PDA

View Full Version : Changing daycare direction

daycaremom9
11-12-2011, 02:32 PM
Hi I'm new to this forum. I am a member of another daycare forum. It's great to share ideas but my other forum has mostly American members and their licensing rules are different. I love the idea of getting the perspective of other Canadian daycares! I have been operating my family daycare for just over 5 years.

Here's my issue: I've recently changed the direction of my daycare. I was offering care for ages from 1-12 years but found that to be daunting with pick-up and drop-offs and the curriculum doesn't always work with all ages. So I sent a note home with 2 of my clients saying that I wouldn't be providing care for their out-of-schoolers but would be happy to continue on with their preschoolers. Now one of the moms tends to be confrontational and has requested a meeting with me regarding this. She had asked if I wanted to meet at her house or my house and is bringing her husband also. I tend to get intimidated face to face and am a little concerned as to how this is going to go. Any support or comments would be very welcomed. Thanks

Play and Learn
11-12-2011, 04:53 PM
Welcome daycaremom9!

Just make sure you have your responses (why you're changing) ready and prepared - write it out! Sit at the kitchen table - I'm more comfortable there - and try to stay relaxed! Have your significant other with you for support. That's all I've got right now...

playfelt
11-13-2011, 07:23 AM
I'm not sure given the circumstances that there is any reason for a meeting. Your letter made it clear to parents what was going to happen. Just let the mom know that you are no longer going to do the school runs because it has a detrimental effect on the schedule for the little ones and as of (whatever date you put here) you will only be taking children not in school. Remind the mom of your policy as to how much notice the mom needs to give if she is also going to remove her younger child from your care.

Anticipate an irate mom who will pull both with little notice and in the meantime I would be advertising with that in mind.

I only take those not in school for similar reason and do not regret it one bit. For one thing a full time preschooler pays better than wasting a space on a before and after school ager. But mostly I love the freedom my day has when we aren't tied to the clock and bus times.

The parents are coming in to bully you to continue and likely plan to use the younger child as leverage - you take them both or you lose them both. I would say my daycare, my rules, my plans, no meeting. You have the letter, do what you need to do and I will do what is best for my daycare but I am not changing my mind - it is that backbone we talk about so often that as daycare providers we have a hard time finding sometimes since we are so used to meeting everyone's needs.

daycaremom9
11-14-2011, 11:30 PM
I thank you for your support and wise words. I had the meeting with the parents and am really glad we did. It went well. The parents just wanted to understand why. Mom thought it had something to do with her son. It sounds like the younger boy will continue coming here. By the way "Play and learn" I wish I had taken your advice about staying relaxed. I worked myself up so much that I had my defenses up.

waterloo day mom
11-16-2011, 09:48 AM
I would suggest that any time you feel as though the parent might be irrate, that you arrange the meeting for a coffee shop or something similar. Having worked as a teacher and had colleagues who have been verbally and physically abused by parerents, I would strongly encourage that you have these meetings somewhere public. A coffee shop or even a local park where both of your children can play is ideal. Never meet with an angry parent alone in your home or theirs.