PDA

View Full Version : Part Time Children

SnugglebearHD
06-11-2015, 06:30 PM
Hi,
My dayhome is opening up in a Month and I still have spots available to be filled. I have had parents ask my about part-time and until now I have said that I will not be taking part-time because of the difference in pay... BUT.. I was noticing that someone mentioned charging a higher daily rate for Part-time children. Is this the norm? HOw much more? I feel like they wouldn't want to pay more and would just find somewhere cheaper that does Part-time?

Thanks for the advice,

Crayola kiddies
06-11-2015, 07:32 PM
My part time is a min of three days a week (same days each week) and $5 more a day

5 Little Monkeys
06-11-2015, 07:52 PM
My only regret is that when I opened, I accepted part time. Looking back, I wish I hadn't. I have one pt client left but once they're finished, no more! It's nice to have days with less children but the cut in pay isn't a smart business move IMO.

When a pt child leaves, you have to find another family that fits that exact spot/days....too hard and not worth it

SnugglebearHD
06-12-2015, 07:49 AM
5 little monkeys... i am guessing you don't want to end their contract earlier? I have in my contract that I can terminate at any time.. but Not sure I would feel comfortable doing that without letting them know with a lot of notice.... I though it would be easier to find kids but nope.

5 Little Monkeys
06-12-2015, 08:02 AM
This family has been with me the longest. I really enjoy them and their child. I also don't feel it's fair to change the contract after we agreed to it (I do make changes but schedule and fee are 2 that I try very hard not to change unless absolute necessary). I've raised my fee by $2 but they are still at the old fee. One of the things I decided is that the fee you sign on with will not change.

On paper I have that I can change the contract as needed but in reality, it's harder to do than said. If I did decide to accept pt again, I would include in the contract that if a ft opportunity came up, they may be asked to find other care.

Van
06-12-2015, 03:21 PM
I like p/t children just because if the child is crying it give a break over the week for them to get use to daycare slowly but it is hard on our pay as 5 LM said and harder still to push them out in reality

mickyc
06-15-2015, 09:08 AM
No more part time! Kids out of the routine when not here consistently. Trying to fill other days they are not here. I only take full time now.

adaycarelady
06-15-2015, 09:28 AM
I have one part-timer and in my handbook it says their spot will be filled with a full-timer due to giving me the chance to make more of an income. But it's really hard to end the part-time contract because I really enjoy the family and the child. It's also nice to know I'll be down a kid some days. I was able to find another child for the alternate days, but the family was awful and it didn't work out. I have a minimum of 2 days charge per week and consistent days must be booked. Even if I get two part-timers to fill one spot, it would give me a full-time income because I charge more for part-time with one day off per week! I think that's fair since it's more work to find 2 part-timers. I charge about $5 more per day than I do with the full-timers.

Suzie_Homemaker
06-15-2015, 09:29 AM
I don't normally take part-time but do consider the request to drop days if parent on mat leave. If I agree to it, normally because family is good client and child is not problematic. Part-time rate is $5 more per day with a min of 3 days. Max time is 6 month.

SnugglebearHD
06-22-2015, 08:37 AM
Thanks for the replies. I have one full time booked and I open in August. Getting nervous about filling spots. I have decided no part-time because I need that extra income from the full times and with a little one of my own I don't want to be struggling with routine more than I should.