PDA

View Full Version : Holding fee

daycarelady2
06-15-2015, 02:11 PM
Hi guys,
I have a little girl who will be starting in January. But I needed the spot filled I September. I gave the mom the option to pay from September to January (my full fee because I wouldn't be able to save it for her any other way, even just having her pay a holding fee) so she and her husband talked about it and they really want to use me and are willing to pay from September to January when the daughter starts full time. They will bring her maybe one or two days a week from September to January but no more than that. So it's not really a holding fee, they're paying for a full time spot but are choosing not to use it every day.

Does anyone have experience with something like this. I have used the holding fee before but for me that's 15$ a week and no biggie. But this will be 600$ a month. What are some issues, rules, ideas I should keep in mind. Does anyone have a template form explaining something like this. I don't want that money to be transferable to any other time, nor do I want to have to give it back if they decide to go else where. But what if I decided to close or something before January. Do I still have to give that money back?

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

Suzie_Homemaker
06-15-2015, 03:15 PM
I do what you have done. If someone wants a place to sit empty for their benefit they pay for it, full rate. I think some provider here do a 50% holding fee for a max of 3 months. I not have special template or anything. I just date contract from day they begin paying for the place. They are welcome to come all 5 days if they want to since they paying for all 5 days. It not refundable, or transferable. All my client pay for their place regardless of attendance. This no different. If mom go back to work before expected Jan start, it okay for her to do anytime after September.
If you decide to close, you would have to give notice period and this client no different.That said, they might have case for refund of holding money so maybe check with lawyer.

5 Little Monkeys
06-15-2015, 07:06 PM
If I understand, they will be paying full time though right? It's just like normal IMO. If you close before January, it will be like any other family. Although, if you think you may close before than, I likely wouldn't go with this family as that doesn't seem right. Find a family who needs care now and go from there

mickyc
06-16-2015, 02:42 PM
Just treat it as any other family paying full price. They can come on any days they wish- they are paying for the spot not the days they use.

Lee-Bee
06-16-2015, 03:35 PM
I think the only thing I would do different for this family than a family with a Sept start date is add a clause to their contract where they are to give you 48hrs(or what ever you want) as to notifying you that their child will be in attendance.

As much as the space is going to theirs to be used as they desire, if it is going to be empty more often than filled it is helpful to know what days the child will attend so you can have enough food ready and art supplies etc. Though, technically if they are paying for the space they are paying for the food that would be used each day even if the child doesn't come.

daycarelady2
06-18-2015, 09:10 AM
Okay perfect thanks ladies. I definitely do not plan on closing I was just using that as an example for what situations could arise. Basically I'm treating it like a full time child. I will ask for maybe like a days notice of when they want their child to come just in case I had an appointment or so I can be prepared for what hours and numbers etc. you guys are very helpful. I really appreciate it!