PDA

View Full Version : Policy in contract regarding custody arrangements

lplplp
08-03-2015, 05:27 PM
I would like to include a policy in my contract regarding separated/divorced parents (custody arrangements). Do many of you have a policy for this? Do you require a copy of the legal separation agreement? If they don't have a legal agreement, do you ask them to write something up themselves outlining their agreement? I don't want to ever get caught in the middle of a nasty separation or go against any court order. Thanks :)

betsy
08-04-2015, 06:41 AM
I would like to include a policy in my contract regarding separated/divorced parents (custody arrangements). Do many of you have a policy for this? Do you require a copy of the legal separation agreement? If they don't have a legal agreement, do you ask them to write something up themselves outlining their agreement? I don't want to ever get caught in the middle of a nasty separation or go against any court order. Thanks :)

I didn't have that specified in the old contract I used when I ran my previous daycare years ago. I've had parents separating and divorcing while they were my clients (as the care provider who'd gotten to know them as a couple, that's a sad situation to be in I tell you, especially when the divorce is nasty).
I did include in my handbook to let me know if there are any changes that might affect a child (so I may understand why a child may be having some behavioural changes/problems). One of my set of parents had involved domestic violence and cops.....and the one who got custody of the child had let me know that there was a restraining order on the spouse, etc..

I never take sides in disputes. I remain neutral, and don't make any rebukes of either parent,
and due to that the 7 year old daughter of this couple was able to express herself to me without any reservations or worries. The girl missed her dad but she cannot say it to mom without feeling being disloyal to her, or to any of her mom's relatives/friends because they end up bashing dad.
At least with me, she was able to vent out. To this day I still remember that day she suddenly burst into tears while we were having lunch, and everything she felt came tumbling out....I just hugged her.

mickyc
08-04-2015, 09:14 AM
I have in my contract that I need a copy of any separation agreement.

I have never been in this situation before luckily but I used to work in the legal field. Get a copy of the contract and follow it, keep a written diary in the child's backpack for both parents to read as they likely won't be communicating. You cannot withhold a child from a parent but in the event a child is picked up by a parent who does not have the legal right to have the child you would then immediately contact the police and other parent. This is why you must have a copy of the agreement. You can't just take one parents word as to what is happening.

Van
08-04-2015, 05:01 PM
I don't have it in my contract but if a parent told me they are separated they I would just ask for a copy of their agreement

betsy
08-04-2015, 08:02 PM
I have in my contract that I need a copy of any separation agreement.

I have never been in this situation before luckily but I used to work in the legal field. Get a copy of the contract and follow it, keep a written diary in the child's backpack for both parents to read as they likely won't be communicating. You cannot withhold a child from a parent but in the event a child is picked up by a parent who does not have the legal right to have the child you would then immediately contact the police and other parent. This is why you must have a copy of the agreement. You can't just take one parents word as to what is happening.

Thanks for explaining that.