear, is that your policies aren't. LOL

I would send an e-mail where you clearly state which days you are expecting full pay as a stat day, which days you are considering vacation days and so on. If you aren't sure yourself, then really, you can't expect your clients to be. Spell it out for them.

mickyc
11-30-2014, 07:49 PM
you aren't taking Christmas day, Boxing Day and New Years Day as vacation as they are stat days, end of story. The other days that week are your vacation days so not paid. The week of New Years the days you are open are regular paid by your families unless they are away then they pay half your rate (according to what you have said).

MonkeyPrincess
11-30-2014, 09:39 PM
I've had stats fall on my holidays before and I've charged for them but not the other days.

2nd week, I'd charge the half rate and the stat rate for nye

That's what I was thinking.

MonkeyPrincess
11-30-2014, 10:58 PM
I think since you are confused yourself and it's your policy and your contracts, then your clients are going to be just as equally confused. The only thing which is clear, is that your policies aren't. LOL

I would send an e-mail where you clearly state which days you are expecting full pay as a stat day, which days you are considering vacation days and so on. If you aren't sure yourself, then really, you can't expect your clients to be. Spell it out for them.

I am actually not confused, I asked a question and i had it pretty much sorted out in my mind and was interested to hear what others had to say. Thanks to all who responded.

..BTW, i am not LOL, the way you came across in your post was kind of rude. In my opinion, my 14 page handbook, as well my numerous forms, demonstrate that my policies are well explained. In my case, having a stat fall in my vacation time was something that hasn't happened so far during my time as a DCP, that's why i came here looking for advice. I guarantee every DCP has asked questions and learned tonnes of invaluable info over the years. I am sure everyone has made handbook revisions, corrections, clarifications, etc. No one is perfect.

5 Little Monkeys
12-01-2014, 08:41 AM
That's what I was thinking.

When it first happened to me, I remember wondering what I should do too :)

MonkeyPrincess
12-01-2014, 09:07 AM
When it first happened to me, I remember wondering what I should do too :)

Thanks, i appreciate your input :)