PDA

View Full Version : What is your worst activity ever?

mamaof4
10-24-2011, 07:54 PM
I made salt dough with the kids today. I will be picking bits of it up for years... what activity or craft have you done that you now will never ever do again? I can't be the only one who has had to learn the hard way!

playfelt
10-24-2011, 11:55 PM
I hate glitter with a passion. No matter how careful you are it ends up everywhere including a trail out the door as the crafts leave.

zen39
10-25-2011, 10:57 AM
I have to agree with playfelt, I really hate glitter too. I don't even like buying anything (i.e. ornaments) with glitter. It's pretty to look at but gets everywhere. So I don't do glitter, especially not with my little ones.

sunnydays
10-25-2011, 12:01 PM
I made playdough with my little group the other day and I was so distracted by the kids that i messed it up and it turned out like a sticky gloopy mess! I let them play with it anyone as they did enjoy the sensory experience, but boy, what a mess! In hindsight, they are too young to help in the making...I will make it on my own adn they can play with it :)

Errbear
10-25-2011, 01:05 PM
Finger painting with 4 kids under 2. One of the boys decided that he wanted to try every color. Blue paint went EVERYWHERE, including in between his teeth

playfelt
10-25-2011, 01:20 PM
So next question: Why do we do this to ourselves,lol? Does the child actually reap so much benefit from doing these things when they are toddlers compared to older preschoolers that the mess warrants it or could our time be better spent doing a different activity?

Errbear
10-25-2011, 07:07 PM
I do it because it's something new. Whenever I bust out the art supplies it's usually because I've exhausted all other options. Having 6 kids between 1 and 3 years old is daunting when the weather is poor or they don't want to do anything "constructive", other than wreck my house or fight with each other. They get really excited and I love watching their little faces light up. I'm also a glutton for punishment ;)

sunnydays
10-26-2011, 01:00 PM
It does entertain them, but I have to admit that partly it is parental expectations that we do art time etc. It is a challenge, but I do it mainly for the 2+ kids and have to involve the younger ones so they are not left unsupervised.

robertmartin
11-04-2011, 04:21 AM
Haven't had a lousey work and activity (yet) - I'm just one of thsoe lucky ones.

mlc1982
11-04-2011, 07:48 PM
I agree with kangaroomama - I do a lot of things for parental expectations. I love doing it with the 2+ group but feel bad if I leave out the younger ones. I try to get them involved in everything, even though I know most things end up on the floor or in the mouth.

Momof4
12-02-2011, 10:48 PM
Haha, good question! One Halowe'en I cooked fettucine noodles in green coloured water then cooled and oiled the noodles and put them in a big bin with witches fingers. eyeballs, etc. what a mess! Then when we did the letter M and I made Monster slime with cornstarch and water it was a big mistake because everything they touched after playing in the slime had a cornstarch residue.

Daymama
12-02-2011, 11:50 PM
Oh - no one's ever asked that question of me before - good one!

Two words come immediately to mind: Moon Sand. Never again. :no: Such a huge mess everywhere and I paid good money for that stuff, too. I ended up donating it to my kid's preschool. I also remember the bingo dabbers that seemed like such a good idea untill I realized too late that they were indelible.:ohmy:

I also am done with glitter - I think it is even potentially dangerous if children have glitter on their hands and get it in their eyes and mouths.

I usually do enjoy doing art with even very young children, though.

momof2cuties
08-16-2012, 07:45 PM
We did homemade moon dough once..It calls for baby oil in the recipe. I thought I would be smart and let them play with it on the deck. Didn't matter. The floor was a oil slick anytime they walked across it LOL!! I was forever getting that residue off my floors! On the plus side, the kids went home smelling new baby fresh with soft skin ha ha!

michellesmunchkins
08-16-2012, 07:52 PM
Glitter!!!! Can't stand it and refuse to use it lol

kidlove
08-17-2012, 06:19 AM
I do admit, I dont like playdough. i take it out about twice ayear. the kids really enjoy it and when it comes out they jump up and down for joy. (probly bcause they NEVER get it at my house:)) there is just something about trying to separate all the colors back to the containers and getting on my hands and knees under the table to pick up all the random tiny color speck of dough off the floor before it gets tracked to the living room carpet. Not to mention then having to check their clothes because you know at least 3 out of the six sat on a wadd and have it stuck to the a$% of their pants, which will be on my couch next. and also cleaning under their fingernails for the many colors. oooh dont forget watching for them to take a taste!!! you always seem to have at least one in the crowd who wants to see what it tastes like! "it's smells so good, must taste good too!" yah, my nemesis is definately PLAYDOUGH!!!!