PDA

View Full Version : Bullying policy

sunnydays
11-04-2011, 01:29 PM
Does anyone have a specific policy on bullying in their contract or handbook? I want to add one in, but I am trying to figure out the best way of dealing with it. I want to add something that allows me to terminate due to bullying after all avenues of trying to deal with it have not worked. Any ideas?

playfelt
11-04-2011, 07:41 PM
Are you meaning from parent or child? I just use my clause that allows immediate dismissal if in my opinion the continuation of the parent or child in the daycare is detrimental to the well being of the others in care. That would apply to an aggressive child or parent. I also only care for kids under 3 so the teasing and bullying isn't really an issue amongst the kids.

sunnydays
11-04-2011, 08:04 PM
I meant from the child, but I suppose it would apply to a parent as well. I actually only have kids under three as well, but I have a child (well technically no longer as of today) who has been kicking, hitting, pushing, and screaming at the other kids for the past two months constantly. She will be 2 next month. I tried so many ways to stop it, but nothing worked. I know she is young to label it bullying, but she does it intentionally to make others cry and to get attention. That combined with other behaviour issues as well as parent issues, was why I terminated her from my care today. I just couldn't take it anymore...I was worn out and stressed. I was also worried that someone was going to get really hurt one day if she pushed someone down the stairs or they fell on a hard surface etc. She's very small, but very aggressive if anyone comes near her. This is why I was thinking of adding a specific clause to my termination policy:(

playfelt
11-04-2011, 09:43 PM
My concern with adding a specific section is that it draws attention to the it and when you interview parents of infants they are usually already concerned about all the "big kids" so to get them thinking about the possibility of a bully in the daycare it might make them run. Again the general detrimental to the group clause is subtle but effective.

mom-in-alberta
11-15-2011, 02:54 PM
I would just put that under my umbrella of "the environment not being the best" for the child.
That encompasses so much, lol!

Judy Trickett
11-15-2011, 06:34 PM
I just have it included under the Termination guidelines of my contract. Something to the effect of:

If your child is a threat to they physical, social or emotional well-being of any other child in care then services will be terminated immediately and any fees paid will not be reimbursed

Something like that.

I don't like to have entire sections that draw parents attention to a potential problem that is really non-existent. It makes them start to wonder WHY you would have to have such a policy. You know?

Personally, of all my years in daycare I have only ever ONCE had to terminate a child for bullyish behaviour toward another child.

carla
01-08-2012, 02:58 PM
in our parent package we have a zero tolerance of abuse form that is intended for our parents they are required to sign this before they start. we also have a statement is our contract that states for the first month if a child is not fitting into our daycare or if the parent is not comfortable with the care provided they can terminate care