PDA

View Full Version : How long did you wait to announce your pregnancy to parents?

JHolkemama
10-31-2011, 11:31 AM
Hey ladies,

The hubby and I have recently found out we are expecting #3. He wants me to be honest and tell my dcp right away, but I am a little hesitant. I was thinking of waiting until after Christmas, as I am only 6 weeks right now.

How did you find your parents reacted? I am only planning on taking 2 weeks (my 2 weeks summer holiday I would be taking anyway), and my hubby will be taking parental leave to help. I am nervous of parents pulling their kids right away, so they dont have to deal with doctors appointments, etc. I am hoping they are supportive and understanding :) What have your experiences been like?

Nifer
10-31-2011, 12:37 PM
Hello, Congrats!

I am 9 weeks myself. I have only told 2 out of the four parents so far and only because they both knew we were trying and were asking if I was yet.

Now that I know what are plans are(same as yours, 2 wks vacay, husband is taking pat leave) I plan on telling the other two.

The one I would have no problem if she pulls, as her son is only before school and is usually the cause of any issues I have with the others not listening.
Now the other mother I really hope to keep. she's wonderful as is her son-of course they've only been with me for 3 weeks. But I hope that they stay with me until he goes to school in a couple years.

I plan on going to my midwife appts during nap time, as then the children won't be affected by me not being there.

I should think that in both our cases, the parents would have no problems we are only taking our reg vacation time off.

Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy, birth and your daycare! :D

TurbofitMom
10-31-2011, 01:07 PM
First of all congrats!!! I am currently 25 weeks pregnant. I told my parents pretty early on. I am not really taking any time off except for when I am in hospital and hubby might take parental we haven't fully decided on that yet. I go to all my appointments during nap times and I have a back up ready in case I go into labor during working hours. The only issue I am finding is that I have open spaces that I really do need filled and any interviews I do parents look at my belly and pretty well have their decision made already. I am hoping that they realize that it really isn't any different than if I were to take on a little one that wasn't my own and that I am capable of looking after more than just a newborn,because financially its hard when u need the clients and you can't really get them.

playfelt
10-31-2011, 01:14 PM
Before telling your parents have your plans in place. It is the not knowing and imagining the worst that sends parents running. The fact your daycare will run with hubby home is important. If you are due before summer make sure to tell your parents in early January though as some companies ask employees to book holidays starting then which means some may want to book off for the same two weeks you are taking. Alternately plan to hire a university student for either May or June so that there is an adult in the house at all time should you and hubby need to skip out early to go to the hospital. This provides continuity for the daycare. If a parent does leave realize that it isn't about the pregnancy it is just them looking for an excuse to move on so let them and don't fret about them. As far as appointments go as much as possible make them afternoon or late in the day so parents can pick up early if they want and where possible hire someone to come to watch the kids when you can't so again the parents have continuity of care.

Daycare123
10-31-2011, 01:40 PM
When I told my daycare parents at about 12 weeks, the reactions were mixed...some were incredibly excited and supportive and others felt I should have told them immediately (which I thought I did!). I too will only be closing the daycare for two weeks-and will have my husband to help for a bit as he will be taking a short parental leave. What I have learned is that there is nothing you can do-parents are going to do whatever they feel is best for them. I do think it is best to know your plan, but even then be prepared that some families may withdraw their child from care. Best thing to do is just be honest and upfront...this is after all a lovely time for you and your family, congratulations!

lilac
10-31-2011, 03:45 PM
I'm 29 weeks now, told my parents around 9 or 10 weeks, I think. I did lose 1 family but they hadnt started with me yet. My other families were excited and supportive.

Nifer
11-02-2011, 06:24 PM
I have the same fear-belly scaring away potential clients. I need one spot filled now, and will need to fill a spot come next fall.