PDA

View Full Version : Stat/Vacation Holiday!!

Emma H
02-14-2015, 09:15 PM
Hi everyone :)

I was just wondering to see what other daycare providers are doing for vacation days in the Kitchener area. I currently give all my families 2 weeks free vacation, I stay opened for minor stat holidays and give the parents the option of coming but they still have to pay if they don't come, lastly they don't have to pay for my vacation time when I am gone. I want to change everything about this lol I think 2 weeks is too long and to be truthful I don't want to give any free days, I want to be closed for all stat holidays as well......I am already open for 12 hours a day (6 am-6 pm) and feel I am really close to burning out.....not from the kids mainly from the parents.....The only reason I stayed open for stat holidays is because I don't want to loose even more money as people will expect not to pay me....I have been asked this before "why would I pay you if your not opened" or "why should I pay if my child isn't coming".....ummm lol any advice will be greatly appreciated!!
:)

Busy ECE mommy
02-15-2015, 07:41 AM
I don't give away any free days as far as the child's vacation goes or stat holidays. They pay to hold their spot open, regardless of attendance. I was burning out working 10 hr days, and not giving myself enough personal vacation time. I shortened to 9.5 hrs, gave myself 4 weeks vacation(2 of which are fully paid) I have always charged for stat/civic holidays, and I am closed on those days. I would say with any new clients, that you reduce the free days or eliminate them completely. Perhaps you could reduce the free days with existing clients if your contract allows you to make changes whenever, or on a specific date. My clients can only attend a maximum of 9 hrs a day, so I would start putting a max. on the hours that they attend, and cut back your operating hours. I could never do a 12 hr day, and then an extra 1-1.5 hrs afterwards to cook/clean/prep art/program/admin duties/errands etc. The extra time you put in after you close really adds up. You will burn out very quickly with the policies as they are now. Put some value on your service, and cut back. You may lose clients, but those who see value in your service will treat you accordingly. Ultimately, your mental/physical health is the priority.