PDA

View Full Version : English Quebec, not an oximoron

kindertime
02-12-2015, 01:45 PM
Hi there,

I'm a home daycare provider in Quebec. I am English, my daycare is English, my daycare famillies are English and future famillies will be English too.

Why can't I put my listing on the English Daycare Bear site? I don't want to advertise in French.

I know it may come as quite a shock to many, but there are a lot of Anglophones in Quebec. We need services too.

Thanks in advance.

mamaof4
02-12-2015, 04:00 PM
this is something you can send a message to the admin about-- it is out of my scope as forum mod

kindertime
02-12-2015, 05:39 PM
Okay, thanks. Still new to this site. Finding it a little confusing the separation between the forum and member part.

kindertime
03-15-2015, 06:01 AM
Well, it's been a month, and I guess I'm still confused.

I sent that message, like I said I would;

Feb. 12, 2015
Hi,
I have a home daycare in Quebec. I am English and all of my daycare families are English. If I want to post openings for parents, why can I not use Daycare Bear? Why is the French site the only one available to me?

Please make this service available to everyone.

Thank you,
sig.

The response Feb. 15, 2015;

Hi,

Unfortunately, for the time being, MaGarderie is only offering a french version of the site for Quebec. However, once registered on MaGarderie, you can enter an english description on your listing along with a french one if you like.
Parents can also access an English translation of the site through
Google translate:
https://translate.google.ca/translate?sl=fr&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=www.magarderie.com&edit-text=&act=url

I will also pass along your comments to our development team.

Regards,

L'Équipe de MaGarderie
www.magarderie.com
Le réseau d'information sur les services de garde du Québec.

So I was quite a bit annoyed. To say the least. All I wanted was for my province to be included in the list with all the others. I sent my original email to the admins of the English site but it was the French site that responded. So I will admit that my frustration comes through in my response back to both the Eng. and the Fr. admins on Feb. 16th, 2015;

Hi there,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I am afraid you have misunderstood my request. I don't want MaGarderie.com translated. IT IS translated! It's called DaycareBear.ca.

When I go to DaycareBear.ca and sign in, I try to post my openings but the drop down menu includes all the Provinces except Quebec. That is ridiculous!

The parents that will use my daycare, who will look me up on DaycareBear are not French. They don't speak, read or understand French. They will not go to a French website. Not under any circumstances. Never. I can't stress that enough.

All I want is for the Already Existing site, DaycareBear.ca to include Quebec for English users. Simply add Quebec to the list of Provinces.

Just because you think everyone in Quebec should be French, doesn't mean we are.
sig.

And I waited 3 weeks, no response so I resent the email and this was what came back on Mar. 8, 2015;

Hi,

MaGarderie.com was specifically designed for Quebec. All other provinces can use DaycareBear.ca. There is no way around this for the time being.

Best regards,

The DaycareBear Support Team

What? What?? I am so, so sick of this!! We can't get anything from the gov't in English. We are all unionized, and we can't even get anything from the union in English! (And in my area that has lots of Eng., we pay more dues for the Eng. service that we don't get. They even have a daycare listing site for us. Yup, only French.)

I can't be the only one. I am sure that I am not. And I will point out that if I was a Francophone in, say Calgary, I would have to fight for services there too. But I wouldn't be able to access MaGarderie because there is no other province but Quebec in their drop-down menu. Not even New Brunswick, which is officially bilingual. How does any of this make sense???

And...because I'm not quite done my rant, even if I wanted to use MaGarderie, I can't because my town isn't even listed. So... wth???

BlueRose
03-15-2015, 07:04 AM
Its not the creators of these websites that you should be getting mad at. Its you government. By law in Quebec all business MUST advertise in french. You can also post in English but it most also be displayed in french. The french ad must be displayed first. I don't live in Quebec, but not a year goes by that I don't here about a English business in quebec getting into trouble because they have an English facebook page or signs only in English. As a business owner it is your responsibility to know the laws in the area you plan on opening your business.
The creators of these sites are not to blame for not allowing you to past in English on there quebec site. They are just following the law.
As for your city not being on there list. A email to them stating your town is missing might just fix that problem.