PDA

View Full Version : Snow days

Busy ECE mommy
02-02-2015, 07:20 AM
Live in the GTA and all the schools/universities/colleges are closed due to extreme snow. We've got 18-20" of snow on the street and won't be plowed for at least 36 hours. Of course all of my parents called to say they were taking a sick day from work and their kids would be in this morning. It figures....
I'm thinking I might add a snow closure policy to the contract, especially if parents end up picking up late today. Does anyone else have this in the contract?

AmandaKDT
02-02-2015, 08:01 AM
Not sure how you would word that. But whenever I know that a parent isn't working and still sending their child I always ask if it will be the usual pick up time. Then I know what to expect and they are held to a particular time.

We have lots of extreme weather here in Manitoba and unless I have no power or something my daycare is open and the parents can send their kids as they are paying for the spot. Though it takes alot for anyone here to not go to work because of the weather.

5 Little Monkeys
02-02-2015, 09:19 AM
In mb as well....very rarely are there snow days where places actually shut down. The usual is just that rural buses don't run for schools. That's strange to me that they can't make it into work but would risk an accident to bring children to daycare.

My parents pay for a spot so I don't really limit their hours here except that I ask they don't wait until closing time if not needed (2-3 of mine need closing time anyways but I used to have parents who were done an hour or more before I was and they knew it was expected of them to pick up then unless prearranged)

LizzyGrant
02-02-2015, 09:35 AM
I'm in the GTA also and I don't have snowdays in my contract, only because I feel unaffected by them. I don't have to go out in the snow, so if the parents are choosing to go out in it, I feel like it's their choice since they are paying for the day. But that being said, I would be annoyed if there were late pick ups from a parent who is at home all day. I have a late fee in my contract that I honestly don't use often, because I know things come up and sometimes it is out of their control. But if I am not communicated with, or it's consistent lateness, or if it affects an appointment or plan of mine for that evening, that late policy is there and it isn't a fun one to pay. Once they pay it once, magically they're rarely late again! ;)

bright sparks
02-02-2015, 11:13 AM
Live in the GTA and all the schools/universities/colleges are closed due to extreme snow. We've got 18-20" of snow on the street and won't be plowed for at least 36 hours. Of course all of my parents called to say they were taking a sick day from work and their kids would be in this morning. It figures....
I'm thinking I might add a snow closure policy to the contract, especially if parents end up picking up late today. Does anyone else have this in the contract?

Where abouts are you because Toronto schools and Universities are not closed??? Peel, Halton, Hamilton and Niagara School boards are but those areas got hit really hard. Find it rather alarming that in the provinces capital and a major hub like Toronto that they would take 36 hours to clear the roads. I know rural locations with minimal resources that clear roads faster than that. That is awful!!

I have 4 foot snow drifts and it looks like the snow has just stopped so now I get to dig my way out. I literally have to dig my way out due to the drifts being over half way up my front and back doors lol So much for a day of rest :)

torontokids
02-02-2015, 11:26 AM
Toronto isn't closed. Everything is open today. She said GTA so that could mean Mississauga or even Pickering, Ajax etc

Busy ECE mommy
02-02-2015, 11:32 AM
We're in Burlington-Mac is closed/U of T closed/Sheridan /Mohawk and Humber closed too.
We are on a side street, and 36 hours is the standard here. My guess is that is will be closer to 48 hrs after this one. All kinds of cars are permanently stuck on our street/surrounding streets today.

bright sparks
02-02-2015, 11:35 AM
Toronto isn't closed. Everything is open today. She said GTA so that could mean Mississauga or even Pickering, Ajax etc

I was under the assumption that the GTA covered Etobicoke to Scarborough and up to North York. Ajax and Pickering are Durham and Mississauga is Peel. As I have no kids and a little time on my hands I did a little research and was surprised to discover that the GTA includes Halton, Peel, TO, York and Durham. Talk about learning something new everyday. Such a large area I suppose I shouldn't have assumed it was one location especially given the weather experienced from one end of the GTA to the other was significantly different. Funny how one can just assume for the longest time and be very wrong. Thanks for enlightening me!

bright sparks
02-02-2015, 11:38 AM
We're in Burlington-Mac is closed/U of T closed/Sheridan /Mohawk and Humber closed too.
We are on a side street, and 36 hours is the standard here. My guess is that is will be closer to 48 hrs after this one. All kinds of cars are permanently stuck on our street/surrounding streets today.

I never thought that Burlington was in the GTA. I lived there for 4 years and never referred to it as GTA or heard anyone call it anything other than Halton region, my bad :) Hamilton got hit really bad too and TWN covered spencer smith last night on tv and it looked brutal. I was fortunate enough to live on a B road when I lived in Burlington and right next to Nelson High School so we were always cleared by 7am without fail. Hopefully you can get out sooner rather than later

torontokids
02-02-2015, 11:59 AM
I never knew the specifics either but the term GTA just gets thrown around a lot. It is probably a real estate thing because calling all these places GTA suggests that they are close to Toronto and therefore they can sell properties for just that little bit more money!

mickyc
02-02-2015, 03:01 PM
If they are not working then there is no reason for them to pick up late. If any do then make sure and charge them your late fee!