PDA

View Full Version : Do u ride public transit with ur kids?

babydom
04-19-2015, 09:00 PM
Come fall I will have two days with just two kids. I don't feel comfortable driving with them as I don't want the liability and worry about safety. But with just two it be nice to go to a different playgroup or to the mall pet store etc. I can hop a bus easily by my house for a 5/10min ride to chapters book store, a playgroup or the mall. Obviously I'd ask parents. But Just wondered if anyone else used the bus with their kids and do u use a stroller? Double stroller to big I guess???? Thanks!

3rdtimesacharm
04-20-2015, 07:52 AM
I used to take bus outings with 5 kids and the help of my husband. The bus was always nearly empty and it was a 5-10 min ride to a new park and they loved it. Have yet to try a double stroller but we brought a jogging stroller and it fit just fine. Don't think a double wld fit unless u folded it up. In my city kids under 5 or so are free so it just cost us a $2.25 for my hubby and myself. Great experience for the kids imo!

bright sparks
04-20-2015, 07:57 AM
Bus rides are super exciting for kids!!! But that being said, I would sooner take the kids in my vehicle if it was just a question of liability and risk. In my care, I know the service history, the condition of my brakes and tires and the kids are in car seats. On a public bus, the servicing is sketchy at best given that the ministry allows public transit to be exempt from many of the laws car and truck users are subjected too. And then there is the fact that there are no seatbelts either!!! If this is about what is safer, a vehicle with car seats wins out tenfold, but if it's just a question of getting from A to B and what's most fun, the bus is such a fun time for little ones.

5 Little Monkeys
04-20-2015, 08:30 AM
I've been considering it but I have actually NEVER rode public transit ever so I am a bit hesitant. Bus drivers can sometimes be a bit crazy of a driver lol. At least in my own vehicle, I am more in charge AND the kids are buckled up. It is something that I'd like to do though for when I have more than 2-3 kids as I don't have the room in my vehicle.

LauraLou
04-20-2015, 11:06 AM
I use public transit with my daycare kids. I normally have 3 during the day and 2 after school, and all 5 during the summer. We've used the bus to go to play groups, the library, and even the splash pad in the summer! With just the 3, I use a double stroller, and the oldest walks. Bus drivers are accommodating, especially during quiet day times, and allow me to park and apply the brakes on my stroller and help my walking child get seated. The driver lowers the step for the stroller, making it easier to board. I've occasionally had grumpy drivers, but most often they are quite friendly. When I have all 5, I use the double stroller for the youngest of the group, and my 2 school aged kids love to help the preschooler get seated while I park the stroller and apply the brakes. Again, the drivers usually wait until the kids are seated and I give the go ahead. If it's a question of safety, buses do receive appropriate servicing as needed. I've once been in a collision involving a bus and a car. The bus I was on was turning, and a car refused to yield or slow down, resulting in the car being pushed onto grass (no injuries). In a collision of bus and personal vehicles, the sheer size of the bus gives the safety advantage, we barely even felt the collision. I don't drive and have always used public transit with my own children, so I'm accustomed to using public transit with kids.

bright sparks
04-20-2015, 12:29 PM
If it's a question of safety, buses do receive appropriate servicing as needed. I've once been in a collision involving a bus and a car. The bus I was on was turning, and a car refused to yield or slow down, resulting in the car being pushed onto grass (no injuries). In a collision of bus and personal vehicles, the sheer size of the bus gives the safety advantage, we barely even felt the collision. I don't drive and have always used public transit with my own children, so I'm accustomed to using public transit with kids.

Just an FYI....In all likelihood I probably know more than most about the subject of safety and public transit as its my husbands industry. Contrary to belief, they are not as safe as you would expect. My husband works for the manufacturer of all public transit buses from Niagara Falls to Peterbrough and within the service department and deals with chronic problems on a daily basis. They do not have to be as rigorously serviced as cars and trucks do. My husband also has worked for many years within the industry in the UK so has a comparable framework to go off. For example, public buses do not even require emissions testing EVER!! Sometimes ignorance is bliss. I bused with my kids for years when they were little because I couldn't afford a car. I'm just not a huge fan of taking very small kids on public transportation if I have an alternative option to strap them in a much safer option.

Fun&care
04-20-2015, 12:37 PM
I think as a provider it's great to get out with the kids if you are brave enough, but I have to say that I would be the type of parent who is not a big fan of my small children leaving the daycare property, especially in a motorized vehicle. That's just me though, but I've had parents come to me before because they felt their provider took the kids in the car more often than they were comfortable with, so I would check and double check that your clients are 100% on board with this.

5 Little Monkeys
04-20-2015, 03:27 PM
I agree to check with your parents first before you look into any kind of transportation.

I have always had parents who really like and appreciate that I take their kids out however, I haven't brought up public transit with them yet.

Lee-Bee
04-20-2015, 07:29 PM
During interviews I found parents were either all for or against leaving daycare property so this is important to keep in mind if you are changing how you do things (some parents may leave).

When I had 5 kids the parents were all very happy that I stayed onsite. They all noted this in interviews.

I now only have 2 kids and we drive to playgroup and other outings, the parent provided a car seat and I am overly car seat safety conscious.

I am about to start taking the bus to the library for story time now that the weather is nice. But, I only have 2 kids, and both are behaved enough for this type of outing. It is after he morning rush hour so the buses are more empty than full. I wouldn't do this with 5 young kids as it would be tricky to seat them all quickly on a moving bus (especially if the bus is full).

33 Daiseys
04-22-2015, 03:16 PM
we take the city bus (ottawa) three days a week, every week. we go to play group, story time and outings every friday. i have 2 in a double stroller, and three walkers. during march break and summer i also have my 2 kids 6 and 9. never had a problem, except for rude old ladies:)

kassiemom
04-28-2015, 11:26 AM
I used to do summer/winter camps with 5-8 year olds and with my co-worker we would take 8-16 kids on the bus all the time. it was a great experience for them and a good life lesson. with the younger ones i have done the city bus once and it was not easy with a triple stroller, nobody helped me and i was stuck with it in the middle... luckily it was only a couple stops... a double may be okay if its one of those low rider busses...