PDA

View Full Version : Are you affected by the new childcare rules?

Mawna
07-18-2015, 09:06 AM
Hello everyone. I was just cheking the website of the ministry of education and came accross the new unlicenced childcare changes that are effective Aug 31 , 2015 with the exception of 2 rules that come into effect on Jan 2016.
So my question now is what is going to happen to all the part time choldren in our care? Would you let them go to register full time (5 days) kids? Cause with all these new changes that your own child u der the age of 6 is counted in the ratio there not much option left.

What would you do?

BlueRose
07-18-2015, 09:46 AM
I am no longer accepting pt clients if their child is under 2. Since they will be my main income. Child 2 yrs and older can come pt (set days), since its much much harder to find older children.

I can only have 4 kids since my youngest is under 6yrs. I want to keep both my under two spots so my son will count even when I school.

playfelt
07-18-2015, 11:42 AM
Doing the same - only allowing pt for kids over age 2. I don't have any of my own kids effected by the ratios but I also don't care for school age kids so can't afford to waste the under age 2 spots unless I am being paid for a full time space.

Suzie_Homemaker
07-18-2015, 01:29 PM
Hello everyone. I was just cheking the website of the ministry of education and came accross the new unlicenced childcare changes that are effective Aug 31 , 2015 with the exception of 2 rules that come into effect on Jan 2016.
So my question now is what is going to happen to all the part time choldren in our care? Would you let them go to register full time (5 days) kids? Cause with all these new changes that your own child u der the age of 6 is counted in the ratio there not much option left.

What would you do?

Bill 10 only affect Ontario provider. Most other province already have similar restriction in place and some province count provider own children until they 12, even during school time when not home.

I think Manitoba only allowed 4 daycare children.

You have do what best for your family and base on demand in your area. Here, lot of parent work PT and only want 3-4 day care and FT very, very hard to find.

Mawna
07-20-2015, 06:53 AM
But for those like me who have a child at school, what happens over the summer when they are off from school and you have kids in your care? Im not pllaning to send my daughter to camp all summer long and she will be part of the ratio ( in that casei will be one over thr Ratio) ?

Very confusing and frustrating

babydom
07-20-2015, 06:56 AM
Yes u will be over. U either need to send ur child to a camp or caregiver or release one daycare child to make rm for your child. A good idea would be to take on a teachers child so that child will be off in the summers anyways and back in the fall

Suzie_Homemaker
07-20-2015, 07:27 AM
But for those like me who have a child at school, what happens over the summer when they are off from school and you have kids in your care? Im not pllaning to send my daughter to camp all summer long and she will be part of the ratio ( in that casei will be one over thr Ratio) ?

Very confusing and frustrating

Your child does indeed count during summer now. Two option which might be easiest. 1), Save a place for your child year round (here our own kids count until 12 years old even in school time). or 2) Try and find teacher's child who want summer off so that child away when your child home.

EDIT - I think own child count in summer even if at camp. The regs don't mention own child counting in Summer unless not home. They just say own kids count in summer, period.

playfelt
07-20-2015, 08:00 AM
Your own child will only count if they are actually in the home so if you send them to camp and they leave before last child arrives or don't get home till first child leaves you are fine. The reason they say count in the summer is because during the school year if you meet the criteria your child can be in the home on PD days, sick days, snow days, etc. without putting you over in numbers but not in the summer. By the time your families book vacation weeks and you take a vacation you may find there are only a few weeks that need to be covered and your child might enjoy going to camp vice being home with you and the kids. Other option is to release a child in June that will be leaving in Sept to start school and that mom can look for summer camps to cover off the summer so your child can use the space.

Mawna
07-21-2015, 09:34 AM
Hello all,
Now with all these new child modernization act and limitations that they are putting on home daycares , who is going to monitor and make sure everyone is following the rules? I looked on their website and could find anything in regards to that? Do we have to register anywhere? Are we going to have licencing agents come for an annual chekup just like licenced daycares?

Would appreciate your inputs

Suzie_Homemaker
07-21-2015, 09:51 AM
Hello all,
Now with all these new child modernization act and limitations that they are putting on home daycares , who is going to monitor and make sure everyone is following the rules? I looked on their website and could find anything in regards to that? Do we have to register anywhere? Are we going to have licencing agents come for an annual chekup just like licenced daycares?

Would appreciate your inputs

Mostly, I imagine the public will.

Don't underestimate how promptly a neighbor will call them. They will then come out, and fine you if caught breaking the rules. Sure, some might take the chance but with the massive fines, I doubt many will.

A parent who is annoyed, a client who was held to their contract, a potential client who came for interview, the neighbor in the play park, someone you've annoyed, other tenants if in an apartment - with the ability to report anonymously, there will be plenty of people who will turn you in. Some call will be malicious with no basis but they will investigate every call. That how they do here.

playfelt
07-21-2015, 11:08 AM
The ministry has inspectors and have said they will hire more to keep up with complaints. There will be parents, disgruntled past clients, neighbours, even other daycare providers that are following the rules that want the profession to maintain it's integrity by showing it can self regulate so will turn in offenders. It is not worth the risk. The fines are very steep and have also been increased the new bill - they have the power to close down your daycare and prevent you from reopening depending on the offence.