PDA

View Full Version : April Fool's Day/ Easter!!

5 Little Monkeys
04-01-2015, 01:44 PM
Hope everyone is having a nice week! We've been having some great weather so far and it's been so nice to get outside 2x a day this week. It's also been a busy one with Easter and a bit of April Fool's Day fun and I was wondering what everyone else has done for these holidays??

For Easter, we have dyed eggs, tattooed eggs, put stickers on eggs and coloured on them when still warm. They are being sent home today in their baskets that we made from egg cartons and tissue paper. We've also used a painted potato masher to make egg stamps and did marble art painting to decorate easter bunny shapes on construction paper. Tomorrow we are gonna finish off Easter week with decorating sugar cookies and I'm sending home a treat bag...an I spy book, 2 chocolate treats and an egg filled with candy and stickers. I didn't plan anything special for lunch but I'm thinking I may use our Easter themed cookie cutters to make sandwiches.

For today, April Fool's, I told them that if they finished their lunch they would get a special treat...juice! They were so excited and I gave them their cup...it was actually just jello with a straw in it:p They told me that tricks were rude and not nice but happily ate it up lol.

daycaremom9
04-01-2015, 03:30 PM
In the entry to the daycare ,I placed the clock and calendar upside down as well as the Easter window clings. I also put paper towels in the bottom of the children's boots. For snack this morning I flattened out a layer of vanilla yogurt and put a half a peach in the middle to look like a fried egg. You should have heard them this morning when they thought they were having a fried egg for breakfast/snack!lol.
Then we had a "grilled cheese sandwich" for a treat (2 pieces of pound cake with orange icing in the middle. Of course there were a couple of kids that refused to even take one bite.

kindertime
04-01-2015, 03:54 PM
In the entry to the daycare ,I placed the clock and calendar upside down as well as the Easter window clings. I also put paper towels in the bottom of the children's boots. For snack this morning I flattened out a layer of vanilla yogurt and put a half a peach in the middle to look like a fried egg. You should have heard them this morning when they thought they were having a fried egg for breakfast/snack!lol.
Then we had a "grilled cheese sandwich" for a treat (2 pieces of pound cake with orange icing in the middle. Of course there were a couple of kids that refused to even take one bite.

Refused cake??!! Who are these mythical children? lol But actually, these are great ideas. I never thought of doing anything for April fools. Daycare is only open today and tomorrow this week so we're focusing on Easter stuff. We'll have our egg hunt tomorrow.

superfun
04-01-2015, 04:53 PM
We had an egg hunt today, it's the only day this week I had enough children. :)

kindertime
04-01-2015, 05:11 PM
Is everyone sick there too? All of mine have sniffles, coughs and runny noses and I had a sore throat Mon and Tues. Yucky!

5 Little Monkeys
04-01-2015, 05:55 PM

Love it...a fellow pinterester!! Lol. I was going to do the peach and yogurt egg thing but forgot to buy canned peaches! My kids love fried eggs so I think they would have thought it was funny.

bright sparks
04-01-2015, 08:23 PM
I can hardly manage a craft, sensory play or malleable play as a group this winter/early spring time with my current group. It's hard enough having them play together in free play as a group when they are coughing and sneezing all over each other almost constantly since September. Tomorrow I have some activities set up but I am having to force myself to be optimistic because it's no fun for anyone stood around the table to have their neighbour sneeze on the painting or in their glue!!

I have yellow cups to make chicks and blue cups to make bunnies and once they have stuck the "bits" on them they are going to fill them with easter grass. Then I'm going to do an egg hunt in the playroom and tell them to put the eggs in their "cups" as they collect them and then they can take them home. I also have plastic coloured eggs to fill with rice and dried beans to make egg shakers and I am going to see if we can manage some potato painting of easter eggs lol

Fingers crossed!!

5 Little Monkeys
04-01-2015, 10:06 PM
I've had groups like that where those activity times were kept to 5-10 mins, if that!! Lol. Mine are all mouthers (even the 3yo's, drives me crazy!) and we are all sneezed and boogied on daily...I think it's building our immunities haha....no one has been sick enough to warrant staying home lately though.

That all sounds fun bright!! If you have plastic spoons and decorative tape (even clear packing tape would work) you can make moroccas with your rice/bean filled eggs! Is the potato idea to make stamps? That will be cool!

bright sparks
04-02-2015, 05:06 AM
I've had groups like that where those activity times were kept to 5-10 mins, if that!! Lol. Mine are all mouthers (even the 3yo's, drives me crazy!) and we are all sneezed and boogied on daily...I think it's building our immunities haha....no one has been sick enough to warrant staying home lately though.

That all sounds fun bright!! If you have plastic spoons and decorative tape (even clear packing tape would work) you can make moroccas with your rice/bean filled eggs! Is the potato idea to make stamps? That will be cool!

How would I turn the egg shakers into meraccas with the spoons?

kindertime
04-02-2015, 05:21 AM
I have yellow cups to make chicks and blue cups to make bunnies and once they have stuck the "bits" on them they are going to fill them with easter grass.

Fingers crossed!!

:ohmy::no::crying:AH H! Easter grass!! I bought some this year. And it almost made me cry!! I was taking it out of the package, the night before so I could cut it into smaller pieces for the kids to glue it into the egg carton cups we'd painted. And it was SOOO staticky. I mean it was sticking to my hands, the scissors, the counter, my clothes, the floor. I couldn't get it off me. I was so frustrated with it, I didn't know what to do with it. I couldn't wash it off, didn't want it down the sink. Finally had to get the whole mess wet with a lot of paper towels and wipe it up. I am still finding bits around the house. And I have vacuumed twice since then.

The stuff I bought was at NoFrills (Loblaws.)

Good luck. Happy Easter!

sandylynn
04-02-2015, 06:56 AM
Good morning....and a very HAPPY EASTER WKND TO EVERYONE....We do LOTS of crafts during holidays of every kind....Question...a nd please note....this is NOT a vent...just curious....Parent and child come in this morning...child has bag in hand....she says "I made easter cookies for everyone" ...and then proceeds to give me one of the little easter cello bags with some easter cookies in it...NICE! I say "Thank you sooo much for thinking of me and making me some cookies"....Parent...."Oh...ummmm....she didn't make a bag for you"....sorry....Then she looks at the child and says "silly....you forgot to make one for Sandy"......kid grabs back the bag ...Honestly....I would never expect the parent to think about her home daycare provider and include an extra one for her...but .SERIOUSLTY! LOL....ARE YOU LIKE FOR REAL....DID YOU JUST SAY THAT TO THIS CHILD! to get out of your mistake....Thanks for listening!!! :)

5 Little Monkeys
04-02-2015, 08:12 AM
Bright...tape your plastic egg between the 2 spoons and shake away! http://www.apartmenttherapy .com/diy-maracas-from-plastic-easter-eggsmade-171003

Sandy....oh my!! Lol. That must have been kinda awkward haha

mickyc
04-02-2015, 08:19 AM
Easter egg hunt this morning. Now the girls are taking turns hiding them.

Colored eggs this morning and of course the blue dye got spilled.. Sigh.... Lo

5 Little Monkeys
04-02-2015, 09:17 AM
Oh no!! Hopefully it doesn't stain!

I've got a sinus headache this morning so they are watching bunny cartoons for a bit while I finish my tea. I have a child leaving after lunch so my plan is to decorate the cookies this morning so she can take hers home and than I'm going to hide their treat bags for them to find. I think I'll just send them home unopened though. Going to have Easter theme shaped sandwiches for lunch and I think I'm going to do the morracas too. I also want to go for a walk as well. I better get my butt in gear....ugh, so don't feel like it though!! Lol

Happy Easter everyone!!

superfun
04-02-2015, 01:03 PM
I don't have any kids today, so I'm happy to stay inside and avoid the weather. Did you end up going outside today?

mickyc
04-02-2015, 01:12 PM
We went out. After 20 minutes we came in.

torontokids
04-02-2015, 01:17 PM
We went out. After 20 minutes we came in.

What's the weather like for you guys today?

5 Little Monkeys
04-02-2015, 01:20 PM
I don't have any kids today, so I'm happy to stay inside and avoid the weather. Did you end up going outside today?

No, ran out of time and than this crappy weather started :( We made morocca's, coloured bunny glasses, did an easter egg hunt and decorated cookies for afternoon snack. At 1215 my 3 yo dcb asked to go to bed lol. I doubt we will bother going outside today. My headache is almost gone so it suits me just fine. I am so ready for a long weekend but it's a busy one so I doubt I will get any rest lol

Lucky you! Another reason I want to cater to teacher's kids!! Enjoy your day off :)

superfun
04-02-2015, 07:14 PM
What's the weather like for you guys today?

It was yucky. Really really windy, and it snowed a fair bit too. So even though all our snow was melted, my yard is covered again.