PDA

View Full Version : Pregnancy and daycare

torontokids
03-17-2015, 12:49 PM
So we are trying for our 3rd baby but the problem is this:

One DCB's mom is pregnant, due in August. They want to keep him possibly for the year but for sure until Nov.

DCG's mom may be pregnant. They haven't told me yet but she looked like she was sporting a small bump today (and she is thin). I know they want a 3rd.

DCG #2- they have mentioned wanting another.

How do I manage this with people leaving when I want to get pregnant too? Who is going to sign on with a pregnant provider in Nov/Dec? How does it work with EI? I will have paid into the program a year as of August. Do they look at your yearly income or the last few months prior to mat leave? I could be out of DC kids a month of 2 before I am due. Argh, added stress!

I have one DCB who will stay with me until the end but if a preschool spot opens up in Sept like they do then it would make sense for them to take it.

I show pretty early.

I will be closing for the year and I don't think I will reopen or if I do it would just be for a yr or so.

CrazyEight
03-17-2015, 01:10 PM
To qualify for EI mat leave, you have to pay into it for a full year. They look at your last year's income, after expenses, and you receive roughly 55% of that.

I am currently pregnant with #4, due in late July/early August. We planned it for the summer, and luckily it worked out that way, because I am not planning on closing, just using my 2-3 weeks vacation time. My husband has 3 weeks vacation and will take a few days on either end of my time off to help, and a few days when baby is born, obviously. My mom will probably come out when baby is a week or 2 old to stay and help for 10ish days as well. After looking at just how little I would bring in a month on EI (and the fact that we wanted a specific time frame and didn't want our kids too far apart) it just wasn't worth it to take an actual mat leave. Also, once you use the EI benefits, you have to continue to pay into the program for as long as you are self-employed; you can't opt back out.

With Bill 10 coming in, I have to term 2 kids. They were all told I am expecting, and they all want to stay. They know how hard it is going to be to find new spots, and I've had my clients for 2 years and a 1 year, respectively. I was worried some may leave, but no one did. The family that I have to term (my most difficult dckids) understand, as it's the law and there's nothing I can do about it, but are disappointed. I am keeping them until the end of the school year, as one is B/A school, and they've already confirmed they are staying until the end.

With the laws changing, I don't think it would be impossible to find kids, even while pregnant. I would be open with any new clients, obviously, and I think the most important thing is to lay out a clear plan as to how you're approaching it - backup in place for doctor's appointments, etc. The more confident and prepared you are, the easier they are going to feel about it.

Good luck!

Suzie_Homemaker
03-17-2015, 01:22 PM
I not have this personally, my baby days long over. But here, I know most carer not bother with EI for mat leave because it limited benefit and no opt out after chosen to opt in. Stuck paying EI until end of self-employment.

It cost $1.88 per $100 profit - so income after all expense. I think it line 150 of tax return. The benefit is your most recent return profit amount divided by 52 weeks for an average x about 55% (max). For lot of local providers, because it based on profit not gross income, the mat pay amount not very much.

If say claimed $24k profit last year, then get about $250 per week. But I think it only pay out for limited number of weeks.

I don't think it worth worry about people leaving and their situation. You never be able to plan baby when it good time with own business. Some client will leave no matter when you do it. Some client will stay. No way to know if people will sign with you once you are expecting baby but likely will minimize some because you taking whole year. Lot of local provider just take few days/weeks so new clients signing not so worried. Maybe could focus on short term client if need be? Here, lot people put child in facility but many not take younger than 18 months so lot parents need care short term after mat leave end before baby is toddler and can go to big centre. Is this possible in your market or no really?

3rdtimesacharm
03-17-2015, 01:33 PM
I have interviewed potential clients being very visibly pregnant, two times, with both my youngest children. I was only taking 2 weeks off from the daycare and luckily I was a few days late with both so no overly-unanticipated closures for my families. They were happy to deal with this and had backup care.
I have no experience with EI, sorry.

torontokids
03-17-2015, 01:44 PM
EI is worth it for me. I live in a market where parents pay a premium for daycare $60 per day. So I will be able to get the max amount if they are looking at my yearly income as long as it doesn't drop too significantly once parents leave. Since I am closing it may make things harder to book a new client for only 3 months of care when they know I am closing.

concernedmama
03-23-2015, 11:05 AM
I had a similar issue too.. I wanted to grow my family and have income at the same time. But with not getting the chance to pay into EI the year before. I still made my choice to have my 2nd baby with or without the concerns of my clients. I started this day home to be with my family, and stay home with my baby, therefore I will not live my life around other peoples wants and needs, despite of what they are doing, or what they want. I am here for my family, and myself first.
So that being said, I am due in July for my 2nd baby, and I will be only taking 2 months off for maternity leave because of my lack of knowledge for EI payments... next baby will be properly planned, and well budgeted.

sandylynn
03-24-2015, 07:52 AM
Torontokids....where are you located that 60.00/day is the norm?

torontokids
03-24-2015, 12:07 PM
Torontokids....where are you located that 60.00/day is the norm?

Toronto. The average is $60-75 per day depending on location. Scarborough and Etobicoke or North Toronto have lower fees.