PDA

View Full Version : Who signs contract?

ebhappydc
02-25-2015, 09:28 PM
Can you please tell me who needs to sign the contract? Is it one or both parents and do I have to sign it too as way of showing I'm holding up my end of it too? Thanks bunches. Sorry about typo in title. I don't now how to edit title...

5 Little Monkeys
02-25-2015, 09:31 PM
I print off 2 contracts. We each sign both. One copy for them and one copy for me that goes in their folder.

When they leave my care, the only paperwork I keep is the contract, permission forms and any incidental reports I made. I give them their child info sheet back and photocopies of the incidentals if they want

Suzie_Homemaker
02-25-2015, 09:46 PM
Both provider and parent must sign or it not legal agreement. Both sides bound by rules - them to pay, sick rules, hours etc, you to provide care for certain fee. Both sides must sign.

I get both parents to sign. I think if one loses job and quits with no notice, it better if other parent also signed and liable for fees. I'm not sure if that is right or not but I get both to sign just in case.

cfred
02-26-2015, 05:38 AM
I have the parents print and bring a copy of my Policies and Procedures and Information Package. We all initial each page (both parents if they wish) and sign and date the last page. Then I take a photo copy of the whole shebang. Also, on the signature page, I photocopy the deposit cheque or, if they pay cash, make a note that the deposit was paid and its amount.

Suzie_Homemaker
02-26-2015, 05:49 AM
Also, on the signature page, I photocopy the deposit cheque or, if they pay cash, make a note that the deposit was paid and its amount.This good idea. I take cash for deposit and give receipt but could write security receipt number of contract before copying. I think I will do this now on.

5 Little Monkeys
02-26-2015, 07:46 AM
Oh yes, the deposit. I write that down on their payment sheet and make sure it's marked as deposit so I know when they leave how much they owe as it gets used towards their last month in care.

If a deposit is first used as a holding fee (if the spot isn't opening up ASAP) than I print off 2 letters. One for them, one for me and it explains that they've paid xxx amount to hold a spot. Once they start, it is than their deposit but if they decide not to start with me for some reason, they forfeit their holding fee.

ebhappydc
02-26-2015, 09:49 AM
Do think it's ok to get a deposit and a separate holding fee? I too like to get teacher clients and I'm starting to get inquiries now for fall care. I'd have the deposit go toward first or last weeks of care, but the holding fee would help me with lost income due to holding spot for so many months and that wouldn't go toward anything. And they'd lose both if child ended up not coming. Is this okay iyo? Thanks ever so.

33 Daiseys
02-26-2015, 09:55 AM
I do the same, and then when a family leaves I also ask that they fill out a Why I am leaving form. It has why they left, what they liked, ect. I find it's nice to have on file as to why they left, as in the past a few lady have had issue with gossip being said. I keep everything in a file folder in the past clients bin

5 Little Monkeys
02-26-2015, 01:41 PM
oops, meant to quote ebhappydc....

I'm not sure if this is okay or if you would even find anyone that would agree to that? I haven't had it happen yet but if they ended up not coming, I would keep the holding fee for that lost time I wasn't advertising but if they come, I use that towards care. I wouldn't feel right about keeping money that they didn't receive care for if they came here like they said they would. That would be money I received for doing nothing and I'm not out anything...I can't see too many parents agreeing to that?

ebhappydc
02-26-2015, 02:56 PM
oops, meant to quote ebhappydc....

I'm not sure if this is okay or if you would even find anyone that would agree to that? I haven't had it happen yet but if they ended up not coming, I would keep the holding fee for that lost time I wasn't advertising but if they come, I use that towards care. I wouldn't feel right about keeping money that they didn't receive care for if they came here like they said they would. That would be money I received for doing nothing and I'm not out anything...I can't see too many parents agreeing to that?

I see what you mean. Think I'll just ask for a non-refund deposit to hold their spot which will go towards care. Although I know some providers require half fees during summer if child doesn't come so that's paying for no service. It just hurts when we hold a spot and it falls through. But I know I also have the choice not to hold spots therefore no risk... The teachers usually don't need start date till Sept though.... Thanx

Suzie_Homemaker
02-26-2015, 03:01 PM
I see what you mean. Think I'll just ask for a non-refund deposit to hold their spot which will go towards care. Although I know some providers require half fees during summer if child doesn't come so that's paying for no service. It just hurts when we hold a spot and it falls through. But I know I also have the choice not to hold spots therefore no risk... The teachers usually don't need start date till Sept though.... Thanx

I don't hold spot without pay. If I have opening, and someone want it, they pay for it from time it is available. Don't want to pay, then next person will.

My next vacancy will be September 2015 when oldest child go to school. I filled that place in November 2014 and person not need care until November 2015 but they know once boy leave for school and place is empty, they have to pay full rate for it for rest of September, all October until the start date. If they didn't agree to that they would not get place.

5 Little Monkeys
02-26-2015, 03:04 PM
The half fee throughout summer is a bit different though. They technically do need that service so that they are guaranteed a spot come Fall. That is paying for the spot, not days used and therefore it is a service they are getting even if the child doesn't come to daycare. I hope that makes sense!

I don't hold spots so I'm not out any money but just out of time to advertise if they choose not to come. The only reason I take a holding fee(I take a deposit no matter what) is if the spot opening isn't for awhile. If the spot opens in September, they would pay the holding fee now to guarantee that the spot is theirs. If the spot is open now and they don't need until September than they have to start paying now though. Again, hope that makes sense lol.

ebhappydc
02-26-2015, 08:03 PM
The half fee throughout summer is a bit different though. They technically do need that service so that they are guaranteed a spot come Fall. That is paying for the spot, not days used and therefore it is a service they are getting even if the child doesn't come to daycare. I hope that makes sense!

I don't hold spots so I'm not out any money but just out of time to advertise if they choose not to come. The only reason I take a holding fee(I take a deposit no matter what) is if the spot opening isn't for awhile. If the spot opens in September, they would pay the holding fee now to guarantee that the spot is theirs. If the spot is open now and they don't need until September than they have to start paying now though. Again, hope that makes sense lol.

Thanks for your patience I'm in Ontario and have one spot left in my daycare that a teacher is interested in for September care for her to be 14 mnth old baby. I could potentially fill my spot earlier than that now with a 2+ year old but seldom get inquiries for 2+. If I give the spot to the teacher would I just obtain a deposit to hold this spot til Sept? Or should she start paying for it now even tho she doesn't need it yet? Thanks for taking time to help.

5 Little Monkeys
02-26-2015, 08:36 PM
It's entirely up to you....you have a few choices that I can think of

1. Tell her that the spot is open now and if she would like to secure it for Fall, she will have to pay starting now. With this, she is free to use the spot when she would like though. If she wants to introduce baby to daycare starting part time, this would be ideal. (If you do that though...some providers don't like a gradual entry and like to just start ft, again up to you!!)

2. I charge a holiday fee for any days that I know ahead of time that they won't be here. It is $10 less a day so $200 less a month. I would charge this if I went with the option of making her pay now. It's a big enough decrease for a parent to consider this option but not a huge cut into my pay (and really, getting that $10 less a day but also not having the child in care yet is kinda a bonus lol)

3. Tell her that she can pass for now and risk you not having a spot in September because if you find a child between now and than, you will be choosing them from a business financial standpoint.

4. Take a deposit from her ( I do one week's pay and than apply that to their last month in care once they start) and hold the spot for her come September. It is a risk only you can decide if you want to take. I totally understand that the over 2 crowd is harder to come by but I also get that asking a parent to start paying now might not work either and they will just look elsewhere or touch base with you closer to September.

FWIW, I have never had a parent say they will start and than decide not to come. However, I also haven't had too many spots open up where I knew months in advance (I think only 2 families signed on early and than had to wait for their start date) If I had been burned in the past than my advice might be different. I know there are a few providers here who have had that happen and it is definitely a possibility but like I said, it's a risk you will have to decide to take or not.

ebhappydc
02-26-2015, 10:06 PM
It's entirely up to you....you have a few choices that I can think of

1. Tell her that the spot is open now and if she would like to secure it for Fall, she will have to pay starting now. With this, she is free to use the spot when she would like though. If she wants to introduce baby to daycare starting part time, this would be ideal. (If you do that though...some providers don't like a gradual entry and like to just start ft, again up to you!!)

2. I charge a holiday fee for any days that I know ahead of time that they won't be here. It is $10 less a day so $200 less a month. I would charge this if I went with the option of making her pay now. It's a big enough decrease for a parent to consider this option but not a huge cut into my pay (and really, getting that $10 less a day but also not having the child in care yet is kinda a bonus lol)

3. Tell her that she can pass for now and risk you not having a spot in September because if you find a child between now and than, you will be choosing them from a business financial standpoint.

4. Take a deposit from her ( I do one week's pay and than apply that to their last month in care once they start) and hold the spot for her come September. It is a risk only you can decide if you want to take. I totally understand that the over 2 crowd is harder to come by but I also get that asking a parent to start paying now might not work either and they will just look elsewhere or touch base with you closer to September.

FWIW, I have never had a parent say they will start and than decide not to come. However, I also haven't had too many spots open up where I knew months in advance (I think only 2 families signed on early and than had to wait for their start date) If I had been burned in the past than my advice might be different. I know there are a few providers here who have had that happen and it is definitely a possibility but like I said, it's a risk you will have to decide to take or not.

Thanks...i'll think over all the posts...Teachers are probably most likely to return to work I think.... they wouldn't want to lose their teaching spot, even temporarily as I've heard it's hard to get back in a school once they're out. So, this client is probably a sure bet . Yes, I've been burned once before (you're lucky you haven't been), holding a spot for 4 months when i could have filled it earlier. The mom decided to stay home instead of return to work in the end as her employer was downsizing. Thanks!