PDA

View Full Version : To Finish The Course Or Not To Finish The Course

Emma H
03-02-2015, 02:27 PM
Hey everyone!

I just needed some advice on some school courses. I have finally finished my degree in Early Childhood Education but prior to this I started a Teachers Aide and Child Psychology diploma program. I never finished it but now I am think I want to just complete them to have some more education. Would it be a waste of time to finish them....

5 Little Monkeys
03-02-2015, 02:48 PM
Only you can decide that for yourself. Education is never a bad thing but can you afford to take the courses right now and what are your plans for the future with those courses? Those are things I'd consider when trying to decide.

Emma H
03-02-2015, 02:52 PM
The courses are pretty much paid off I think I owe around $700 for books. I would use it now while I am doing daycare and frame it will my degree. Also if daycare rates go down to 15 dollars a day I will have a few back up plans lol

5 Little Monkeys
03-02-2015, 02:58 PM
If they are paid for than yes I would take them! No question about it :)

If you don't think that hdc is going to be your long term plan than I would definitely consider taking them because like you said, you will need a back up plan!

kindertime
03-02-2015, 03:05 PM
Honestly, I don't think you have too much to worry about with the $15/day plan. Firstly, the NDP would have to win the election... hasn't ever happened yet, not holding my breath. And it's a promise from a politician... Again, not holding my breath.

As for the education, I abandoned my Art History degree nearly 20 yrs ago... never looked back. But if you think the courses could serve you in the future, then by all means, yes take them. Easier to do it now when you're young and have LOTS of energy, right?

Emma H
03-02-2015, 03:23 PM
Yes that is true! Might as well do it if its paid for ...I hate school though....I want to do Daycare forever if I can I love it....I was going to finish the programs because I felt bad dropping out them...I thought maybe those to programs would tie nicely with the degree

torontokids
03-02-2015, 04:27 PM
Who are the courses with? Some of those private colleges offer a lot of diplomas that are useless and unfortunately don't get you anywhere. Its a shame because they are such a sham! Not sure what a diploma in child psyc gives you or teachers aide for that matter. You need an actual teaching degree in Ontario to teach (from my understanding) to to be a psychologist you need a lot more schooling and I doubt a diploma is child psyc would be recognized.

Emma H
03-02-2015, 04:32 PM
I think it was through ICS Canada. My mom was forcing me to take a course at the time so I just did it through them because I could do it from home and there wasn't a college near by. After I moved that's when I got my ECE diploma through Conestoga college then bridged into a degree through Ryerson. I just thought it would be a nice addition to add to my resume or hang on my wall lol

kindertime
03-02-2015, 04:38 PM
Oh...ICS, International Correspondance Schools...yah, that kind of "diploma" means nothing in the job market. Sorry, but it really is a waste of money. I should know, I have one too!! Back when the the whole Art History thing wasn't working out...oh to be young again. lol

Emma H
03-02-2015, 04:51 PM
http://www.icslearn.ca/

Is it that one? I wasn't sure of it until I went to my bank and I saw it hanging on the wall from one of the advisors. I asked them it is was a good school and she recommended it.

kindertime
03-02-2015, 04:57 PM
That's the one. Well, of course she would, she wouldn't say it was a waste of time if she had it on the wall. Just for curiosity... which bank is it?

Emma H
03-02-2015, 05:19 PM
it was TD she had her own office