PDA

View Full Version : Bed bugs policy?

SJames
02-20-2011, 09:26 PM
does anyone have a policy on bed bugs? How do you deal with a Dck having bed
bugs at home?

Emilys4Guppies
02-20-2011, 10:26 PM
Oh my. Bed bugs are getting to be an epidemic...not like lice which are easily rid of. I'm afraid that while I don't have a policy on bed bugs specifically, this might be one of those situations where I would have to let the family go, at least until the bugs are taken care of. Goes along with the 'sick policy', I guess.

Those bugs ruin lives. They are next to impossible to get out of carpet, couches and mattresses. That's bad stuff.

Play and Learn
02-21-2011, 08:52 PM
Didn't realize bed bugs were becoming such a problem again. Haven't heard anything about it in Eastern Ontario as of yet! But if this does become a problem in our area, I would definitely terminate the child from my daycare.

As Emily stated, "They are next to impossible to get out of carpet, couches and mattresses". I wouldn't want to deal with that!!!

FS2011
02-23-2011, 11:10 PM
OH MY!! wow, never want to think about this. Bed bugs, lice, yuck! Would the parent even tell you if they had these problems? Would you see them on the children? I have no experience with this.

TheBugmanPestControl
03-04-2011, 03:47 AM
Hi I have had a fair bit of experience dealing with bed bugs as a pest control technician and have helped a daycare with this exact situation. What I suggest if a family has bugs at home is that the kids have a fresh set of clothes that stay at the daycare facility and is changed immediately on arrival with the clothes coming from home being either immediately sealed in a plastic bag and stored until the parent comes for the child, then is changed back into the "home" clothes or the clothes go straight into the washer at the daycare facility and is kept for the next day's change of clothes. Also , do NOT transfer diaper bags etc from home to daycare instead keep a fresh set at both locations. Unless the infestation is quite large, lunch bags that are from the kitchen of the home should not be an issue, however as a precaution keeping the lunch bag in the fridge or picnic cooler or other form of sealed container with "slippery" insides would be a good idea. The adult bugs are visible to the human eye but they are great hiders so you may not see them unless you are looking very diligently. The Key point is to have the child arrive with as little as possible and segregate the stuff not the child. Bed bugs are a no fault pest they are found in some of the cleanest fanciest 5 star hotels around the world and as was recently pointed out by a leading Entomologist studying bed bugs, over the past 3000-4000 years, HAVING bed bugs was the norm, the last 50 years without them is abnormal so please do not judge anyone for having them !!! Two final things, First, if you have them, getting rid of them is not as hard as many would think! People are panicking because chemicals are not working and are very disruptive over weeks or months while several applications of chemicals are applied BUT temperatures over 122 degrees over a relatively short period of time will kill all stages of the Bed Bug from the eggs to the adults. There are 2 companies that I am aware of in British Columbia that use heat exclusively to eliminate Bed Bugs and both companies will give you great service! ( yes, mine is one of them :) ) Second, Educate yourself about bed bugs DO NOT let fear get the best of you, the more you know about something the better prepared you are to deal with it! A great website to learn from is www.bedbugcentral.co m the other website I recommend is the Virginia Tech University entomolgy website google search Virginia tech bed bugs to find that one easily.

FS2011
03-09-2011, 11:29 AM
Thanks Bugman! I have used your service, great info and great company!!

Tot-Time
03-09-2011, 06:17 PM
Thank you Bugman!!! I never even thought about the possibility of my daycare families bringing bedbugs into daycare but I have been worried about me travelling this summer. I will be staying in 3 different motels (Toronto, Mississuaga, and Boston), 1 up to a week in length, and I have been a little worried about bringing them home.

Ok, now I am itchy!!!!!

Emilys4Guppies
03-09-2011, 07:48 PM
Bugman, how do you heat a house to 122*?

I agree that it's nobody's fault if a family has bedbugs. However, it's not my fault either, and I'd prefer not to have the expenses of eliminating them from my home. It's very hard when your home is also your place of business. Especially when dealing with children and all the illnesses/bugs that may or may not be carried with them.

playfelt
07-15-2011, 07:58 AM
Bugman thanks, there has been talk in the news here in Ottawa recently about how the issues of bug infestations in Ottawa social housing is out of control mainly because the units are linked in such a way they move from one to the other so no measures are totally working. It's nice to have someone that knows take some of the ick factor out of bugs like lice, bedbugs, cockroaches, etc that we dont' want in our houses and know there are options to keep them at bay. On a bug note I have only seen less than a dozen earwigs this summer which is another bug that is as far as I can determine somewhat useless but fine as long as they stay out of my house.

AebischerDavid
04-25-2012, 08:47 AM
Thoroughly clean the Sheets and pillowcases: It is important to rinse the bed sheet in very hot water. Washing the evening clothing and bed-linen in very hot water could get rid of the bed bugs attaching on it. Wrapping up the bedding along with the cushions along with a zipped cover up will assist in stopping an invasion. This kind of zipped type of mattress and cushion covers can prevent the bed bugs from going in the bed mattress. If bed bugs are caught up inside this kind of covers, they'll die-off of suffocation.

Apply Diatomaceous Earth: It's actually a mineral based way to get rid of bed bugs (http://www.bedbugbitesinfo. com/) that comes in a natural powder shape. It really is created from small fossilized shells of algae or maybe sea vegetation. Its own potential to control bugs is caused by its coarse and absorbing aspect. Any time bedbugs make contact with this harsh natural powder, the protecting around their specific exoskeleton should get ruined. Usually, the bugs die-off because of lacerations. To work with that powdered ingredient, put in a little standard water on it using a paint brush for wrapping it over the breaks on the wall space. Just be sure you utilize a food-grade diatomaceous earth. Cover up your mouth by having a breathing filter and have rubber gloves with it. Additionally you can use bed bug resistant repellents available for sale.

Meimei
11-02-2015, 09:20 PM
Wow.. thanks for the info BUGMAN!!! =)