PDA

View Full Version : Husbands home during dc hours.

mattsmom
03-16-2015, 01:52 PM
Just wondering if any of you ladies had new or potential clients make a fuss about your husband or SO being home sometime during the day when the dck's are there?
My hubby has his own business so sometimes he is in and out during the day.

I just found it an odd question.

torontokids
03-16-2015, 01:57 PM
I get it. They don't know him. I know for myself, when I was looking into day cares for my first daughter I had concerns about some of the males involved. One daycare was run by a husband and wife team and he kind of gave me the creeps (and kissed my daughter in the first meeting, he initiated it too), and another was an older son who was around a lot. I just didn't feel comfortable as I didn't know them. I had a hard time finding a female caregiver I felt comfortable with too though and opted for a centre. So it may just be my issue.

torontokids
03-16-2015, 01:58 PM
I should add, because of this though I do talk about my husband during the interview e.g. that he is not home on a regular basis, has a clean police record etc.

AmandaKDT
03-16-2015, 01:59 PM
No, never had anyone be concerned about my husband. I would be wondering if a home daycare is right for them if they are concerned about him being around sometimes. It is your home, of course your husband or any other family member has the right to be there.

But I did have a criminal background check and child abuse registry check done for my husband as well, and show this to the parents at our intro meeting.

mattsmom
03-16-2015, 02:01 PM
Yeah, maybe that's it. I've just never had that before and I've been doing this for over 9 years.

He doesn't have anything to do with the daycare, it just happens that he comes in and out during the day. I had a potential dc mom call me this afternoon and my hubby answered. Then she emailed me and asked why he was home, since he answered, and if this happens all the time.

He has a record check and everything. Plus it is his home too!!

5 Little Monkeys
03-16-2015, 02:07 PM
I do understand the worry that some may have with males in the house but realistically, females can be predators too so it is an unfair judgement towards males. If they are worried than I agree with the others, maybe a centre daycare is better as there are more eyes on each other and can "watch" the staff for inappropriate behaviour.

My husband works evenings and is off summers, christmas and spring break and the occasional PD day so he is home A LOT during daycare hours. He is also my back up provider which most parents view as a good thing because I don't have to close often if I'm not feeling well or if I have an appointment. He also has his checks done and works for our school division which I think puts them at ease as well. I have only had one parent who was a bit unsure about this arrangement. I had an appointment one morning and they had only been here a week or so. She asked if she could bring her daughter once I was home and I of course said yes. Awhile later she apologized to me and said she was absolutely fine with my husband watching her child now. I totally understood and neither him or I were offended at it at all nor thought she was being unreasonable.

SillyGirl_C
03-16-2015, 02:48 PM
As a parent, as long as I knew up front that the DCD was there intermittently and saw a criminal check, I would be unconcerned. It is your home after all. Geez.

FSD
03-16-2015, 03:22 PM
My husband works odd hours as a salesman. Because he works on the weekends, his days off are during the week. I made this clear to all my daycare parents and made sure that when they came for the initial interview that my hubby was there as well. I haven't had any issues at all, in fact, the kids love him more than they love me!! lol The parents love it because he plays guitar for the kiddos all the time. :)

Suzie_Homemaker
03-16-2015, 03:25 PM
Just wondering if any of you ladies had new or potential clients make a fuss about your husband or SO being home sometime during the day when the dck's are there?
My hubby has his own business so sometimes he is in and out during the day.

I just found it an odd question.

It common question here too. Parent want to know who coming into contact with child. Parent get chance to check our carer but not chance to interview check out spouse or friend coming in for coffee at nap time or any other adults. It valid concern.

Here, we expected to produce a police check for every adult in house.

playfelt
03-16-2015, 04:42 PM
I talk about my hubby in the interview because if I was really sick he would be the back up since someone has to be here to look after our own daughter. He actually retired last week after 40 years in the military so is here all day. Maybe he will get another job and maybe not - a few resumes out but we want to just enjoy a couple weeks of less stress. I love having him here to do simple things like put the other baby in their highchair or hand out the cups as I fill them. The rest of the time he worries about our own daughter and basically stays out of the way.

I have had the question in interviews and to me it is a red flag in the sense that as someone mentioned this is my house and my family lives here and your child is invited to spend their days with us and that includes all of us including my son who now lives in Calgary or my mom who comes in the summer and stays for 6 weeks. If the family is that unsure then a daycare centre may be a better suggestion for them. I get that it is an issue but other than asking who else is home all day that is as far as it should matter.

ebhappydc
03-16-2015, 05:22 PM
Prior to one of my dcks coming to my daycare, his mom went early to pick him up and someone she never met was looking after the daycare while the provider was picking up other kids from school....she was quite upset. When she came here, i told her as i do at every interview about everyone that comes in contact with my daycare.... that i have grown children who live at home and my husband is home sometimes for lunch. They have their backgrounds done, but i was still worried as i have 2 teenage boys 13, and 18, and 16 yrdaugh. I'm surprised when parents dont' ask about them during interview as i advertise that i am mother of older children. I'm lucky though because my 18 yr old son is lifeguard/swim instructor at the city pool where the parents see him working and he's a medical first responder volunteer so i actually feel safer when he's around. my daughter is already a piano teacher so i think it helps relax parents. i honestly thought it would be a problem when my boys became teens, but it hasn't.

sandylynn
03-16-2015, 05:29 PM
In ALL THE YEARS I have been doing this job...I have NEVER EVER had any parent ask anything about my husband being home....and he's home from work by 1:00....hmmm...I also had a teen age son ....

flowerchild
03-16-2015, 05:45 PM
this is my house and my family lives here and your child is invited to spend their days with us and that includes all of us

This.

I can understand asking who will be in the home during the day or who your child may come in contact with. If someone was making an issue over the fact that my husband may be around occasionally on his days off or whatnot then my daycare is not the place for them. This is his home.

I have my husband listed in my contract as one of my backup care providers in the event I have to be out of the house for a personal appointment or to take the kids to an appointment. I also offer new families the chance to meet him before signing on. Usually he's been around for the interviews, so it's not an issue. He's had a police check as well.

Fun&care
03-16-2015, 05:47 PM
Parents never ask about my hubby because they don't really have to. I am upfront right for the beginning and he is usually there for the interview. He isn't here that much, just before/after work and obviously on days off etc. I have only on occasion had him be my back up but I always give parents the option of keeping their child home instead and my waiving the fee if they don't feel comfortable.

I seriously don't blame ppl though. I myself have gotten very wary of males who come in contact with my kids as of late. We recently discovered that a well loved doctor from our hometown was a molester. He was my hubby's doctor. Then, we found out just a few weeks ago that a lawyer from our town molested his daughters when they were little. The kicker is I babysat this guys kid...a lot. Nothing ever happened, but man....it really makes you think that even ppl you know and trust can be all kinds of bad....*sigh* it's so so terrible :(

torontokids
03-16-2015, 06:03 PM
I worked with kids that were sexually abused prior to opening my DC. I am definitely more sensitive to this than some I am sure. This is why I chose a DC centre for my first child. If I close up shop I think I would go the centre route again. All the home daycares I visited weren't up to snuff for me which is why I made my DC exactly how I would have liked for my children. A lot of parents comment on how my DC is so different than others they had visited and this has been a huge selling point for me. I have never had a hard time attracting families either. I think my DC is more like a centre in that there is really no interaction with my life/home. The DC is in my basement and is completely self contained (kitchen, bathroom) with a separate entrance which I love. So even if my husband is home, he never comes into the DC during open hours. Actually we see the DC as so separate from our home we are really never in there except during business hours. The kids also get the benefits of a home daycare with the small group size, extra cuddles and one consistent caregiver.

mimi
03-17-2015, 09:07 AM
My husband is present for all my interviews. He works from home occasionally and also participates in some daycare activities and outings. It is important that the parents know this up front as well as they know he has a police check and a deeper RCMP background check for his job.
The parents are happy there is a "helper" for my daycare and appreciate the extra set of eyes. The kids love my husband and develop a bond with him.
During interviews he plays with the child while I chat with the parents, but he does not show any physical affection during this time as I agree, it can be off putting for some parents.

33 Daiseys
03-17-2015, 09:37 AM
oh my god, did anyone just read about the daycare provider's husband that did horrible things to to daycare girls? can't connect the link but it's all over facebook.

CrazyEight
03-17-2015, 09:39 AM
My husband works shifts and a lot of weekends, so is home sometimes during the week. I'm always upfront about this during interviews, and try to schedule them when he is home as he's my back-up if I have a doctor's appointment or something, as he can usually rearrange his schedule to be home. He will also stay with the little ones if the weather is crappy or somebody is still napping when school gets out, so I can run and collect the older kids. The parents know and have ok'd this. We both have police checks with a vulnerable sector screening, and that has helped parents be ok with this. I've never had a problem, and I think having him at the interviews helps. He says hello, talks to the kids, and keeps my own kids entertained. Just being upfront about his presence has been enough. And I agree with the above posters - it's HIS house that these kids are invading every day, and if he wants to be home, he is free to do what he likes.

Suzie_Homemaker
03-17-2015, 09:50 AM
I think everyone do things different. That appeal of dayhome, always someone who offer what parent prefer. To me, not right way or wrong way but important to be transparent.

If family join day care knowing husband work from home, or husband cover day care when provider have appointment, or husband come home at lunch time, then that obviously not concern for family. It when parent see situation they not expecting or aware of, that appear to be issue.

For me, if parent, I want to know who is in contact with my child. And maybe want police check if regular interact but just because my child in day home, I would not presume or expect immediate family to be interacting with child. If someone family is regularly involved with business, I think that needs to be clear from beginning and then no misunderstand or surprises.

babydom
03-17-2015, 11:31 AM
33 daiseys. Yes. That is near me. Crazy!!! And that's why we get questions like this about our husbands. Don't take offence. Just know it's the news stories that give all home daycares a bad name and parents are doing their job to make sure their child is in safe hands, male or female.