PDA

View Full Version : Safety

suzydominguez
03-24-2015, 12:29 PM
Hello everyone,
I would like your opinion on something thats been on my mind. Private childcare providers as myself, don't have monthly inspections. The new bill states that inspectors are now allowed to come and inspect our daycare, i am a little worried because i do not know what is involved in an inspection or what they look for. I was thinking of doing a little research and just having something in writing. For example a safety check list including outlet covers, door covers, carbon monoxide detectors, safety gates, etc. I would also like to have in writing what my procedure is for meals and diaper changes, etc. Even though we are not required to do this, I think it would help us and definitely make us more confident if we are surprised with one. Thank you in advance :D

babydom
03-24-2015, 01:06 PM
I think they are going to mainly look for numbers and conditions. Do a head count of up to five. Walk around make sure they don't hear extras kids hiding in closest or basement rms. look around make sure things are bright clean maintained etc.

3rdtimesacharm
03-24-2015, 01:16 PM
And where on earth are they going to find the addresses for these private daycares? The only way we will be inspected is if we have a complaint filed against us. (over numbers...) Am I right

sandylynn
03-24-2015, 06:01 PM
My thoughts exactly...I KNOW if I ever have a knock on my door....I will know EXACTLY who it was (that's if she knows of the new rules Jan 2016)...her name is Mrs. KRAVITZ....She has spent the last 30 years peeping out her window, talking about everyone on the street behind their back...makes EVERYBODY'S business her own....absolutely RIDICULOUS....other than her...I don't anticipate a knock on my door!

5 Little Monkeys
03-24-2015, 06:07 PM
I know places like our home insurance and the police dept (due to having my checks done) know my address and that I run a hdc....I don't know if they could get the info from those places but I would imagine so. I would think the most common is going to come from those who report hdc's for going over numbers though

Suzie_Homemaker
03-24-2015, 06:44 PM
Many of the Maritime Provinces have limits and inspections for private day care. Mainly they come if someone has complained. Essentially, they count the numbers, make nothing crazy is happening. Just know what rules apply and follow them.
They not care about covered sockets on everything unless it exactly at location of crib! Just common sense things and numbers and making sure there not 3 adults and 3x children.
They come here two times in 20 years. One time I termed client who not paying on time and I took to small claims court so I think he reported for stupid, false reason. They come, I have one child sitting on potty outside bathroom door, another child on toilet, and a third running round with no pants on cause he waiting for toilet and got fed up with friend taking too long. Little boy asked inspector if she was looking at his "wiener" so they not stay long!
Other time was error from new parent. I had 6 children registered , allowed 5 but two were sharing place and so not here at same time. I think parent believed no more than 5 registered not understand that two share place. They just did headcount, quick look through to make sure no other kids here, comment on how clean and bright and apologized for interrupting our fun but they must check. I just showed my contract which stated days registered so they could see the arrangement and I offer parents contact telephone numbers if they want to check but they didn't.

sandylynn
03-24-2015, 07:31 PM
Suzie_Homemaker....t hat's funny! I'd be sure to strip down my 3 yr. old little boy ..if I only knew if and when they were coming! And maybe they wouldn't stay too long...

babydom
03-25-2015, 06:32 AM
I've heard that they will,go on sites like these. Find addresses or set up interviews as clients and come check. Just what I hear is going around. Who knows if it's true.

Suzie_Homemaker
03-25-2015, 06:59 AM
I've heard that they will,go on sites like these. Find addresses or set up interviews as clients and come check. Just what I hear is going around. Who knows if it's true.

It not spy camp! If they want to come in, they can. They can just knock on door, show badge and come in. You can turn away but they will draw own conclusions about that.

It's total gibberish that they undertake covert scoping out of little in home day care and pretend to be parnet. Fear mongering clap-trap.

Seriously makes no sense when they are entitled to check and can just knock on door. Imagine the man hours to scope out forums like this, track down people via user names, locate address, phone for appointment to see as a parent and oops, no vacancies so not interviewing. LOL What a total waste of time and effort and every step. Talk above over complicate something so simple.

They are not out to get us. They just want to check we not nutbars with 30 kids crammed in closets and under the beds. If sticking to the ratios, then nothing to hide.

ebhappydc
03-25-2015, 07:31 AM
Could they work with Revenue Canada to get addresses? I guess the pple breaking the law wouldn't be filing taxes either though....

Suzie_Homemaker
03-25-2015, 08:06 AM
Could they work with Revenue Canada to get addresses? I guess the pple breaking the law wouldn't be filing taxes either though....

That makes zero sense either.

One job code for in-home providers. Registered and private, same job code. So really expect judge to issue global court order for information about people on one job code. That is what they say in movies is "fishing for information" with no just cause or specifics.

And then, really expect CRA to create report that searches all Canadian's for our job code to hand list to municipal government agency so they can show up? I think more benefit in persuading judge to issue order for other job codes - what about electrician so municipality can check they licensed, or builder to check their permits up to date, or million of other situations more logicial than mis-mash of in-home carer, who might be registered or not, who are low income, who mostly follow the rules.

CRA is not allowed to give your address out. They can't even give out addresses to child maintenance without a court order.

Every time you do your tax, you have to give permission of CRA to pass your information to Elections. They are not going to out addresses without court order and courts have a lot to do without issue orders for someone to come out to your home, when they are already allowed to just knock on the door.

Busy ECE mommy
03-25-2015, 10:09 AM
I don't know how detailed they'll get with inspections, but I had a fire dept. inspection done before starting, and I was amazed at how detailed they were with checking electrical/fuse panel/furnace/extinguishers/GFI outlets/escape plans/escape ladder etc. It enlightened me and was well worth $200. Not sure if it's just about head counts/looking at start dates for the "under 2's etc"? Any feedback from those who've had agency inspections done before? What did they look for?

Suzie_Homemaker
03-25-2015, 12:29 PM
When registered, "inspections" were via agency so little different. Different because they have access to paperwork, menu, contract, accident log, anyway on on-going basis.

Inspection from agency used to be two times year. One announced, one unannounced. The agency would make sure all provincial regs followed. If regs require fence, agency check height and maintenance of fence. If regs require sink for dedicated handwashing, agency make sure that not blocked off, there is stool so kids can reach. If regs require cribs not pack n play for under 2's, the agency make sure that cribs there for each under 2 in home.

But inspection from Community Service for private day care different. It not true inspection because requirement for private much looser. If all your regs require is no more than 5 kids, that's all their inspection can check for. They not allow check for specifics which apply just to registered providers. They can only check for what applies to private - plus obvious signs of neglect/abuse.

Of course they will come if reports that you leave children unattended to meet school bus. Of course they will come if reports that you have more kids than allowed. Of course they will come if parent complain about quality of care. But they knock and announce and come in.

They are not going to check for socket covers, homo milk only, three veggies, two fruit, and a partridge in a pear tree if that not in the rules that apply to you.