PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever cared for a child you just plain out don't like?

Skysue
11-01-2011, 06:19 PM
Just curious if this has been the case for anyone?

Spixie33
11-01-2011, 07:19 PM
Not necessarily that I didn't like a particular child but there was a child who seemed to frustrate/annoy me to an extent with how noisy, over active, clumbsy and drooly they were. There were also a ton of nap issues. Every day where this child was in my care - I would feel that heavy, sinking feeling about the day ahead and prayed for patience.

I do believe I have to love all the dck in order to do what I do and take good care of the kids so I did still give lots of hugs and kindness and patience even when I was cringing on the inside at times :o

The parents were really nice so I didn't want to terminate and the child did not mean to be as they were. The child was actually very cute and happy-spirited for the most part. But I was hoping the mom would find some reason she didn't need me anymore...even a pregnancy and telling me she was going on maternity leave was like a beacon from above.:o

Never underestimate how cringeworthy someone who is drooling all over your tablecloth and plate, toys, floors, carpet and themselves can be all day long.:no: I mean...how do you stop drooling? I know it sounds bad...but it was not a pretty situation

Judy Trickett
11-02-2011, 06:28 AM
YES!

And I don't feel bad saying that. We are PEOPLE and we just don't all get along. It's life. There is a reason we have best friends - because we inherently like some people more than others!

It's life. You can't like everyone all the time.

momof4inpink
05-23-2012, 11:52 AM
I am in this situation as we speak. I have had a 17mth girl in my care for 6mths part time. There is a 5 day gap in between care. I kept thinking that her character would change over time, but it has not. She had been very aggresive over toys, other children, almost bully like:no:. I have been wanting to terminate this client for months, but always trying to find the positive on things and praying her character would improve. My husband has witnessed her behaviour and agrees with me. Her parents as well are very kind and nice, and I have expressed my feeling towards her aggresive behavior, they sheepishly agree. I feel that if she was fulltime, I may have a better chance with her. However the mom has no disire to go fulltime. I have decided to terminate come fall, and only accept fulltime clients going forward. Could it be single child syndrome? or new parents that allow no boundries?:blink:

Momof4
05-23-2012, 04:11 PM
No, all the children I've had in care have been single children in their families and that's no excuse. There is good parenting, which means rules, routines and discipline and consequences or rewards for bad or good actions. Then there is bad parenting and if the parents aren't working to solve the problems do not beat your head against the wall. My clients know from the interview phase onward that we work together or it won't work. Talk to the parents about all the issues and get them on board so the child has consistency at home and at daycare.