PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone order from the Discount School Supply website?

Spixie33
10-29-2011, 11:14 AM
I am so frustrated because the Discount School Supply website has awesome stuff but they keep telling me they cannot ship to Canada.
Their website doesn;t say they don't ship to canada...it says that orders outside the 48 contingious US states will ship USPS and incur additional shipping charges but every time I contact a sales rep there they tell me they can't ship to Canada.

Does anyone from CDA order from this website or has ordered from this website or have a good solution? I have searched all over the web for similar products but nothing is priced as well or has the same sort of products on the Discount School supply website

Canada is not a 3rd world country - doesn't make sense that this is so difficult

playfelt
10-29-2011, 12:21 PM
What you would pay with shipping fees, customs duties at the border, etc. just doesn't make it worth ordering from some of these places. In the end the prices in the Canadian catalogues turns out to be nearly the same. Maybe there is a place we could list web links for some of the places in Canada that you can order from. I have used Avron here in Ontario, Wintergreen, and Flaghouse. I was buying specific items and felt the prices were ok. Not totally sure about all items but the service was good and quick delivery from all of them.

Spixie33
11-01-2011, 10:33 AM
Thanks Playfelt. I did look up those websites but still not quite the same.
Wintergreen has the pretend play people families I wanted to order but at $32 a family vs $16 from Discount School supply. Discount SS also has a great weather calendar where you can dress up the weather bear every day which I haven't found elsewhere and their wooden number pegs up to 10 seem much better made than the foam ones. Sigh
I guess I just have to forget about it

playfelt
11-01-2011, 12:36 PM
For those prices the other option is to find a friend in the US - I have used a friend from one of my yahoo chat groups that was into the same craft as me at the time and had the order sent to her. Then she forwarded the box to me. Meant paying twice for shipping but for that order we lucked out and over a certain amount was free shipping in the US so I only had to pay for the forward.

Inspired by Reggio
02-16-2012, 02:19 PM
I agree their prices are AWESOME there - do you have any family or friends south of the border? I am lucky cause I have family who can order me stuff like that!

lunademiel
02-16-2012, 02:25 PM
Have you ever heard of Pembina Parcel Service? They are a receiving company that a lot of Manitoban's use to ship stuff to in the States. For us it's only an 1 1/2 drive so we make the trip often. We like to shop in Grand Forks so we go 4 times a year and save some money having online items shipped to an American address. Although I'm not sure where you are from....

Dreamalittledream
02-17-2012, 08:55 AM
This is a great site too...and they do ship to Canada. http://www.orientaltrading. com/

Spixie33
02-17-2012, 11:40 AM
Have you ever heard of Pembina Parcel Service? They are a receiving company that a lot of Manitoban's use to ship stuff to in the States. For us it's only an 1 1/2 drive so we make the trip often. We like to shop in Grand Forks so we go 4 times a year and save some money having online items shipped to an American address. Although I'm not sure where you are from....

I am in Ontario but I looked up their website and that looks like a great service.

They do have freight forwarders in the US that will forward shipments to canada but they are around 50 dollars for a 3 lb shipment which is pretty pricey and more than the merchandise I want.
Pembina seems like a steal at $5 a parcel but driving to there would take me days -lol

Cadillac
02-17-2012, 12:56 PM
Shoot guys!!! Where have you been all my lives? I've been relying on walmart and dollarama waaaaaaaay too long. I'm going to be spending a little money on this oriental trading site today. :woot:

Dreamalittledream
02-17-2012, 01:10 PM
Shoot guys!!! Where have you been all my lives? I've been relying on walmart and dollarama waaaaaaaay too long. I'm going to be spending a little money on this oriental trading site today. :woot:

It's awesome!!!

little rascals
02-17-2012, 02:49 PM
do you have to pay duties fees on that site??

Spixie33
02-17-2012, 05:06 PM
I have ordered from Barnes and Noble in the US and also from platesplus4kids.com and I haven't had to pay duty.

I think Discount school supply could make good money of they would sell the canadian daycares :( They have tons of great craft stuff for cheap and learning resources too

Cadillac
02-17-2012, 10:19 PM
So, I went on this orientaltrading site. ordered $150 worth of stuff. They said 3-5 day shipping was $22.99. then I continued to process the order and this shipping suddenly jumped to $60!!!!!! so disappointed!!!!!! Didn't buy anything

Dawn Kumm
03-21-2012, 11:45 AM
I am opening a new daycare shortly and need to buy tables and chairs for two playrooms. Can anyone suggest a good, reasonably priced source? I am in Calgary.

bright sparks
06-04-2012, 12:16 PM
Spixie.... Whereabouts in Ontario are you? Theres a company called US Address in Niagara Falls New York who I have used for years where you can have items delivered to for a very small charge. The first week is $5 and $1 per week thereafter unless it is an item which weighs an obscene amount. I live 20 minutes from the border and drive over all the time and that way I save on the additinal shipping into Canada. Canada Revenue has just increased the daily limit for tax free items coming in which is also handy, but I have only ever had to pay tax on a couple of things and I factor this money in when I work out whether it will end up being cheaper if I buy it from the US vs Canada Feel free to message me for more info :)

Spixie33
06-04-2012, 08:48 PM
Spixie.... Whereabouts in Ontario are you? Theres a company called US Address in Niagara Falls New York who I have used for years where you can have items delivered to for a very small charge. The first week is $5 and $1 per week thereafter unless it is an item which weighs an obscene amount. I live 20 minutes from the border and drive over all the time and that way I save on the additinal shipping into Canada. Canada Revenue has just increased the daily limit for tax free items coming in which is also handy, but I have only ever had to pay tax on a couple of things and I factor this money in when I work out whether it will end up being cheaper if I buy it from the US vs Canada Feel free to message me for more info :)

I am going to message you for more details. I was getting worried I would have to move to get a cheap depot like in SK and MB. lol