PDA

View Full Version : Do you close if your own kids are sick?

mlc1982
02-21-2011, 06:19 PM
If your own child has a cold, do you close down your day home?

gcj
02-21-2011, 06:42 PM
a cold? no. I'd never be open this year! :laugh: Even ear infections, I don't anymore, since the ear infection itself isn't contagious, but the cold before was, which we're usually passed by the time the ear infection comes. I close for flus (gastros), bronchitis, just before Christmas it was strep throat with scarlet fever...those type of things. Depends of course on the contagiousness and my ability to take care of my sickie and all the others. I also give the parents the choice sometimes....since some are at home or have easy access to grandparents. If they're not comfortable, I give them the choice to find care elsewhere and don't charge, since it's not their fault. But a cold is inevitable and all kids will be around it at some point.

Emilys4Guppies
02-21-2011, 07:48 PM
Two of my children are old enough to stay in their rooms when they are sick. The other two are too young and so when they are sick I usually send them to my mother's house. She lives right down the street from us and my mom will come get them. They love it! Get pampered by grandma!

I try to only close for when I am sick. I do get migraines occasionally, so I am very stingy with my sick days so that I can use them for that.

mlc1982
02-21-2011, 08:07 PM
Thats kind of what i thought - colds, no. Worse than colds, yes.
My baby (6 mths) has a cold but has been spending a lot of time during the day sleeping. I figure if i closed for colds then id never have kids...little ones always seem to have sniffles or minor coughs of some sort.

I

Sunflower
02-21-2011, 09:20 PM
I have only closed 3 times due to illeness in my family . Last year I'm almost certain we got H1N1 . And this month I have had to shut down twice due to a major case of the stomach flu. Not fun I tell you !
I get colds all the time and stay open otherwise I would always be closed.
If my kids are too sick and I know they will require all of my attention I usually get their daddy to stay home and help out:laugh:
All the daycare moms are either stay at home moms or on mat leave so they don;t mind if I close (thank goodness!)

Emilys4Guppies
02-22-2011, 05:33 AM
OH yes, Sunflower! If forgot about that! I also make my husband stay home with our own children if they are sick too. We have a mainfloor daycare...so he chills with them in our bedroom or in the basement family room/playroom.

giraffe
02-22-2011, 01:00 PM
If my children are sick I will inform the parent then gve them the option of coming.

fruitloop
02-22-2011, 03:17 PM
If my children are sick I will inform the parent then gve them the option of coming.

This...unless they are very very sick and extremely contagious. But for the most part I will call all the parents and give them the choice...half will keep their kids home and half will still bring them.

whatdoiknow
02-23-2011, 01:25 PM
i give my parents a choice and or if my kids are too sick, I have onle closed once due to gasto

vrvasile
03-06-2011, 09:52 AM
usually i give to my boy some good pills.

Tot-Time
03-06-2011, 12:16 PM
My children are older so I don't have to close when they are ill even if it is something contagious. I have a basement daycare. The precautions I do take are my own children are no longer allowed to use shared space ie the kitchen or powder room and I also change the location of where the child naps if s/he naps on the bedroom level.

I am not sick too often, but for common colds etc, I don't take time off work. The only time I guess I would take time off work is if I had a tummy bug or not able to get out of bed. Though with that being said, just 2 weeks ago I was knocked out by bronchitis and took a day off work because I couldn't even get out of bed for 3 days. I am still not even 75% yet even with a good round of antibitotics, inhaler, and 2 weeks later :(

LisaQ
03-07-2011, 02:06 PM
Oh poor you Tot-Time! Hope you are feeling much better soon. Look after yourself.