PDA

View Full Version : Help lunch time mess!

sweetness852010
11-03-2011, 01:09 PM
hello everyone

My lunch time is so stressful for me. Right now in my care are a 4yr old that is in school in the morning his brother who is 1yr a 19mo and 3 yr old. plus my own kids 4 (who is in school in the morning as well) and my 21 mo old. lunch used to be at noon in the summer time and it went well now with my son and the other four yr old that goes to school in the morning that dont get off the bus til 12:05 so by the time i get all their stuff off and prep lunch the younger ones are screaming because they are hungry! most of them arrive no earlier than 8 and 9 so it makes it really difficult to have a AM snack time when i have circle time, art etc... with them. Anyone can think of fast healthy meals that are quick to make or slowcooker meals? as i dont prepare boxed or processed food. Or make ahead meals that i can freeze? any ideas

sunnydays
11-03-2011, 01:16 PM
For one thing, I would serve a good sized snack around 10am or even 10:30 to keep them until lunch. Also, I cook my family dinner and keep the leftovers for daycare lunch the next day, so all I have to do is warm it up.

playfelt
11-03-2011, 01:59 PM
I would serve lunch in two segments. Plan on lunchtime being 11:00. That solves the no time to serve a snack although do make sure you take time to have a drink of milk or juice mid morning since grumpies are more likely to happen from thirst than hunger. Then save some of what you make for the two school age kids. After eating, go out, get the kids at the bus. When you come back in let them all have a short playtime and then consider putting the younger ones down for their naps at 12:30. Then serve lunch to the 4 year olds and join them yourself to eat. They then either go have naps or quiet time.

Hard to get if you are going out to the bus or if it is just the kids coming in the door and you have waited lunch. My idea above assumed you were going out to bus. If that isn't the case then have the meal made and the younger ones eating while the 4 year olds come in. They should be able to take their coats and shoes off and come into the kitchen themselves but even if you help it won't take long. They then come in and join the group and you have kept the food hot or made up plates you can zap quickly to warm if necessary. They will likely eat faster than the little ones anyways so they should all finish at the same time.

You might also want to rethink your curriculum for the morning - things like art and a game etc are not more important than nutrition for the under age 2 group. If they are missing snack for craft time then time to take out craft time and insert snacktime.

sweetness852010
11-03-2011, 05:57 PM
I have tried a lunch time at 11am and it was too much on me because i felt rushed i would start preping it at 1030 then have them sit for 11am(they are slow eaters) then i would have to start getting them ready around 11:20 to be out the door for 11:30 and with winter coming it might take longer i was thinking maybe if i pre cook (ie left overs or freeze meals) it might be a little better. I give the little ones there bottles roughly around 10-10:30 but they still scream and cry. so im looking for kid friendly slow cooker ideas? so i could maybe try as soon as we get in sit to eat and they get a hot meal

playfelt
11-03-2011, 10:00 PM
You could try reversing the order of the food you serve. When we have been really busy in the morning and time is running tight I have started cooking food but made up plates of fresh fruit, cheese, a couple crackers, raw veggies for those that can and chilled but cooked ones for those that can't chew well and served that with a couple ounces of water while I make the meal. It gets them started and has the advantage of upping the low sugar levels which is what causes the crankies. Then as they finish that I have the meal ready to serve but adjust the serving size to reflect food already eaten such as less starch item cause they had the crackers. You may need to go back to serving finger foods to the group and considering their age that will work. Those could be cut up and ready in the fridge - cheese, cooked veggies, cut up the fruit just before you go so it is ready to serve as soon as you get back. Personally I would probably do this in the morning and then pull them out and serve to the group anytime after 10:30. Then the little ones won't be so hungry. When everyone gets home do the usual lunch and the two older ones will be able to handle the whole meal all at once.

Any casserole type dish can be made the night before and rewarmed the following day fairly quickly. Problem with a crock pot is that you need to take the time in the morning to put it on and a lot of foods do better on slow so more than the 4 hours - better to put on your supper this way. It can be used for rewarming the food made the day before though but then so can the microwave in under 10 minutes.

For the age group you have there is really only one that should be using a bottle in the daytime. Is there a chance they are connecting the bottle with bedtime. The others could be fed food at 10:30 to fill them up and then a smaller drink - no more than 4 ounces. That will leave them with room for the meal at noon.

zen39
11-04-2011, 12:03 PM
I think Playfelt offered some great ideas. I too had the mid morning school drop off to attend with for my 4 year old, plus carrying for 4 children (two 1 year olds & 2 two year olds) last school year and it's not easy. I would serve lunch at 10:50am and then by 11:15 start getting them ready to leave. Prep time for lunch should only take 10 - 15 minutes (for me anyways)...I have most things prepared ahead of time and re-heat (pasta; casseroles). If I make french toast or scrambled eggs that may take 15 minutes.

I would also give at 9am a little snack (water and fruit/muffin/cracker etc..) They don't get fed in between snack or lunch. I wouldn't give them a bottle in between either. Actually, all my one year olds get weaned from the bottle to sippy cups and then they get those at snack and lunch. If they are thirsty in between, they only get water, no milk.

I also wouldn't worry about art and circle. You can always fit it in after naps perhaps?

Skysue
11-05-2011, 03:15 PM
hello everyone

My lunch time is so stressful for me. Right now in my care are a 4yr old that is in school in the morning his brother who is 1yr a 19mo and 3 yr old. plus my own kids 4 (who is in school in the morning as well) and my 21 mo old. lunch used to be at noon in the summer time and it went well now with my son and the other four yr old that goes to school in the morning that dont get off the bus til 12:05 so by the time i get all their stuff off and prep lunch the younger ones are screaming because they are hungry! most of them arrive no earlier than 8 and 9 so it makes it really difficult to have a AM snack time when i have circle time, art etc... with them. Anyone can think of fast healthy meals that are quick to make or slowcooker meals? as i dont prepare boxed or processed food. Or make ahead meals that i can freeze? any ideas

Have them eat veggies with dip as soon as they get back and then that will give you time to get the main protien meal ready! You may just also need to do circle time after lunch just before nap! During you ususal cirlce time have them do free play as you prep lunch!

mom-in-alberta
11-14-2011, 03:57 PM
I think you can work in a later lunch if you feel like you have to feed them all at the same time. But you will have to find a way to have a snack in the morning. Personally, I would do that over any kind of structured event. Perhaps you can move something from morning to afternoon?
When it comes to the slow-cooker, I agree that it will not necessarily help at lunch, but I love them for supper!! Perhaps just google "slow cooker recipes"? See if you can find some you like.