PDA

View Full Version : How to word termination letter due to my own health

AmandaKDT
02-10-2015, 12:35 PM
I have gotten to the point that I need to give in and admit defeat. My chronic pain hands are so bad that I need to wear braces on both hands. The reoccurance of this problem totally coincides with the start of my latest 1 year old dcb as I haven't had this problem flare up for years. My body just can't handle the physical work it takes to care for 1 one year old, 3 two year olds and 2 five year olds everyday. My foot pain is also no better despite going for physio for several weeks now. Sigh, I am such a mess!

So even though I feel really bad, I think I am going to have to give a termination notice to the 1 year old's family. It is really difficult to find daycare spaces for infants in Winnipeg.

I went for an interview last night for a job teaching recreational Lego building classes to kids in the evenings and/or weekends. If I get the job I would be able to afford to have less daycare kids (1 for sure, possibly 2 less). It pays really well, 1 hour of teaching is equivalent to caring for 2 daycare kids for a full day.

For the letter should I just say that due to chronic health problems I am no longer able to provide care as of so and so date? What else should I include?

superfun
02-10-2015, 01:14 PM
Do you know anyone else in the area that might have space for the 1 year old? If so, I would probably pass along their info.

That sounds like a fun job! I'm excited for you. :)

torontokids
02-10-2015, 02:02 PM
What about something along the lines of "due to some health issues, I will be focusing on caring for children 2 yrs and older. I have really enjoyed having Bobby in my care but unfortunately I will be unable to care for him as of XXX." Obviously you need to add some meat to it but you get what I'm saying.

AmandaKDT
02-10-2015, 02:25 PM
Do you know anyone else in the area that might have space for the 1 year old? If so, I would probably pass along their info.

That sounds like a fun job! I'm excited for you. :)

Problem is I don't know of anyone, though I could give a couple names of people NOT to contact. Lol

The job does sound fun, the class would only be 1 hour at a time and it is just the fun parts of teaching without having to mark assignments and give grades. Guess we will see what happens.

5 Little Monkeys
02-11-2015, 08:09 AM
Sorry to hear you're in so much pain!!! :(

I'd leave the letter short, sweet and to the point. No longer able to take care of a large group due to health reasons, last day will be xxx etc. If they ask or if you want to tell, I'd do that face to face.

As for passing on names of people NOT to contact....I have done that with one provider. The stories parents told me about her were enough for me to do that as I normally mind my own business and don't care how others run their business. She is now shut down due to a pretty serious allegation. I would feel terrible if someone I knew/interviewed had gone to her knowing what I knew.

bright sparks
02-11-2015, 09:14 AM
I am so sorry to hear of your ongoing pain AmandaKDT :thumbdown:

I think it's simply a short and to the point letter that should be given. That due to health reasons you are reducing the number of children in your care at any given time. I wouldn't hold yourself to restricting ages for the future by adding that. I think that your reasons are totally justifiable and I can't imagine this family not understanding. I wouldn't worry about recommending someone, although nice, it's really down to them to find someone and you don't need to burden yourself with that task when it isn't your responsibility. If you already had a provider you were friends with and who provided back up care then that would be different, but I'm always a little wary of recommending a provider I have heard of but don't know personally.

Good Luck with the lego job, sounds awesome!!

AmandaKDT
02-11-2015, 12:06 PM
Thanks you guys, this is a really hard time for me right now and I appreciate your support.

I was definitely planning to keep it short and sweet, not worried about telling them because I am in pain but abit anxious since I really don't like giving up on something I have committed to. But it is what it is.

torontokids
02-11-2015, 12:12 PM
Since you are in so much pain I would offer that if they find something sooner that you would let them go early without penalty. Might help.

kindertime
02-11-2015, 12:38 PM
Hi there,

I'm new to the forum so, hoping I'm doing this right.

This is the letter I would write.

Dear Parents,

It is with great regret that I must inform you that as of (date), I will no longer be able to care for your child. I am currently experiencing personal health issues that leave me struggling to look after your child the way I feel s/he deserves.

I would like you to know that I have really enjoyed my time with your child, s/he has been a wonderful addition to our group. Please be assured that this decision is not personal, but rather, I feel it is necessary given my own situation.

I recognize that this is putting you in a difficult position, having to find new care on short notice. If there is anything I can do to help with this process, please feel free to talk to me about it.

Thank you so much for your understanding. I wish you and your child the best of luck. You will be missed!

Sincerely,
Me

Hope it helps.

AmandaKDT
02-11-2015, 04:22 PM
Hi there,

Dear Parents,

It is with great regret that I must inform you that as of (date), I will no longer be able to care for your child. I am currently experiencing personal health issues that leave me struggling to look after your child the way I feel s/he deserves.

I would like you to know that I have really enjoyed my time with your child, s/he has been a wonderful addition to our group. Please be assured that this decision is not personal, but rather, I feel it is necessary given my own situation.

I recognize that this is putting you in a difficult position, having to find new care on short notice. If there is anything I can do to help with this process, please feel free to talk to me about it.

Thank you so much for your understanding. I wish you and your child the best of luck. You will be missed!

Sincerely,
Me

Hope it helps.

You are amazing, thanks so much for taking the time to write that. I am usually pretty articulate, but was just going blank on what to write.

I used your letter and just gave it at pick up time today. The dad didn't seem too stressed about it, but definitely wasn't expected it. I gave them 2 weeks notice, with the option to leave early without penalty. So glad this is done, I was nervous.

AmandaKDT
02-11-2015, 04:23 PM
Since you are in so much pain I would offer that if they find something sooner that you would let them go early without penalty. Might help.

I included this in my letter, thanks for the idea.

5 Little Monkeys
02-11-2015, 05:15 PM
Hi there,

Dear Parents,

Sincerely,
Me

Hope it helps.

Excellent letter!! I look forward to more of your advice!! Welcome :)

AmandaKDT
02-16-2015, 08:42 AM
Well I got that Lego teaching job, I am going to observe a class this evening to see what it is like. Hopefully I won't be disappointed!

If this works out I can have less daycare kids. So fingers crossed. Countdown to the end of taking care of the daycare baby has begun, I just have to make it to the end of the month!

My husband is also looking into us taking in a university foreign exchange student, we live very close to a university, so that we could make income from that as well as opposed to having a full daycare.

My ideal situation would be to have 1 or 2 full day daycare kids and a couple before and after school (as opposed to 4 full day daycare kids, plus my own 2 daughters - which is what it is right now). So we are trying to see if we can make that happen.

mamaof4
02-16-2015, 10:01 AM
I am sorry you are in such pain, I hope that it improves, but you got some great help!