PDA

View Full Version : How do you get around?

Emilys4Guppies
02-18-2011, 08:26 PM
Stroller? Wagon? If you take trips away from your dayhome, how do you manage it? Do you like what you've got? What would you upgrade to if you could? What kind of weather do you use your equipment in? Rain? Snow? How do you manage the weather?

giraffe
02-18-2011, 08:38 PM
(4 kids) I have a choo-choo by step 2... ok but heavy doesnt go in the snow or on any rough terrain
(2 kids) double Graco stroller love it but not in snow
(2 kids) double bike trailer stroller great in snow and rain (built in weather sheild) and big tires
(4 kids) Runabout I looooove my runabout drives well in ANYTHING! but I do hate putting the kids in and out when the rain cover is on.
(1-4 kids) high sided Ice Fishing sled - only works in snow

All in all though my best pruchase was my Runabout, my only regret was not getting a quint.

Emilys4Guppies
02-18-2011, 08:56 PM
I have a Graco Double stroller that I've used year round...it does OK in the snow but not great, that's for sure. WOrkable. Great for weather protection though because of the rain cover.

I also have a triple stroller. It's OK in most weather but not in deep snow. I use a single and double rain cover with it to keep kids dry in rain.

I'm getting a RUnabout Quint in March with my hubby's tax refund. WooooohooooooO! How is the quality of the rain cover?

Play and Learn
02-18-2011, 09:30 PM
Currently I have two children (a 1 yr old and a 2 yr old), and will only accept one more child full-time. But I have a great double jogging stroller (older model - so no rain cover - so getting my mom to make me one!). My sisters' neighbour was going to throw it in the garbage, but remembered I have a daycare... In the snow, I use two plastic sleds (also found for free!).

I would love to have a wagon - specifically the choo choo wagon (but not willing to spend money on it). Always looking on usedottawa.com and kijiji.ca!

playfelt
02-18-2011, 10:40 PM
I have a quad stroller I bought from a retiring caregiver and it is great in nice weather. Has sun canopies for all four seats. Don't take them out in the rain anyways. I have a large wagon that can fit all 5 and has bigger wheels than some wagons. I got it when we lived in London from Smitty's Little Haulers but there is another company I have seen people use but forget the name - wagon is in the webname but sorry that isn't very helpful. I use the old fashion walking harnesses with it where I put the harness on the child and then wrap the rein part around the slats till it is tight and then when we go out I just have to place the children and clip them in. This works well with even the little ones because being so tight the harness keeps them in a sitting position.

Our park doesn't really have a lot for the toddlers so we normally spend our outside time in the backyard where we have the sandbox, climber, group swing, playhouse, etc. - they get to run and I get to sit.

Emilys4Guppies
02-19-2011, 06:10 AM
I was looking at the Smittys Lil Haulers Wagon....how many children do you think would comfortably fit? I wish they had pictures on their website of the wagon with something as a reference...with only the wagon sitting in a field it's hard to get a feel for it's size.

Tot-Time
02-19-2011, 11:25 AM
I travel with the kids via 2 ways my quint runabout stroller and my honda odessy (8 seater).

With both I am fully equiped and both handle all weather!

Although both are expensive, I wouldn't upgrade them at all! My runabout has the canopy and weathershield (and yes the kiddies are a booger to get in and out with the weather shield on).

lilac
02-19-2011, 09:58 PM
I have 4-6 year olds so we get around with snow suits and winter boots but I did have a Triple Runabout, LOVED it, MISS it, WISH I still had it!! LOL! I decided I would stick with this age group so I sold the Runabout but it was a great stroller!!!

playfelt
02-20-2011, 06:27 PM
I replied to this yesterday about the wagon but when I posted there was just a bunch of jumping and then it went back to the main page. Looks like it never posted. My wagon is almost 2 feet across by 4 feet long. I cut a piece of 2" foam to fit the bottom of the wagon and wrapped it in vinyl and then cover with a blanket to make it more comfy for sitting. With toddlers I have put 6 in there with three on each side but they have to sit with their legs crossed. When my own got bigger I put her at the end and the others on the sides. I have put an infant sitter right into the wagon so works great for that too. A rubbermaid bin or laundry basket fits across the wagon so this worked well for trips and outings with our family since Brianne rode and are stuff was right there. I have never regretted getting my wagon. I have the canopy for it that makes it look like a covered wagon but one of the originals and pretty sure they have changed the design to something better now. This wagon was bought in 1994 and is still in use. On it's third set of wheels it was used so much I even wore the treads off them,lol. Main advantage is weight of child isn't as much of a concern as for the quad stroller.

Stircrazy
02-20-2011, 09:50 PM
I saw you ladies talking about the Runabouts so I am looking on line at them. I want one! I am now trying to see how much they cost.

amberley7890
03-08-2011, 11:41 AM
This is my first post here and I am just wondering if anyone can give me an approx. price for the 4 or 5 seater runabouts? They look amazing, I am looking to open a daycare soon and would need to walk my own kids to school, it is very close, but I wasn't sure how to get so many kids there, especially if they were under 2. Thanks for any help!

Tot-Time
03-08-2011, 11:50 AM
I have a quint runabout and mine with taxes and shipping cost me $1300 AN AMAZING DEAL, 3 yrs ago. This included the canopy, shield, basket, and tire upgrade.

The runabouts retain their value greatly and I could easily sell mine for $1300 or more now, in fact most used quads sell used for $1000-1300 depending on accessories and condition. I don't know about different areas but I found the cheapest place to buy a brand new runabout was directly from Rog Berg. He is always running deals on his runabouts :) Used runabouts in my area are very difficult to come by you have to be constantly checking the online ads.

Rog's website (http://www.bergdesign.net/runabout.htm)

amberley7890
03-08-2011, 12:10 PM
Thanks so much for the reply, that helps to know!

Emilys4Guppies
03-08-2011, 12:21 PM
Right now Roger is running a spring sale on the runabouts. My quint came to $1555, with the rain cover, basket and snack trays, including shipping. GREAT deal. I saw a lady trying to sell hers on kijiji for $1500. There's NO WAY I would pay that for a used Runabout when I can get a new one for $50 more.

And the service from Roger is AMAZING. My good friend had her wheels break twice and he replaced them free of charge. He also sent the snack tray upgrade for FREE for her. You won't get customer service like that from a resale.

Emilys4Guppies
03-08-2011, 12:23 PM
Also, quads in my area of Ontario seem to resale for $700-800. They are $900 new from Roger with the spring sale right now.

Tot-Time
03-08-2011, 12:39 PM
I agree that the customer service through Rog is great! A friend of mines spokes on her six-seater broke and Rog replaced it free of charge!

I haven't had anything break on mine in the 3 years.

The runabouts are very popular in my little neck of the woods. At the park we hang out at there are some days where there are 4 - 5 runabouts lined up!

Emilys4Guppies
03-08-2011, 01:07 PM
LOL! Here too Tot-Time!! The three providers that I regularly get together with all have a Runabout...two with a quad and one with a quint. We'll be quite the spectacle at the park this spring!

Play and Learn
03-08-2011, 01:27 PM
There's actual licensed daycare centers in Ottawa that use them as well - The Children's Place ~ Kanata, and ELC at Algonquin College.

Emilys4Guppies
03-08-2011, 01:42 PM
The daycares usually order them through daycare catelogues where a quint runabout runs for as much as $2200!! Not including shipping! Crazy...I don't know why everyone doesn't order straight from the source.

sunnydays
03-08-2011, 09:04 PM
I'm just wondering if anyone has used the quad stroller made by Foundations. I can't afford a Runabout, but will need something to get the kids around in year round. I don't know what the best option is as I am new to the game. I can get a quad stroller for $479 plus tax new and then I see people selling them for $400-450 used and I can't figure out why they want so much! I am just wondering though if they are very hard to push?

playfelt
03-09-2011, 11:39 AM
I have a the foundations quad and that is about right for used because of what they cost new. Where are you buying it new at that price? Presumably it includes the canopys, basket, etc for the used one. All about kids have them and they are pretty expensive. It is ok. I wouldn't want to use it with very heavy kids but I am using it with infants and toddlers. Small wheels so not good for loose materials but great for on the sidewalk. Manouvers not bad. Would love to have a runabout too but this was for sale from a fellow provider so settled for it. I paid $300 used but with the accessories. The one thing I don't like is the braking system. It is great if you have others walking and could be distracted because it is a bar along the handle which you hold up as you push and as soon as you let go of the handle of course that means the bar too and it makes the brakes engage. But I find for too far holding the extra bar is a nuisance so I tend to tie it to the handle which means my emergency break is non-existent but my shoulders appreciate it. The nice thing about any vehicle for multiple kids is that there is a resale value so even used you can get your money back.

sunnydays
03-09-2011, 11:59 AM
Thanks Playfelt for the info...I looked at All About Kids and it is $479 plus tax. Do they not come with the canopies and baskets? I never even thought to ask that!

Emilys4Guppies
03-09-2011, 12:46 PM
If you have a friend who lives close to the border you can order the Foundations Quad from Target. It's only available online, so you have to have an address to ship it too (free shipping in the US). But, the price is right at $429. Includes basket and canopy.

http://www.target.com/The-Quad-4-Passenger-Stroller/dp/B0012ZXZAE/ref=sc_qi_detailbutt on

ETA: It's a good deal considering the exchange rate between Can $ and US $.

playfelt
03-09-2011, 02:21 PM
When I was looking online for options it didn't include the canopies. Those were separate. Not sure about now.

giraffe
03-09-2011, 06:06 PM
I had the foundations quad and hated it. It is hard to steer, wont go on grass, the lower suncanopy was to low to go over my toddlers heads, heavy, wont go on anything but cement/ashphalt.... never ever would I recommend it, save your money.

I have a Runabout quad and love it.

busybee
04-04-2011, 05:43 PM
I am looking for a 6 seater stroller.Now the runabouts are they the hard plastic red ones? Has any one used the bye bye brand? I like the fact that the seats can recline but the wheels look rather small for the amount of weight that can possibly be in it.The solid red ones i think they are the runabouts? I love the wheel hate the fact that they don't recline.I have garage attatched to the house so storage is not a issue ( although hubby would beg to differ lol) Right now I have a single and double peg prego and i am thinking why can't my hubby bolt a few peg pregos together lol.
Its frustartaing shopping for the big stroller they are like $700 and something in the states and $999.00 here :cursing: in Canada no luck finding any used yet

playfelt
04-04-2011, 06:32 PM
If you are looking for something that looks intersting but costs a lot this was being advertised locally on kijiji and used ottawa. The person is from Quebec. You can get one that seats up to 8. Not sure I would want to push anything with that many in it but would be nice for crowd control for caregivers with their own kids too. What I need to do is figured a good way to push my daughter's wheelchair while pulling a wagon of kids and a route that doesn't involve any up and down curbs.http://www.mi-ni-wa-gon.com

giraffe
04-05-2011, 12:34 PM
Runabouts are large wheeled stroller www.bergdesign.net . They are not cheap, but if you call Ron directly he will usually give you a deal. Bye bye buggies are the "Red" ones. No rain cover heavy and doesnt "go" in the snow.

busybee
04-05-2011, 06:29 PM
If you are looking for something that looks intersting but costs a lot this was being advertised locally on kijiji and used ottawa. The person is from Quebec. You can get one that seats up to 8. Not sure I would want to push anything with that many in it but would be nice for crowd control for caregivers with their own kids too. What I need to do is figured a good way to push my daughter's wheelchair while pulling a wagon of kids and a route that doesn't involve any up and down curbs.http://www.mi-ni-wa-gon.com

Haha thats neat set my brain going why couldn't hubby build something like that but then he mentioned the weight if he built it.Ya way out of my budget but kinda neat looking lol

busybee
04-05-2011, 06:31 PM
Runabouts are large wheeled stroller www.bergdesign.net . They are not cheap, but if you call Ron directly he will usually give you a deal. Bye bye buggies are the "Red" ones. No rain cover heavy and doesnt "go" in the snow.

I looked at the runabouts and i am undecided what i think of them.I have concern as my guys are mostly 1 and 2 year olds and alot of times fall asleep on walks .I could not find a price on the runabouts do you happen to know an aproximate price? Also do you own one? what ages do you use it for if you do and how do you like it?

busybee
04-05-2011, 06:36 PM
Ok so the ones that recline are angel brand they recline but look like small wheels oyy I need something soon tomorrow we are grounded cause i have 3 1 year olds a 21 month old and a 2 year old and my biggest stroller right now is a double .I have our local baby store dealer looking for 1 ( springys) but this search is frustrating lol i cannot afford $1000 for a stroller thats just plain crazy!

playfelt
04-06-2011, 08:06 AM
Check out your local garden centre, Canadian Tire, farm implement dealer (there is a John Deere version), and for around $200 you can get a garden cart wagon that will be large enough for five. If you don't have the harnesses, you can rig a similar thing using bungee cords. It would getyou through till you get something else. Having that many in the cart will give them something to lean against if they fall asleep. Might also want to consider time of day for the walks and instead give them a nap and then go for a walk if they are falling asleep everyday.

Rhonda
04-06-2011, 09:24 AM
Playfelt, I used the garden wagon for a whole summer and it worked well with my little ones. I suped it up with bumper pads, 5 point harnesses, etc and a weatherproof shield too. It was heavy with the 5 children but it worked until I could afford a quint stroller. I did find though that once the children were about 2 they were starting to get too big for the stroller and I started to teach them how to walk.

Mrs. Laurie
04-06-2011, 10:34 AM
I personally LOVE my Choo Choo wagon!!! Now of course it is not a stroller so they cannot recline but it sure helps me get out and about!!!
Good luck with your search.

giraffe
04-06-2011, 01:21 PM
I looked at the runabouts and i am undecided what i think of them.I have concern as my guys are mostly 1 and 2 year olds and alot of times fall asleep on walks .I could not find a price on the runabouts do you happen to know an aproximate price? Also do you own one? what ages do you use it for if you do and how do you like it?

They do recline and yes you are looking at about $1000. But they do hold their value and can usually be sold for close to what was paid for it. All of my kids are 1 and 2 and I have no probelm reclining the seats when they fall asleep.

YES I do own one and I love it! in the past I have had the Foundations Quad (this may be a cheaper option for you, but it does not go in the snow and is hard to steer), a triple peg (large wheeled... loved it but needed a quad), Choo Choo wagon by Step 2 (heavy to pull and doesnt go in the snow). I love my Runabout and it has been worth the $ it cost (so that I can get out and about). i also like that it has a great rain cover and that the wheels are very big so that yes you can travel in the snow.

sunnydays
04-06-2011, 08:59 PM
Does anyone know where I can find a triple stroller (not the Foundations one); I am hoping to get one of those where two kids sit and then one can stand or sit backwards at the rear. Basically, I want something that can hold three kids but can also fold fairly small and fit in the back of my van. I have been looking on Kijiji and Used Ottawa and haven't had any luck yet, but I can't seem to find where to buy one new. Any thoughts anyone?

playfelt
04-06-2011, 10:14 PM
There are sales at least once a year sponsored by the moms of multiples group here in the city and you might have some luck working through them. Also if you pay the money to buy a new stroller you can likely get a good resale value for it selling it either through the group or through the CCPRN classifieds. Have you tried posting a wanted ad on the CCPRN website. If you aren't a member of that group it is worth joining for $25 a year - anyone in Ottawa coming out on Sunday for diecutting and resource library say you belong to this group. I will be there with my felt to show and there will be other office supplies out too.

sunnydays
04-07-2011, 12:23 PM
Thanks Playfelt...I will try posting through CCPRN (I am a member). I would possibly buy one new, but the only ones I have seen are the Foundations ones. I don't know where to buy one new. Does anyone know?

playfelt
04-07-2011, 01:06 PM
Just did a google search for triple strollers for sale in Canada and this is the first thing that came up. I thought someone was looking for one where two kids sit and one stands and there is one of those about third row down.http://shop.ebay.ca/i.html?_nkw=triple+s trollers&_armrs=1&_dmd=2&_from=&_ipg=

sunnydays
04-07-2011, 01:38 PM
Thanks again Playfelt; that is exactly what I am looking for, but I don't want to buy it online. I want to be able to see it and try it out in person before buying!

agesandstagesdaycare
04-08-2011, 01:22 PM
There's a well-used quad runabout for sale in Ottawa right now for $400. http://www.usedottawa.com/classified-ad/Quad-Daycare-stroller-Runabout_14545962

It looks like it's in rough shape but I bet it still has a lot of life left in it. :)

playfelt
04-08-2011, 03:40 PM
But it might be a lot cheaper to buy it and then get new wheels or seatbelts or whatever part is in bad shape replaced than buying new. Although you do run the risk of the repairs starting to add up to the point where buying new and selling used would be better. Besides the tax writeoff is more if you buy new.

Spixie33
04-19-2011, 01:15 PM
I use a Choo Choo Wagon. It can go up to 6 'cabooses' I think. Fantastic.

It goes smoothly and went somehwat okay in the snow this winter although I made the older ones walk. The kid snever complain about going in it and there is no fighting or kicking each other because each child is separate.

http://www.sears.ca/product/step-2-choo-choo-wagon/606-000704361-701700

busybee
04-25-2011, 06:27 PM
I ordered my runabout !! Althogether it cost me about $2120.00 with shipping and taxes for a 6 seater but it is going to make my life so much easier i should be getting this by the end of the week very excited!!

busybee
04-25-2011, 06:30 PM

Giraffe ty so much I ended up ordering it! You should call Ron and tell him you refered me and get your $20 lol I'll let you know how it goes but i think its going to be great ty tax man for paying for half lol

Charming
04-27-2011, 09:04 PM
I have a foundations Quad which I bought second hand last year for $375 only used just a few times but liked it although its super heavy. I have 2 18 months a 2 and 3 year old, I think when they get bigger I will have to think about getting something else.

agesandstagesdaycare
05-02-2011, 12:11 PM
I ordered the Peg Perego Triple stroller. The chassis arrived today and seats will be here in a couple of day. I've had their single and double for my kids and I LOVE Peg Perego! Worth every cent!! :)

waterloo day mom
06-20-2011, 08:01 AM
I have a foundations quad and love it. It was much less expensive but holds just as many children and more stuff. The only problem is people selling them used do charge you almost as much as new. I found that I had to order from the states, which wasn't too bad and came in just over a week. They're not too hard to push, but I wouldn't suggest putting 3 and 4 yr olds in it (or at least not more than one).

Sandbox Sally
06-21-2011, 04:31 PM
I just bought a Joovy Big Caboose Sit and Stand from Kijiji for $150 bucks. They look pretty small and lightweight to fit three kids, which is why I like the idea. I haven't tried it out yet, as I am a new provider, and my other two dck's aren't starting until August.

Anyone use one before? What did you think?

Emilys4Guppies
06-25-2011, 10:52 AM
I ordered the Peg Perego Triple stroller. The chassis arrived today and seats will be here in a couple of day. I've had their single and double for my kids and I LOVE Peg Perego! Worth every cent!! :)

I have an ancient Peg Triplette that I love!! It's gone through two other providers before me but is still my fav triple stroller. The shocks are awesome. I've made new seat covers but otherwise, I wouldn't change it! I've had newer triples come through my door but always am quick to sell because they don't hold up like the Peg.

And it's AWESOME in the winter snow. I have to walk to the school even in the winter and it does great.

yojbongo
07-28-2014, 06:29 AM
@tot-time: hi! I went to the website you suggested but how do you order it? Did I miss something? Lol. I am planning to buy the 6 seater runabout. Thank you in advance.

I have a quint runabout and mine with taxes and shipping cost me $1300 AN AMAZING DEAL, 3 yrs ago. This included the canopy, shield, basket, and tire upgrade.

The runabouts retain their value greatly and I could easily sell mine for $1300 or more now, in fact most used quads sell used for $1000-1300 depending on accessories and condition. I don't know about different areas but I found the cheapest place to buy a brand new runabout was directly from Rog Berg. He is always running deals on his runabouts :) Used runabouts in my area are very difficult to come by you have to be constantly checking the online ads.

Rog's website (http://www.bergdesign.net/runabout.htm)

yojbongo
07-28-2014, 06:35 AM
I am planning to buy soon. Can u tell me the website you bought it from? Thank you.

I ordered my runabout !! Althogether it cost me about $2120.00 with shipping and taxes for a 6 seater but it is going to make my life so much easier i should be getting this by the end of the week very excited!!

Busy ECE mommy
07-28-2014, 12:22 PM
I have a quad Runabout, which I bought second hand on kijij, and use it in all seasons, including winter(I have the sun shade and weathershield and basket for the back to carry our gear) It's easy to push, except for turning,which takes a bit of effort with a fixed wheel. I gave up my Foundations stroller years ago as it was heavy, and the wheels didn't turn well in the snow. I have also ordered replacement parts from Roger Berg, and had them in about 2 weeks(I'm in the GTA)
My vote is for the runabout-hands down!

5 Little Monkeys
07-28-2014, 01:34 PM
I had experience with the foundations at a centre I worked in....hated it! Hard to push and turn BUT I did like the side by side for the kids to interact with each other.

I have a runabout and LOVE it!! Super simple to push (even with one hand), fits everywhere and has the sun shade and basket. Turning is also very simple even with all 4 kids in it but the wheel is a fixed one. Just be careful loading and unloading as I found out the first time I used it!! haha....luckily no injuries!

Busy ECE mommy
07-28-2014, 06:45 PM
@Yojbongo- I sent an email for parts to runabout@teleport.co m and then he emailed me a price list. I phoned in the final order to Roger Berg at 503 649-7922.
5 little monkeys was right, the loading can be tricky until you get used to it. I load the heaviest first in the front seat and then medium sized kids, and the babies in the back seat. When you unload, do it in reverse order so you unload from the back seat and move towards the front.

5 Little Monkeys
07-28-2014, 07:33 PM
The first time I unloaded, I was taking out the first kid and my fiance was taking out the third...and the stroller tipped backwards....luckily he had quick reflexes!

My kids are all pretty similar in weight (the little ones are probably heavier than the older kids lol) and I have two little ones that don't always stay where I need them. So I put them in first and than out last....helps with the supervision of them!

chenderson
07-30-2014, 04:04 PM
I'm curious where anyone from the West Coast orders these runabouts? I get the feeling most of the responses are from people back East...
I have an older triple peg that I got for basically nothing from a daycare provider who was closing. It is way more difficult to push compared to my double BOB amd challenging to steer, but I'll make do for now. Looking for something better eventaually.

5 Little Monkeys
07-30-2014, 04:15 PM
I'm in MB and got mine from kijjiji from a daycare centre. I think you can order directly on their website though