PDA

View Full Version : Parent(s) Review/Feedback

Beulahland
03-27-2015, 02:59 PM
Hello Everyone, I joined the forum yesterday, after many months of reading and learning a lot from many of you. I live in Edmonton with my husband and three kids - 2 sons 17 and 12 and an eight year old daughter. I started operating a day home last October when our daughter started G2. I have had one child for 6 months now and would like to get some feedback from the parents as to how they have found my services so far. Is that something any of you have done before and is there any format anyone can recommend? Thanks

kindertime
03-27-2015, 04:38 PM
Since you have only had 1 child, writing a formal questionaire might be a bit over the top, but if you have a good relationship with the family, just tell them that you are open to feedback. Maybe mention it as they are leaving one day and ask them to think it over.

I don't do this myself. My personal philosophy is to never ask questions I don't want the answers to. If they like me and my program, they will stay and if they don't they will leave.

If the parents come back to you with something you don't like, what will you do? So, if they say, you charge too much, or you don't do enough crafts, or too much time outside, whatever. If it's something you aren't willing to change, then you are now in a position to deny the request that you asked for.

Sorry, I tend to think of what might go wrong in any situation. If you do ask, let us know how it goes.

Fun&care
03-27-2015, 07:06 PM
I think that it's really up to the parents to let you know if they have something they would like improved etc about your daycare. Like the previous poster said they might come back with a laundry list of demands and then what?

I think it's safe to assume that if they are still with you and don't complain too much then there is nothing to worry about.

If you need them as a reference, then just ask them flat out if they would be ok with that.

torontokids
03-27-2015, 10:03 PM
I agree with the above posters. I was going to send out a survey to my DCP then thought better of it when I realized they may have issues with aspects of my program that I have no interest in changing. This is very contradictory to my previous role as a therapist where I was always seeking feedback from clients but that was part of my job. What I did find helpful was asking for a reference to put on my website. They all sent it via email and it was so great to receive.

I do have one family that has done "6 month check in's" that were a bit odd. They send me a very nice email letting me know what they are happy with etc but it feels a little like a performance evaluation which is weird because they are not my boss! It has always been positive though so I won't complain!

Lee-Bee
03-27-2015, 11:20 PM
I agree with the others. It leaves it open for expectations you are not willing to meet. It's giving them control to change things.

If you really feel the need to touch base in this manner I would ask something along the lines of list the top 3 things you like about my daycare and list the 3 things you like least. Then you can get a sense of what they do and don't like but with it being less open for them to make a list of demands/changes.

Suzie_Homemaker
03-28-2015, 10:12 AM
I think it's a bit formal and like others, it set expectation that changes will be made based on feedback. I not think you really want that but I think you just want confirm from parent that they happy.

Just do that casually at pick up or drop off. Tell parent that you think she's adapted well to dayhome and settled quickly and then ask how they feel it's going. I think you want feed back on their view about how well their child adjusting more so than service itself.

playfelt
03-29-2015, 01:51 PM
I have never done anything formal in terms of polling the parents other than basic conversation. If the family isn't happy with you they will move somewhere else. At the same time unless you are willing to open yourself up to having to change what you do what is the point in asking. If parents say I wish you served breakfast at no additional cost, or offered in house piano lessons or took the kids to swimming lessons regularly - would you change and do that. If not way ask.

Beulahland
03-30-2015, 02:36 PM
Thank you all for the insightful feedback. I have taken into consideration all that has been posted and do recognize that I will be opening up an avenue for receiving a list of items I am either unwilling or unable to implement. But I am willing to take a chance, because being new to this vocation, I am open to feedback from the parents I serve, so I can improve where I can. I bear in mind that there is no caregiver or caregiving location with perfect circumstances for all their clients all the time.

After further consideration, I have decided to wait until end of July to give all parents at the same time, instead of the 6 month mark for each child. I take a summer break in August; I will use that time to review my feedback and make any necessary adjustments. I will update the forum about how it went - it may be the first of many or the first and last.

babydom
03-30-2015, 03:30 PM
Just make sure ur clear that ur doing this to get feedback and learn where you can grow more but not all suggestions may not be possible to make/change. The parents might expect the change if they are asked what do they want changed. Good luck!

playfelt
03-30-2015, 04:20 PM
Unlike feedback from an evaluation by your peers say at a centre or in a school remember that your parents won't be privy to very much that goes on so your questions and what they are able to respond to may be very limited. At the same time this could be a good time to ask questions moving forward since you interviewed them when they had a baby now the child is older and doing different things and a good way to be sure you and the parents are on the same page - ask them about the child on the weekends - naptimes, favourite foods, food dislikes, etc.

Beulahland
03-31-2015, 11:28 AM
Thank you Playfelt and Babydom, I appreciate your useful suggestions and will incorporate them in due time.