PDA

View Full Version : Second guessing myself

Tinyones1981
03-04-2015, 01:24 PM
I just signed up a new client beginning in Sept, great family and lovely child. I am now having second thoughts at the agreement that we signed. They requested only 4 days a week, I was ok with it at first, but now after signing everything and thinking about it I really don't feel ok with it. How on earth am I going to fill a spot for 1 day a week. I know they are set with the 4 days and wont go for the 5. So Yes I know my own fault for agreeing to it and I cant change it now. So I guess what I am wondering is when I renew my contract with them, can I tell them that I am no longer allowing 4 days a week that only full time 5 days is what I am taking on? What are everyone's thoughts?

kindertime
03-04-2015, 01:31 PM
What is it about the 4 days/week that you thought was okay but now isn't? Is it the money? If so, then maybe you should tell them now, not wait until you renew. If you don't think you can fill the 1 day spot, better to tell them now. It is a full 6 months away. If they won't take the spot full time, they have a while to find somewhere else. You can just tell them you changed your mind, that on second thought, it won't work for you.

bright sparks
03-04-2015, 01:35 PM
You could do that at any time to be honest. You could give them 30 days written notice of a change in contract. Set a 7 day time limit for it to be returned and 30 day notice for the changes to commence just so you aren't left wondering whether they agree to the change and are staying, or they are leaving. Also include in the notice that should you not receive the notice returned and signed in agreeance by said date, that you will take it as their two weeks notice. You don't need to wait a full year and put up with something that does not suit your business needs for all that time. If this is a spot for September why don't you just return the deposit now and not start with anything and then advertise the spot as a 5 day spot. There is still plenty of time to fill it for September.

daycaremum
03-04-2015, 02:37 PM
If you don't like what you have agreed to let them know right away!! They still have plenty of time before September if they don't want to keep the spot with you. Return any deposit they have paid (refundable or non-refundable, as you are no longer offering the service you agreed to). Please be open and honest with this family so they can do what is right for them.

babydom
03-04-2015, 02:53 PM
I'd let them know now. Say sorry, after some more thought I think I rather fill the five full days instad of four. Financially it will be better for me as I will probably not be able to fill just a one day a wk spot. Offer her the fith day or her deposit back. But do it now! She won't b upset. She should understand.

Suzie_Homemaker
03-04-2015, 03:00 PM
I just signed up a new client beginning in Sept, great family and lovely child. I am now having second thoughts at the agreement that we signed. They requested only 4 days a week, I was ok with it at first, but now after signing everything and thinking about it I really don't feel ok with it. How on earth am I going to fill a spot for 1 day a week. I know they are set with the 4 days and wont go for the 5. So Yes I know my own fault for agreeing to it and I cant change it now. So I guess what I am wondering is when I renew my contract with them, can I tell them that I am no longer allowing 4 days a week that only full time 5 days is what I am taking on? What are everyone's thoughts?

I have done this.

I had run of vacancy couple year back. Local company closure, mean loss of work for some, lots of Moms tried own day care and it did affect all for a while.

I had teacher come in September wanting care for January. I never take part time and turn away lot of people wanting 3 day or 4 day but vacancies sitting there not getting filled and starting to worry.

This teacher wanted 4 day a week too. Wednesday child go to grandparent. She agreed to pay all summer, sometime he here, sometimes he not here.

I feel I do regret a bit. Took over a year to find someone who want just that Wednesday. So lost income for all that time because broke own rule about part-time. No one work one day a week and if did, small chance of being the same day as empty day.

Child now 2 so I have cycle now of 3 years before he go school where I have another PT child. What happen when this kid go school? I am stuck with finding a 4 day a week person again and the cycle goes on.

I was okay with at first because so relive to fill a place. Course a couple months later, all filled again but one year of empty one day is still 52 unpaid days in a year. About the same as two months money.

What I ended up doing was target advertise to stay-at-home parent who need day to run errands or just have some time off to self or maybe with school age child before/after school. That who took place in end.

I even consider using another FT place for one of the 4-day requests giving me two days between the two which might be easier than one day a week client.

I don't think you can force into 5 days a week. You already know they won't go for the 5 now so why think when contract renewed they suddenly will stay. If thinking you have proved yourself by then, that bit naughty to manipulate that way knowing parent might stress about changing carer.

What you can do is be straight forward and give them notice based on the empty one day proven impossible to fill. I think after a year if that true, then they will understand situation but likely not want 5 days and so need to move on.

If you thinking of forcing change when contract end, why not give notice now and keep looking between now for FT client. I don't understand why you think "can't change now" but willing to change after contract end.

Crayola kiddies
03-05-2015, 08:10 AM
Well hopefully you charge more per day for part time so you are not out that much. But if it doesn't start till sept and you have other people wanting the spot then tell them now .... But if you haven't had any inquiries in months then maybe 4 days is better then no days

MsBell
03-05-2015, 08:28 AM
I don't do this, but a friend of mine has different rates for the number of days they need. so if you charge a little more for the fours days, you don't lose as much on that lost day, and then if you happen to find that person who just wants that one day, they paymore too, and in the end you make more.....it just takes the times and energy to do that. So for example, I think her daily rate for 5 days is $38, then her daily rate for 4 days is $42, 3 days $46, 2 days $48 and 1 day is $50

BlueRose
03-15-2015, 07:48 AM
I do what MsBell is talking about. I have a full time rate and part time rates

$225/week/child full time

$180/week ($90/day) for 2 days a week (set days)
$180/week ($60/day) for 3 days a week (set days)
$200/week ($50/day) for 4 days a week (set days)
You can only come on your scheduled days. There is no switching of days due to absences or daycare closer. Any extra days needed, there will be a $50/day fee to be paid at arrival on those days or in advance of care. Extra days are not guaranteed, an are on a case by case basis.

If you need flex care (non-set days) you will need to pay for a Full Time spot

This way I am not losing much income.