PDA

View Full Version : Adjustment Periods in contract?

Tinyones1981
02-05-2015, 11:59 AM
Hey everyone, I am just wondering if you all have it in your contracts, a given timeline for an adjustment period. I am looking at putting one in but an unsure if its really necessary. If you do have one would you be willing to share ideas with me, any advice would be fantastic!! Thanks in advance.

mickyc
02-05-2015, 12:01 PM
My contract lists a few reasons why I would terminate care and one of them is failure of the child to transition within a reasonable time. It leaves it open for me to use my discretion on each child. I have only terminated one child before and it was after 3 half days of him screaming bloody murder.

playfelt
02-05-2015, 01:15 PM
I don't have a trial period in my contract because it gives the family an out with no notice too. Many are on wait lists for a centre or subsidy but settle for home care only to have a space open in their desired spot after just starting care. I need to know once a family starts in my care that I am protected by contract to get my 3 weeks paid notice.

bright sparks
02-05-2015, 02:00 PM
I don't like to place standardized time restrictions on a child's transition. Every child is different so every child will act differently and has different needs. Transition times can vary widely for many reasons. I personally don't think it is necessary.

5 Little Monkeys
02-05-2015, 07:11 PM
I have the same as mickyc.I also let parents know during the interview that I expect transition to be 2-4 weeks. Some are quicker, some are longer but the majority are in that range.

I've had kids who have had 0 transition time and others who cried 24/7 for 2 weeks and than were fine. It really does depend on the child and the chemistry between child and provider I find.

adorable ages
02-05-2015, 09:59 PM
Just curious, what age do u guys find have the hardest transition.?

5 Little Monkeys
02-05-2015, 10:11 PM
Just curious, what age do u guys find have the hardest transition.?

I find situations tend to dictate transitions more than age.

For example a one year who has had little exposure away from mom or play dates with other kids is going to be harder than the one year old who has 2 older sisters and is used to babysitters already.

A 3 yo who has had 1-2 previous providers may be easier than the 3 yo whose been home with mom for 3 years and isn't used to other adults and rules and group care.

It really all depends! I've found the little ones sometimes transition really well and than a couple months later sometimes go through it. It's like they started so young, before they started playing shy with people and than as they age and learn that behaviour they realize "whoa, mom leaves me here all day and I don't see her for a long time" lol