PDA

View Full Version : Just a vent

Gloucestermom
01-08-2015, 01:56 PM
Just a vent!
I gave my number to another caregiver almost a month ago to give to a parent. The mom calls me today and she asked how much I charge. Then she said she can't afford that, and she was paying $3 less/day at the last place. I said Sorry, that's what I charge and I can't change it. She said 'well I can't pay that and I have no other place to go so what do I do?' :blink: umm I don't know, keep looking? Stop testing my boundaries? She had also asked if she could bring her daughter tomorrow, without even meeting me or seeing my space which I'm not comfortable with.
She said she'd talk to her hubby about my rate and call me back tomorrow!

mickyc
01-08-2015, 02:12 PM
Some people try and play the poor me card - they likely could afford it if they made a few changes. Not your problem. Your rate is your rate. I guess you can wait and see if she calls back. My concern though is if she is already telling you she can't afford your rate that she could potentially not have the money at some point down the line. If you do take her on make sure you get your contract signed and money (cash) before you take the child.

Rachael
01-08-2015, 02:35 PM
And get a deposit big enough to cover notice period, which will be applied to fees at the end of the contract, just in case she quits without notice and leaves you stuck. Plus get paid in advance. If she shows up when fees are due without them, turn her away at the door until she has your money in hand.

I can just see that she might "forget her wallet" so you don't want to be paid after providing care and you don't want her dropping off without payment when fees are due.

Gloucestermom
01-08-2015, 06:11 PM
Oh yes. I get paid in advance, it's even in bold letters in my contract :)