PDA

View Full Version : Starting up my daycare again

Ottawaroses
07-22-2015, 04:56 PM
I am located in Ottawa South. I ran a home daycare for over twelve years and closed it down seven years ago to work outside the home. I really missed working with the children so I went back to school to obtain my ECA. I have been working as a private nanny for the past five years and I am seriously considering starting up my daycare again once my contract with my current nanny family finishes (end of July).
I want to keep my daycare numbers low, perhaps two toddler spots. My only concern is how long would it take to fill my spots as I have been out of the loop for a few years. Anybody else decide to reopen a daycare after closing it down?

Suzie_Homemaker
07-23-2015, 06:37 AM
There new rules in Ontario which might affect your decision. Know you said you keep number low but the change force no more than two under two and no more than 5 total anyway.

If reopening, make sure that if you needed to increase numbers, the limits would provide enough income as too many children have big fines.

daycarelady2
07-23-2015, 12:29 PM
Hey. Check out the Bill 10 stuff but like you said you're keeping your numbers low. So it shouldn't be a problem. If it is no more than two under two you maybe can take on like a 18 mth old and a 25 month old?
Where I live in a small town Ontario spots fill fast and the demand is high. I usually (knock on wood) dont have to wait long to fill a spot. I would suggest putting up flyers/posters and ads with your info details on what daycare will be like etc and get a feel now of what your need would be! Another option is befriending another home daycare person and have them share your contact info along I she's full :)
Good luck and welcome back

Van
07-27-2015, 04:39 PM
you may have 2 children for Sept :)
good Luck

playfelt
07-27-2015, 07:20 PM
Look on the CCPRN website and the dates of the childcare connection meetings for your area and attend. That will give you a chance to meet parents looking for care, chat with other providers about how long they have had their openings and been looking, where they advertise, etc. and they should be making both parents and providers aware of the upcoming Bill 10 changes. You don't need to be a member of CCPRN to attend the childcare connection meeting but if you are starting up again it is something you might want to consider to take advantage of the resources and workshops www.ccprn.com