PDA

View Full Version : Vacation in contract help

daycarelady1989
08-19-2015, 08:47 AM
I would like to put in my contract that I will have 2 week paid vacation plus 7 paid sick days. To my understanding it's against the law in Ontario so how would I word this in my contract?

Suzie_Homemaker
08-19-2015, 10:14 AM
Call them paid personal days lump together as whole.

BlueRose
08-19-2015, 10:28 AM
In your contract state that: Payment is by enrollment and does not vary due to parental vacation, or illness of the child. If the daycare is open and your child does not attend for whatever reason, or if the daycare is closed for any reason, payment is still expected in full. In other words you pay the same enrollment fee amount every two (2) weeks.

Do not say anything about vacation, stats etc. In your handbook (separate form your contract) put in this information. This way if you get audited you will not be screwing over your clients and making yourself an employee.

fivelittleones
08-19-2015, 11:12 AM
I've never charged for my personal vacation. Do many of you do this? Some parents still have to find and pay for care during my vacation, so I've never charged.

babydom
08-19-2015, 11:30 AM
Yes I charge. Three wks holidays and all stat and gov holidays. No paid sick days though. The three wks is one wk in July, one wk in sept and the wk between Christmas and new years. I don't call it holidays in my contract. I just put the daycare is closed these wks and payment is still due.

Suzie_Homemaker
08-19-2015, 11:47 AM
In your contract state that: Payment is by enrollment and does not vary due to parental vacation, or illness of the child. If the daycare is open and your child does not attend for whatever reason, or if the daycare is closed for any reason, payment is still expected in full. In other words you pay the same enrollment fee amount every two (2) weeks.

Do not say anything about vacation, stats etc. In your handbook (separate form your contract) put in this information. This way if you get audited you will not be screwing over your clients and making yourself an employee.

I think she asking about HER own paid vacation and sick, not child's.

Suzie_Homemaker
08-19-2015, 11:48 AM
I've never charged for my personal vacation. Do many of you do this? Some parents still have to find and pay for care during my vacation, so I've never charged.

I do. 10 days. I not think around here 15 days would work and sometimes parent do question 10. Not my concern if they need to find other care. Just like mortgage company not give refund if they paying for hotel during vacation time.

BlueRose
08-19-2015, 12:06 PM
I think she asking about HER own paid vacation and sick, not child's.

Yes Suzie_Homemaker I am aware of that. That is why my statement says: "or if the daycare is closed for any reason, payment is still expected in full." that covers the providers vacation time etc.

sandylynn
08-19-2015, 10:20 PM
I'm sorry...but I have to ask...where are you ladies from that people will actually pay for 2 or 3 weeks vacation for you...here in Toronto...I couldn't even take a day to bury my mother...and they all docked me...let alone take a "day of rest"....I think that's fantastic if you can get it.

Lee-Bee
08-19-2015, 10:58 PM
I'm sorry...but I have to ask...where are you ladies from that people will actually pay for 2 or 3 weeks vacation for you...here in Toronto...I couldn't even take a day to bury my mother...and they all docked me...let alone take a "day of rest"....I think that's fantastic if you can get it.

While area may have a lot to do with it...it also depends on your cliental. I had all government workers. I was getting 3 weeks paid plus a week at Christmas. No one blinked at it. They expect the same from their employer so they don't think to challenge their child's caregiver for wanting the same. I didn't charge for my sick days because I felt less guilt closing last minute when sick (it was for me, I doubt they cared). But when my grandpa died I had to up and leave town for 3 days. I didn't charge anyone for those days since it was sudden and put them out. But one family insisted on still paying because I was not benefiting from having closed. These parents realize we are humans and are doing a difficult and incredibly important job. They also realize that a simple gesture can make a world of difference and their child benefits!

There are amazing families out there that will do all they can to keep their caregiver happy. BUT it takes lots of time to find them!!

kindertime
08-20-2015, 06:11 AM
I think that's fantastic if you can get it.

I don't mean to harp on it, but you don't have a contract with your daycare parents. If you did, you could probably have paid time off too. Your current clients would not probably go for it, but new ones signing on would. I obviously don't know your area or the people who live there, but I would bet there are a lot of parents who are surprised you don't have a contract. It means there are no written rules for them to follow.

sandylynn
08-20-2015, 06:52 AM
I agree Lee-Bee...I have had some wonderful families over the years....I guess if you put it in your contract...they can either accept it or NOT! Even 1 week paid holidays and a couple of sick days would be AWESOME! I have NEVER taken a sick day in YEARS...AND I MEAN YEARS.....Only vacation (which they get like 6 months notice ) or the odd funeral (no control over notice).

fivelittleones
08-20-2015, 10:55 AM
Sandylynn....you need to give yourself a break! wow, no sick days in years?! lol. I have it in my contract to expect 8 personal/sick days per calendar year and Christmas break is not part of my vacation time. I operate the same as our school system, except for PA days, of course I'm still open, but everything else is the same as our school system. I will always take 2 weeks holidays during the summer because I need them. I crave quality family time and I need a break as much as I love my job. It's nice to go on trips with the family as well.

I don't charge for sick days, because people are left to find alternate care. I'm considering maybe adding 1 week paid vacation for any new clients, still pondering though. I never got paid vacation with any of my jobs before that and not all parents get a paid vacation. Maybe I'm too sympathetic when it comes to this one. :unsure:

mickyc
08-20-2015, 12:00 PM
I also don't have paid vacation or sick days and think it isn't the norm where I live. Oh how I wish! I don't take enough time off because I cannot afford it.

sandylynn
08-21-2015, 10:45 AM
Hi Kindertime....I don't have a 10 page contract that most people have, however they do receive 2 sheets from me ...One is a form for information purposes, including all the necessary information I need , ie, emergency contacts, allergies, immunization update....etc. etc. The second sheet they get from me is approx. 1 page including all info re, hours, sick policy...late payment fees....stat holidays they pay for ....etc. discipline, potty training...but very to the point....though you will find this hard to believe....I have NEVER EVER had a parent during an interview EVER EVER ask if I have a contract and NEVER EVER ASKED FOR ONE!!!!!!in all the years I have been in this business!!!!!!!!!

kindertime
08-21-2015, 01:09 PM
Actually, I do believe you. I have mentioned it a few times, not to attack you or criticize, but because I think you deserve better. I don't have a 10 page contract either, but I have a couple of pages the parents and I have to sign to agree to terms. It sounds a lot like your approx. 1 page of info. I really do think you deserve better treatment and should ask for it, - but I promise I will never bring it up again.