PDA

View Full Version : Question Regarding Paid vacations

Mrsrooster
04-02-2015, 01:11 PM
Hello,

I have a question regarding paid vacations. Our home daycare provider has requested to be paid for all stat holidays as well as two weeks of paid vacation per year. I would like to hear other people's opinions on this matter. Please note that we have not yet been provided with a written contract.

5 Little Monkeys
04-02-2015, 01:24 PM
It will totally depend on what the contract states. Some providers ask for paid holidays and some don't. If you are not comfortable paying for her holidays than I suggest looking for another provider instead of asking her to change her policies.

For myself, I charge a decreased fee on STATS ($10 less) and am closed. For holidays, it is unpaid. Most self employed people do not get paid holidays but again, it's all about what the contract states.

CrazyEight
04-02-2015, 02:02 PM
It depends on your area, too. Around here, I don't know of any providers that get paid holidays. In pricier cities/areas, it can become the norm.

I do get paid for all stats though, as do all the providers I know. Paid stats are pretty standard; paid vacation isn't usually, but it can be.

My contract states I get 2 weeks unpaid, and I have to give at least a months' notice to clients before I take my vacation, which is usually in the summer every year.

babydom
04-02-2015, 02:09 PM
In my area I get paid for all stats and gov holidays, plus 3 wks vacation. Two,wks in the summer and one wk between Christmas and new yrs. my sick days are unpaid. Ur best bet would be to email other providers in your area and ask. You will then see the norm for your area.

mickyc
04-02-2015, 02:16 PM
I agree with the others. Check around and see what the norm is in your area.

If you are not willing to pay then look elsewhere but do not ask her to change it just for you. Also if you do decide to go with other provider think hard about doing that to your child. It is a big adjustment for kids who get pulled from daycare to daycare just because "the grass is greener on the other side".

For myself I get paid full rate on all stats but I do not charge for vacation days I close. Not something too common in my area.

Suzie_Homemaker
04-02-2015, 02:21 PM
Hello,

I have a question regarding paid vacations. Our home daycare provider has requested to be paid for all stat holidays as well as two weeks of paid vacation per year. I would like to hear other people's opinions on this matter. Please note that we have not yet been provided with a written contract.

Dayhome provider are self-employed. We not protected by labour standards ensuring we get min wage or stat days or sick pay or any other protection. All we have, is our contracts. Some of us have paid stat and paid vacation. Considering we earn (after business expense) about $3 an hour, it a small perk if we include it.

I have all stat and public holiday closed plus 2 week paid vacation. But I have no health insurance from work - that cost me $303 a month, I have no pension, I have no sick days, etc. If parent have an issue with me being able to have a day off, then they not a client I want.

When I opened, I did not have paid stat or paid vacation. This common mistake for newbie. I ended up working for several years with no day off because I not afford my mortgage or bills if unpaid for the day.

You do understand that if parent not paying for these, we still have same bills but reduced income? And you do understand that on min wage, we struggle if a vacancy sit for long time? And you do understand that it's not big money even if full?

My daycare kids get all day of care for $35.00 meals, milk, snack, toys, insurance, CPR and first aid, police check, all day heating in Winter, all day heating in Summer, endless love and support for parent.

If parent resented the 10 x $35.00 for annual vacation, I would not want them. It's less than $2 a day.

Written contract is preferable but if one not exist, verbal agreement is what works. Might be unfair comment but that one line at the end makes me think you are about to nickle and dime your carer and plead innocent because you didn't have it in writing, even though up to now, you've been perfectly fine with verbal agreement.

Your provider is the person loving your child all day long. They spend more time with your child than own family. If you are about to dispute her this Easter pay, think how much she gives before you put her in a situation where her mortgage isn't covered.

Mrsrooster
04-02-2015, 02:33 PM
Thank you for all your replies.

5 Little Monkeys
04-02-2015, 03:03 PM
In regard to Suzie's post....I don't necessarily think that not charging for vacation is a newbie's mistake, it is just how we think a business should be ran. I knew full well when I opened my hdc that I would be no longer getting paid vacation and sick days. I took that into account when I decided on my daily fee.

Suzie_Homemaker
04-02-2015, 05:32 PM
In regard to Suzie's post....I don't necessarily think that not charging for vacation is a newbie's mistake, it is just how we think a business should be ran. I knew full well when I opened my hdc that I would be no longer getting paid vacation and sick days. I took that into account when I decided on my daily fee.

That fair comment. Here, lot of people not think to have paid days when opening and yet don't increase rate to cover unpaid day off. Locally, day care provider who not charge is newbie and then in second year, they add paid days.

Busy ECE mommy
04-03-2015, 10:55 AM
I get paid for all of my stats and 2 weeks vacation time, but my area(Halton) supports that.

5 Little Monkeys
04-03-2015, 04:40 PM
That fair comment. Here, lot of people not think to have paid days when opening and yet don't increase rate to cover unpaid day off. Locally, day care provider who not charge is newbie and then in second year, they add paid days.

IMO....raising daily rates should be because the cost of living increases yearly. Yes, I also consider my holidays when deciding a daily fee but I wouldn't increase JUST for that fact alone. Opening a hdc was MY choice and I knew it would be hard work and long stretches without days off because I am the sole employee/employer and I have families depending on me. If I want to take holidays I think it should be if I can afford them. I don't expect parents to pay for my holidays, especially when many parents don't even get paid holidays themselves. If I can't afford days off that is on me, not the parents. Being self employed comes with different pros and cons but I don't think paid holidays is something to expect. That has nothing to do with being a newbie or not, it's all about how I think the service/self employed industries work. I can't think of any other service that gets paid if the service isn't being offered.

However, it really is all about what is in the provider's contract. If a provider can find parents who agree to pay for their holidays than great!! But I don't think it has anything to do with how long the provider has been in business :)

33 Daiseys
04-03-2015, 05:41 PM
I have 10 paid holidays, 10 unpaid, 10 paid sick days, and 10 unpaid. That's the norm around here though.

sandylynn
04-03-2015, 06:28 PM
My area doesn't support paid vacation or sick days...heck....you are lucky if you even get a BOTTLE OF USED SELF SUNTANNING LOTION FOR CHRISTMAS! That's a bonus! LOLOLOLOL...."not that there's anything wrong with that"

sandylynn
04-03-2015, 06:56 PM
33 Daiseys....that's AMAZING...I think I should pack up and sell my house and move to your neighborhood....wher e do you live?

33 Daiseys
04-03-2015, 09:02 PM
ottawa, ont. I have never had a family that looked at my contract with a second glance. All of my parents have sick days, vaccay days ect, so why shouldn't I. Honestly they know that the only time i get sick is when their littles make me sick. I also don't abuse it. And they know that:)

Mrsrooster
04-07-2015, 12:03 PM
Again thank you for the replies. I do appreciate all the comments. Essentially, it is up to the provider and the parents to agree on the terms.

Suzie_Homemaker
04-08-2015, 10:58 AM
Again thank you for the replies. I do appreciate all the comments. Essentially, it is up to the provider and the parents to agree on the terms.

Yes. Just like any other self-employed person - plumber, electrician, anyone who has a contract exchanging services for fees. If you don't want to pay the fees, then don't enter into an agreement, if you have already, then both parties are legally bound by it.