PDA

View Full Version : 38 years love the children "is there help for parents"

2nd mom
10-29-2011, 02:42 AM
38 years I have raised my surrogate children but I think I'm starting to lose my mind. Is it just old age or are parents becoming more and more crazy. Interviewed a couple looking for care for their 2 yr old. They wanted their child to wear a helmet at all times in case of injuries, did not want him using utensils in case he poked himself, did not want him to be potty trained until he was 6 in case he was to tip over on his potty seat, and oh yes no outside play while at daycare as they did not want him exposed to outside elements in case of colds. Needless to say he is not a member of my second family but seriously gals is it just me (cause I'm getting old) or are parents today loosing it.:ohmy:

Play and Learn
10-29-2011, 07:45 AM
HOLY CRAP!?!?! Wrapping up your child in a bubble and making him a failure! Bravo parents!!!

No, you're not getting old....just some parents are idiots and stupid. NEXT!

playfelt
10-29-2011, 08:57 AM
It isn't just you. I have been in childcare for over 25 years too and because of that we have gone through several generations of parents and each one is more restrictive than the other. When I first started it was almost expected that a child would fall out of a tree at daycare and break an arm because afterall they were there to play and not at home where they would have done the same thing. Now if a child gets a scrape we have to fill out accident reports and fret the parents will report us or at minimum pull their child for lack of supervision. I blame that reporting to some extent because parents have been raised to fear everyone and everything. No one wants to be blamed for normal occurances. Big brother so to speak is watching everyone and parents have been pushed into those bubbles by misunderstandings and misdealings with children's services etc. And manufacturers are taking advantage of their irrational fears and the cycle has to stop soon. Is it any wonder kids are maturing later, or in some cases not at all. It really is scary and I think more so because we know what it used to be like and what kids used to be like and capable of and what we deal with now. I try my best to give my daycare kids the freedom they need to explore and learn without being on their case all day long.

CPST_Manda
10-29-2011, 06:58 PM
I haven't been in daycare very long but I know exactly what you mean. Parents want to pay DCP to do things they themselves aren't willing to do, and they want to pay peanuts on top of it all. I try not to let that bother me because I know a good family will come a long who appreciates my philosophy and it will make it all worth it :)

dodge__driver11
11-23-2011, 02:09 PM
Sorry but I read this post and burst out laughing, not because its "HAHA" funny but because its just plain silly, wow. I feel really bad for that kid, they are starting a whole ball of wax right there.

Judy Trickett
11-23-2011, 05:04 PM
..........but seriously gals is it just me (cause I'm getting old) or are parents today loosing it.:ohmy:

It's NOT you. Hell, I have only been in this a third of the time you have and I can tell you that in my nine short years I have seen the change. Kids are soooo babied now. I get kids who come in at 12 months old and are not even able to use a sippy cup or feed themselves finger food. They never walk, are always held or pushed around in a stroller. NONE of them know how to self-soothe AT ALL and they all take FOREVER to transition during nap times.

And of course, in their entire first year of daycare they can not have ANY strawberries, peanut butter, eggs, limited dairy etc etc etc....I mean, I'm pretty sure that it takes 10,000 years for a gene sequence in humans to change so I wonder WHY we suddenly can't even EAT real, common foods for the first two years of our life.....:rolleyes:

Oh, and potty training........man, oh, man.....pretty soon it's gonna be cheaper just to buy some big old Depends for these kids rather than those ENORMOUS diapers they now make for 4 year olds!:blink:

Yeah, seriously........... .........NOT YOU!:no:

Judy Trickett
11-23-2011, 05:05 PM
I haven't been in daycare very long but I know exactly what you mean. Parents want to pay DCP to do things they themselves aren't willing to do, and they want to pay peanuts on top of it all. I try not to let that bother me because I know a good family will come a long who appreciates my philosophy and it will make it all worth it :)

I call this outsourced parenting.

And yes, it's getting more and more prevalent.

bright sparks
06-29-2012, 07:31 PM

I did the exact same. I want to say your making it up, cause this is just so unbelieveable. This poor child is sure to be ****ed up unless theres some serious intervention and help for the PARENT. This child hasn't got a chance if she doesnt suddenly have a reality check. I'm sure this mum would do real well on the show "bubble wrapped kids"

UNBELIEVABLE!!!

jazmic
06-29-2012, 07:41 PM
:ohmy: Please tell us you're joking. Please tell us you're pulling our legs and you made this up! :eek:

Toregone
06-29-2012, 11:37 PM
I think the worst part of that for me was no potty training until he was 6 in case he falls over on his potty seat... what? The other stuff.. well it's crazy but I've at least heard of it before. The potty training thing is just nuts. I'm sure by the time the child is crapping his pants at 5 years old and they have to change that stinky mess they will reget that decision. How is this child supposed to go to school in a few years?

Mamma_Mia
06-30-2012, 01:07 AM
How is this child supposed to go to school in a few years?

Ding Ding Ding!!!

I hope they plan on home schooling because NO school will allow or follow any of the above.

Inspired by Reggio
06-30-2012, 06:53 AM
Oh wow ~ prime candidates for that 'bubble wrapped' show :rolleyes:

The delayed potty training for fear he'd fall off the toilet ~ that is a new one for me too cause seriously if the kid is THAT clumsy they have these cool new inventions .... CHILD SIZE POTTIES where they are right on the floor and the 'fall' would be no different than falling over sitting cross legged on the floor :p

And yes if you are that afraid to let your child out into the world you better A) be planning on staying home and raising them and educating them outside the school system cause you will never have the trust to relinquish control to someone else and B) you best be putting aside an RTSP ... registered THERAPY savings plan cause your poor kid is going to need some serious help later in life!